Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Saunders sent down

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Eh? I thought he'd been convicted and sentenced?

Plead guilty and jailed, but not convicted - how does that work?[/QUOTET
Think the point is 10 weeks for fail to supply a sample of breath for analysis.. if im honest that seems harsh. He was not convicted of drink driving as he failed to provide which is a different offence.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I once helped a stupidly selfish young teenage driver out of her crashed car before being hit with a wave of alcohol. Police charged her with drink driving, she played the system like Saunders did, including not turning up to court, and in the end case against her just collapsed wasting loads of people’s time and a great deal of tax payers money no doubt. Wish I’d never bothered to see if she was ok let alone phone and collect her nearby worried mum on her behalf - especially because she ran off and hid from the police before they found her in a garden couple of roads away. Destroyed several innocent people’s parked cars too. Utter selfish prick contributing nothing but cost to society.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Eh? I thought he'd been convicted and sentenced?

Plead guilty and jailed, but not convicted - how does that work?[/QUOTET
Think the point is 10 weeks for fail to supply a sample of breath for analysis.. if im honest that seems harsh. He was not convicted of drink driving as he failed to provide which is a different offence.

Semantics. covered in blood, ten witnesses saw you do it but no one can find the knife. Still guilty. Pass the black cap to m’lord and get on with it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree completely but are you not appalled that a police officer's bodycam footage is available to NSC and anyone else?

Not at all. He (finally) pleaded guilty in court and has been convicted of an offence. That's his fault, and it's quite common for footage of people's offending to be released now. It's meant to send a message to people, and to perhaps provide a truer picture than they or their own representative might give ("I only had two pints!". The footage would have been played in court had he contested the charge, so would have been in the public domain.

If he doesn't want to appear on police videos then perhaps not getting nicked for drink driving would be a start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He hasn't been convicted..........must admit I was surprised this has been released.

Is he not appealing his conviction?

Conviction means found guilty after a trial, after originally pleading not guilty.

He pleaded guilty, and was sentenced, but he didn't like the sentence so he is appealing the sentence not a conviction.

So yes, the police are entitled to show the evidence because he pleaded guilty therefore admitted the offence

Edit, I wish Edna's post had been there when I started typing this. It would have saved me from doing so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd think that acting the way he did (like a drunk person) and failing to give a sample should be treated the same as if you had given sample and it was the highest reading.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'd think that acting the way he did (like a drunk person) and failing to give a sample should be treated the same as if you had given sample and it was the highest reading.

Yep. He’s as guilty as **** and is trying to use his money to weasel out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The whole idea of making the punishment as harsh as drink driving is to prevent people trying to weasle out of being charged for drink driving.
He tried to delay the breath test because he was hoping time would reduce the alcohol level.
Another ploy is to ask for drinks of water. The police are wise to it, so a refusal is classed as a very serious offence.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's good they release the bodycam footage, it's a deterrent to everyone else and it also keeps the OB professional - everyone's a winner.

I'm not sure why people think it's harsh, if all you had to do to get away with drink driving is refuse a breath test then all the drink drivers would just refuse, surely that's obvious :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wonder how long he has been on meds for his knees....bet it’s a while and if taking it affects your ability to drive he surely would have known ....to most sensible people (I could be giving him too much credit)..one of the things you ask when prescribed drugs is whether you can drink alcohol.....but then I think most people are going to believe he drank far more than he admitted

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The whole idea of making the punishment as harsh as drink driving is to prevent people trying to weasle out of being charged for drink driving.
He tried to delay the breath test because he was hoping time would reduce the alcohol level.
Another ploy is to ask for drinks of water. The police are wise to it, so a refusal is classed as a very serious offence.

The other option for not taking a breath test should be water boarding. This would a) encourage more people to do the right thing b) help sober up those that don’t. Think that’s what’s called a win win!! I thank you...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
All this could have been avoided by getting a taxi or getting a friend to drive. Money is surely not an issue. Despite being drunk with an option to drive in the past, I have always resisted that temptation.
Bloody stupid and deserves everything he gets IMO

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Wonder how long he has been on meds for his knees....bet it’s a while and if taking it affects your ability to drive he surely would have known ....to most sensible people (I could be giving him too much credit)..one of the things you ask when prescribed drugs is whether you can drink alcohol.....but then I think most people are going to believe he drank far more than he admitted

that meandering nonsense must be a homage to [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] ,yes?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
All this could have been avoided by getting a taxi or getting a friend to drive. Money is surely not an issue. Despite being drunk with an option to drive in the past, I have always resisted that temptation.
Bloody stupid and deserves everything he gets IMO

This is it. His journey was Chester racecourse to The paddocks in Whitegate, it's 16 miles, 29 minutes in a car. He was wankered, he's a fu*king idiot to not get a cab, I bet it would only be about £20 or £30 quid up there.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Nice of you to take the time to analyse his blatant bullshit

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This is it. His journey was Chester racecourse to The paddocks in Whitegate, it's 16 miles, 29 minutes in a car. He was wankered, he's a fu*king idiot to not get a cab, I bet it would only be about £20 or £30 quid up there.

Indeed. I'm not convinced of the trend in releasing of these videos, conviction and punishment is a matter for the courts not the police. It seems harsh to add humiliation on top of a sentence.

On a broader note, they say 'never meet your heroes' - It's not really an option in the modern world, your heroes' actions get plastered (see what I did there) all over the web. Fantastic player, bit of a knob, sad really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here