Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football and mental health

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294687

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t agree with a lot of what you have typed. I have spent a lot of my professional life working in the area of neuroscience so I’m acutely aware of what depression is, it’s debilitating affects and its ability to impact anyone seemingly indiscriminately. My mother suffered from it. 2 good friends have suffered. And replying specifically to your post it’s a massive problem with middle aged men.

Your attitude really does not help.

Yours, a liberal snowflake.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS that’s the polite response :wink:

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I think the problem with people understanding depression is they think of it in terms of someone feeling depressed because their life is crap and therefore if someone has a seemingly good life it doesn’t make sense that they are depressed.

If depression is viewed like other mental health illnesses such as bipolar or schizophrenia, i.e. it’s an internal condition in the brain and not a reaction to outside conditions, it probably makes sense that anyone can suffer from it.

I’m not expert in the matter so the above might not be completely correct but I think it’s sort of correct.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Danny Rose crops up yet again talking about mental health and football. Damn right a club who were about to invest millions in transfer fee / wages carried out due diligence in him. Any sensible business about to make a large financial commitment would. I find it hard to believe they actually used the word 'crazy' but hey don't let the truth get in the way about a 'mental health' story.

The participants in the documentary (a selection of current and ex footballers and a Prince) don't know the meaning of the word 'depression.' Try being diagnosed with a life changing illness and not being able to work and seeing ya income dry up risking losing your home or working endless hours for a pittance never being able to afford any of life's pleasures. That's depression.

Those in the documentary have no idea of the real world, never done a proper days work and who have earned fortunes playing a game. No doubt after filming had ended they jumped into their expensive cars and drove back to their mansions. Or in Danny Rose's case maybe gone to London to spend thousands of pounds (as he stated he does) and he has the audacity to talk about depression.

No doubt the usual liberal snowflakes will have a field day over the above and spout the usual guff about 'it's not about how much money you've got' but having a few million in the bank must help.

Mental Health Problems are a ''State of Mind'' - Money fame or material items are not a penicillin which renders human beings immune to it.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I don’t agree with a lot of what you have typed. I have spent a lot of my professional life working in the area of neuroscience so I’m acutely aware of what depression is, it’s debilitating affects and its ability to impact anyone seemingly indiscriminately. My mother suffered from it. 2 good friends have suffered. And replying specifically to your post it’s a massive problem with middle aged men.

Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You really are part of the problem, [MENTION=15278]Beach Seagull[/MENTION].

Mental health is not comparative, it's not a competition. It doesn't matter how much money you have, as in Danny Rose's case. Everyone is in their own balance, which can tip either way very suddenly. And I say that as someone trying to tip the scales back the other way to get on a more even footing again.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"You don't know how good you've got it" applies to David Bendtner when he complains about not being able to take his family skiing because he's a footballer. Boo ****ing hoo.

It doesn't apply when a footballer talks about depression.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah maybe it is with middle aged men but not millionaire middle aged men. Not dismissing mental health but I am millionaire footballers who claim to suffer from it.

You think mental health depends on how much money someone has?

You have to be on a wind up.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

Gosh, it is not often that I agree so wholeheartedly with a post of yours.

Depression is indeed not a function of outside circumstances (e.g. job, wealth), but is either a chemical imbalance in the brain (as experienced in my family also), or one's own reaction to perceived outside events. Learned helplessness and repressed anger over a period will often lead to clinical depression. So the solution is either to correct the chemical imbalance or help the person change their reaction to the world (this is what I have practiced with coaching).

Interestingly there are now functional medicine doctors coming up with natural supplements that can cure imbalances, rather than using chemical anti-depressants. There is a chap in USA (cant remember his name) who researched lots of violent offenders, and came to the conclusion that a Vitamin B deficit was a common, major cause. It was also discovered that towns with a high Lithium content in the water supply had less violent crime.

Anyway, in conclusion, I agree that the original poster is barking up the wrong tree.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It's people like you that make it extremely difficult for people to come out to people with mental health disorders and eventually get help. People like you help spread the myth that depression is just feeling down and moody, not a condition that effects the speed of neurons in your brain and even make them shrink. You need some education in this field.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I should leave the thread now as each comment you make is more and more embarrassing. So by your logic anyone who has a few pounds saved up will be immune from depression following the loss of a close loved one as an example. :facepalm:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I have very little knowledge of depression apart from the fact my Father and Brother suffer from it. Neither are wealthy, and poverty seems to drag them into varying depressive states - and the medication just seems to make them even more muddled. I've had plenty of crap things happen to me, and I've been truly upset, cried and felt emotionally drained. That's not depression in the medical sense.

My Daughter has corrected me several times and told me it can often be a chemical thing, often completely unrelated to outside influences (wealth, fame etc). I tend to agree that's it's a chemically imbalanced state of mind, possibly.

I've been thoroughly miserable, properly miserable, to the core, sipping champagne and eating Caviar and Smoked Salmon in a First Class 'Pod' on a British Airways flight to New York. I was equally as miserable sat in the Burj Al Arab having Dinner, thinking my Aston Martin really needed servicing when I got home. Conversely, one of the happiest memories of any holiday is sitting with a 99p beer on the wooden decking of a 36ft x 12ft Mobile Home on a campsite in the South of France, staring at my knackered Peugeot 405 and wondering if it'll get me back home to Eastbourne... Go figure.

Money doesn't always make you happy. Some of the unhappiest people I've met have been extremely wealthy. Sometimes having wealth can be oppressive - they're always suspicious as to why someone wants to befriend them and what they want from it. I'm sure footballers can be the same.

I think the difference is "depression" isn't just plain old "being thoroughly down and pissed off" as I understand it....

I will say again that I'm no expert. It's only my tuppeny's worth.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

If a millionaire footballer suffered from bipolar disorder would you accept that? If so, then the issue is with your understanding of what depression is. Yes money can make it easier to deal with because it takes away other problems that could compound the issue and means you can afford private help if you choose to seek help, but it does not make you immune from depression.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A few “millionaire footballers” have taken their lives. This is obviously the very extreme end of depression but maybe this will stop and make you rethink your original post?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What interests me is how come everyone is suddenly talking about mental health. It seems like every second person has a mental health problem. Can't turn on the tele or the radio without someone bleating on about it. Turn the clock back 50 years and it wasn't a subject that was mentioned very often. There were a few folks in St Francis Hospital and that was about it. So what has happened? Is it just a passing fashion? Is it caused by too many people having too much "stuff" and a lot of other people getting overly upset because they don't have as much "stuff" as their friends and neighbours? How much of it is drugs related? How come it is now talked about as a major problem whereas 50 years ago it wasn't? Has the world gone mad?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Sounds terrible.

Try having a good job, being able to pay bills, have a loving girlfriend and, on the face of it, a pretty damn good life. Except for whatever reason you struggle to get out of bed every morning. When you're in large groups of people all you want to do is escape. When going to the football with your mates and your dad sounds like a great day but you just can't face heading out of that door knowing you might get asked the question "Everything alright?"

That's also depression. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
What interests me is how come everyone is suddenly talking about mental health. It seems like every second person has a mental health problem. Can't turn on the tele or the radio without someone bleating on about it. Turn the clock back 50 years and it wasn't a subject that was mentioned very often. There were a few folks in St Francis Hospital and that was about it. So what has happened? Is it just a passing fashion? Is it caused by too many people having too much "stuff" and a lot of other people getting overly upset because they don't have as much "stuff" as their friends and neighbours? How much of it is drugs related? How come it is now talked about as a major problem whereas 50 years ago it wasn't? Has the world gone mad?
No, the world is a little bit less mad, and people are now able to communicate like never before, so discussions can actually be had

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here