Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why can't you do that when I'm there?

Visited the distant Hove Park today and huffed and puffed around in 22:29ish behind Ben E's Brother and the Ironman. Losing fitness from not running due to achilles soreness, which improved as it warmed up. See how it goes.............

LOL.....I might have still edged it anyway......don’t feel too bad. [emoji23][emoji23]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Knee problem massively improved following long bike ride and stretching. Went to Worthing parkrun to support my son and 'accidentally' slipped barcode in my pocket - and made late decision to run it. 21.45 in perfect conditions. Pleased and relieved. Still got to monitor and nurse knee. Bronze medallist from C'wealth Games rocked up and did a 14+.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just received an email advertising this run.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=5703

The race is called The Sufferings (Sat 31/8) and here is a description from their website

The Suffer Rings

The word, Suffering noun ‘the state of undergoing pain, distress, or hardship'.

A new race taking in the best and cruellest tracks of Chanctonbury and Cissbury rings, starting at Washington village hall.

A lot of Elevation, 2126ft of ascent and descent per lap. Time Limits 3 hour time limit per lap, 12 hour over all

Starting at 8am - Washington Village Hall, School Ln, Washington, Pulborough RH20 4AP

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just received an email advertising this run.

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=5703

The race is called The Sufferings (Sat 31/8) and here is a description from their website

The Suffer Rings

The word, Suffering noun ‘the state of undergoing pain, distress, or hardship'.

A new race taking in the best and cruellest tracks of Chanctonbury and Cissbury rings, starting at Washington village hall.

A lot of Elevation, 2126ft of ascent and descent per lap. Time Limits 3 hour time limit per lap, 12 hour over all

Starting at 8am - Washington Village Hall, School Ln, Washington, Pulborough RH20 4AP

Usual type of stuff from the Sussex Trail Events loons. Bound to be fun [emoji16][emoji16] They’ve got a new date for the Southend Pier Marathon as well after it was cancelled due to the weather a couple of months ago.

The other interesting marathon they’ve got on the calendar is the one at (in) Shepton Mallet prison........porridge at the aid stations apparently

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just spent a long time looking back 6 weeks on here to find physio recommendations. Found 3; the new Jesus, [MENTION=24077]jimmygull[/MENTION] tip at Withdean and Maria Pali near Brighton Station from [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

Have opted for the latter as simple online booking form, Thursday appointment and must be good if she can get his late , middle aged body to do the mileage it does and still have the ability to run a flat out 5k every month.

I could run on Achilles but it's not right and I fear doing permanent damage.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Had a great weekend of running doing the Liverpool RNR HM and then the Vitality London 10k yesterday, However the highlight of the weekend was doing the Crosby Park Run. A very unique PR which starts on the beach and you run around 4 of the Antony Gormley Iron Man statues. They are bizzare and I had no idea that there are 100 of them dotted around in total. The running on sand part was tough as it was a lot less solid than in looked, especially once a few people have churned it up! After just over a mile you switch to the prom then the last mile is back off road on a grassy path. Well worth doing if you are up in that part of the world.
Crosby PR.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Had a great weekend of running doing the Liverpool RNR HM and then the Vitality London 10k yesterday, However the highlight of the weekend was doing the Crosby Park Run. A very unique PR which starts on the beach and you run around 4 of the Antony Gormley Iron Man statues. They are bizzare and I had no idea that there are 100 of them dotted around in total. The running on sand part was tough as it was a lot less solid than in looked, especially once a few people have churned it up! After just over a mile you switch to the prom then the last mile is back off road on a grassy path. Well worth doing if you are up in that part of the world.
View attachment 110333

Saw a few reports and lots of pictures of Liverpool RNR – looks well organised and a great place to run around. I've mentioned it to Mrs B as a potential weekend away at some point in the future...

Just the parkrun (good to see BEB and the very sweaty Gaffer) and a the continuation of the time trial experiment yesterday (down to 8:51 over 1.2 miles with plenty to spare) this BH weekend for me. Popped to the New Forest yesterday and a combination of football (I'm not used to the short fast stuff) and a 50m-ish sprint against the kids (ditto) resulted in a twingy groin this morning. Went away a bit after a couple of miles though :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The gym in my building at work is meant to be closed on Bank Holidays, but the access system isn't smart enough to know what is and what is not a BH, so being a monday - I'm always able to gain access. I smashed out a 2 hour session, plenty of free weight training but 20 minutes on the cross trainer, 20 minutes on the stairmill and 30 minutes on the Wattbike in amongst the weights, and a nice 1km row to finish. Lovely! A bit more of the same today, but fewer weights and just 10 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes on the cross trainer. I'll be cycling to Worthing and back this evening to add some miles on the bike.

I'm in Christchurch this weekend, so I'll be aiming for the Bournemouth parkrun (given that I know how to get there!) this saturday, but no Worthing 10k for me on sunday. I'm going to be getting myself into condition to try and race the Phoenix 10k at whatever my fullest speed on the day is. :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
View attachment 110333

Great stuff. You might not (yet!) be the fastest runner on this thread but your contributions are always positive, cheerful and good to read. Thanks for sharing your journey. (Furthermore, the photo shows that you might soon need to be changing your thread identity. But who's the guy in the green?)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great stuff. You might not (yet!) be the fastest runner on this thread but your contributions are always positive, cheerful and good to read. Thanks for sharing your journey. (Furthermore, the photo shows that you might soon need to be changing your thread identity. But who's the guy in the green?)

He beat me by 20” in the marathon and so did the one in the green.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
What a great weekend of running [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] ! Well done!

I also ran the Vitality London 10,000 on Monday. Great fun! Really well organised and a nice flat course around central London starting and finishing on The Mall. It seemed a lot busier than last time I ran it in 2017. I think there were around 23,000 running and it had a very competitive field. I was in the first wave behind the elites & championship runners and the start was a little chaotic with elbows flying :lolol: I felt like I was in a 1 mile race and had to really focus on not getting tripped up.

Still a lot to learn with 10k races but happy to have made it home in 35:47 which is a new 10k PB for me. Placed 376th (35th in the 40-44 age group). Just the 7 minutes 33 seconds and 375 places behind Mo who jogged home in 28:14 :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What a great weekend of running [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] ! Well done!

I also ran the Vitality London 10,000 on Monday. Great fun! Really well organised and a nice flat course around central London starting and finishing on The Mall. It seemed a lot busier than last time I ran it in 2017. I think there were around 23,000 running and it had a very competitive field. I was in the first wave behind the elites & championship runners and the start was a little chaotic with elbows flying :lolol: I felt like I was in a 1 mile race and had to really focus on not getting tripped up.

Still a lot to learn with 10k races but happy to have made it home in 35:47 which is a new 10k PB for me. Placed 376th (35th in the 40-44 age group). Just the 7 minutes 33 seconds and 375 places behind Mo who jogged home in 28:14 :lolol:

I love this. "Yeah, I just jogged home in 35:47, no big deal."

That's a fantastic time, well done! I've got a 10k in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to get in the 38s. I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near the 35s!

Meanwhile, I'm doing Ragnar Niagara Relay again this Friday/Saturday. A mixed team of 12 (6 men/6 women) doing around 300km from Coburg to Niagara Falls. We should be pretty competitive in our category if we avoid any big injuries or people getting lost (both happened last year).

Everyone does 3 legs, and I've foolishly volunteered to go last. My 3 legs are:
- 9.1k with 82m of climbing
- 7.1k with 34m of climbing
- 15k with 409m of climbing :ohmy: (there's a bonus medal for doing this leg!)

It's so much fun though. If you ever get chance to a Ragnar race, I'd highly recommend it. I know a couple of people here have done the one which finishes in Brighton. I'd be tempted to fly over for that one year.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I love this. "Yeah, I just jogged home in 35:47, no big deal."

That's a fantastic time, well done! I've got a 10k in 2 weeks and I'm hoping to get in the 38s. I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near the 35s!

Meanwhile, I'm doing Ragnar Niagara Relay again this Friday/Saturday. A mixed team of 12 (6 men/6 women) doing around 300km from Coburg to Niagara Falls. We should be pretty competitive in our category if we avoid any big injuries or people getting lost (both happened last year).

Everyone does 3 legs, and I've foolishly volunteered to go last. My 3 legs are:
- 9.1k with 82m of climbing
- 7.1k with 34m of climbing
- 15k with 409m of climbing :ohmy: (there's a bonus medal for doing this leg!)

It's so much fun though. If you ever get chance to a Ragnar race, I'd highly recommend it. I know a couple of people here have done the one which finishes in Brighton. I'd be tempted to fly over for that one year.

Haha! Many thanks [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] ! Trust me there was no jogging from me. :lolol: I was on the limit throughout, never felt comfortable and the last mile hurt. Definitely no longer in pre-Manchester shape but enjoying running for fun with no pressure at the moment.

All the best for the Ragnar Niagara Relay! That sounds epic! Does the team run the legs non-stop throughout the weekend (through the night) and is it a road race or trail or a bit of both?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Haha! Many thanks [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] ! Trust me there was no jogging from me. :lolol: I was on the limit throughout, never felt comfortable and the last mile hurt. Definitely no longer in pre-Manchester shape but enjoying running for fun with no pressure at the moment.

All the best for the Ragnar Niagara Relay! That sounds epic! Does the team run the legs non-stop throughout the weekend (through the night) and is it a road race or trail or a bit of both?

Thanks! Yes, our start time is 11am on Friday and we run through the night and hopefully finish in about 25 hours (according to our estimated paces). They stagger the starts to help with organising volunteers and try and get all the teams finishing within a couple of hours of each other. I think the earliest start is 5am, the latest is 1pm, so there's a big range of different paces and you find yourself picking off the slower teams as you get further into the race. 200 teams in total!

This is a road race, although a lot of it is spent on paved trails along the waterfront. There's a trail one I've done a couple of times which is a much different setup. Everyone camps in one place and we take it in turn to do 3 different 8k(ish) loops through the trails. Also a lot of fun, but very different.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nothing epic from me but I did manage to run 5 miles today without my hamstring blowing up. Took it very easy to start with but popped in a 7.40 min mile pace half mile in the middle just to test it didn't go at tempo.

Fitness seems to have been mostly lost after a week of no running and bad diet but I'll be on the start line for Worthing. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] are you still running it? Think there's a few other non-NSC Brighton fans runnning too.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks! Yes, our start time is 11am on Friday and we run through the night and hopefully finish in about 25 hours (according to our estimated paces). They stagger the starts to help with organising volunteers and try and get all the teams finishing within a couple of hours of each other. I think the earliest start is 5am, the latest is 1pm, so there's a big range of different paces and you find yourself picking off the slower teams as you get further into the race. 200 teams in total!

This is a road race, although a lot of it is spent on paved trails along the waterfront. There's a trail one I've done a couple of times which is a much different setup. Everyone camps in one place and we take it in turn to do 3 different 8k(ish) loops through the trails. Also a lot of fun, but very different.

That sounds like brilliant fun! While you're on your leg does the rest of your team follow behind in a car? Just had a look online and the Ragnar White Cliffs from Sittingbourne to Brighton via Dover looks great.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That sounds like brilliant fun! While you're on your leg does the rest of your team follow behind in a car? Just had a look online and the Ragnar White Cliffs from Sittingbourne to Brighton via Dover looks great.

Yes. We have 2 vans, with 6 people in each. Van 1 goes first, with each person doing their leg in turn and then they have a break once they hand over to van 2 (repeat 3 times). You get dropped off to do your leg and usually your van will meet you somewhere along the route to cheer you on and give you water. Then the van drives to the next handover point to drop off the next person and pick up the incoming person.

There's also the option of doing an ultra, where there's only 6 people in one van. This is the same approach except you just carry on the whole way and do twice as many legs each. They get the choice of either 3 double legs each, or 6 single legs each.

That White Cliffs race is the one I was talking about. I'd love to do it one year. I like how it's a road/trail mix.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nothing epic from me but I did manage to run 5 miles today without my hamstring blowing up. Took it very easy to start with but popped in a 7.40 min mile pace half mile in the middle just to test it didn't go at tempo.

Fitness seems to have been mostly lost after a week of no running and bad diet but I'll be on the start line for Worthing. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] are you still running it? Think there's a few other non-NSC Brighton fans runnning too.

Yes I’ll be there. Looking forward to it. Hoping for a pb but I’ve just had 11 consecutive days of drinking 1.5/2 bottles of wine. Hoping my mileage offset some as I covered 90k in those 11 days. Also ran in temperatures between 22-25 degrees so the forecasted 19 degrees for Worthing Sunday shouldn’t be too problematic.

I’ll see you there. Anyone else running?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Yes. We have 2 vans, with 6 people in each. Van 1 goes first, with each person doing their leg in turn and then they have a break once they hand over to van 2 (repeat 3 times). You get dropped off to do your leg and usually your van will meet you somewhere along the route to cheer you on and give you water. Then the van drives to the next handover point to drop off the next person and pick up the incoming person.

There's also the option of doing an ultra, where there's only 6 people in one van. This is the same approach except you just carry on the whole way and do twice as many legs each. They get the choice of either 3 double legs each, or 6 single legs each.

That White Cliffs race is the one I was talking about. I'd love to do it one year. I like how it's a road/trail mix.

That sounds epic mate! Love the idea of a team relay. All the best and have a great time out there!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes I’ll be there. Looking forward to it. Hoping for a pb but I’ve just had 11 consecutive days of drinking 1.5/2 bottles of wine. Hoping my mileage offset some as I covered 90k in those 11 days. Also ran in temperatures between 22-25 degrees so the forecasted 19 degrees for Worthing Sunday shouldn’t be too problematic.

I’ll see you there. Anyone else running?

Excellent stuff. 2 bottles a day. That’s Zatopek standard, post Olympic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here