Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stephens

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
They can’t stand Dale Stephens, then carefully look for an error or two in his 90 minutes, to fit as ‘evidence’ around their conclusion that he’s shit.

Pathetic from Albion ‘supporters’.

We have form - Barnes, David Lopez, Hemed and Murray.

Remind me how many goals he’s got in nearly two seasons ?
Oh I forgot that’s not his job blah blah blah shite not good enough along with a few others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
True, but after 88 minutes of Dunk and Duffy throwing themselves in the way of everything, for a player to turn his back on a shot is so frustrating ...

You make it sound like a two man display the whole team defended brilliantly, they all won headers, won tackles and blocked shots. At first I thought Ryan could have done better but the ball came through so many players he must have seen it late.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So pleased that none of these Stephens haters spouting their virtriol from the 1st minute sit anywhere near me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So pleased that none of these Stephens haters spouting their virtriol from the 1st minute sit anywhere near me.

I have one at The Amex who sits directly behind me and it gets really annoying when he passes the same comment at every pass irrespective of how Stephens delivers it or to where.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have one at The Amex who sits directly behind me and it gets really annoying when he passes the same comment at every pass irrespective of how Stephens delivers it or to where.

I regularly hear them at half time as I go up to the lounge hurling abuse at him as he comes to the tunnel. Pathetic. Luckily far enough away that I can’t hear them from my seat.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I regularly hear them at half time as I go up to the lounge hurling abuse at him as he comes to the tunnel. Pathetic. Luckily far enough away that I can’t hear them from my seat.

Let's be honest, we all have one or two FORWARDS STEPHENS bellends near us somewhere.

There's a few on this forum.

Played well last night, looks more of a captain than Dunk is.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Then you, and they, are a bit clueless

There were plenty of good things that Stephens did during the game, plenty of clearances, etc and he did a great job and he certainly didn't let the team down.

To have some 'fans' nit-pick, trying to find fault and lay the blame at the feet of 1 player for a defeat when they have all performed heroically is pathetic.

I'm pretty sure that if Stephens been the one to have had the shot shortly before their goal rather than Kayal, and then it was Kayal in that position defending their shot from which they'd scored in the same way that Stephens did, then the same people would still be looking to lay the blame on Stephens for the goal (because he'd conceded possession with that shot) as those 'fans' seem to have an agenda against one of our own players, no matter how well he played. So much for #together.

Wasn’t talking about the whole game, just that shot. I thought his reaction was really poor. I think he and Kayal should both have done better and Kayal, like Murray before him was stupid for having that shot from distance.

Overall I actually thought Stephens played ok last night like most of the team.

I’m just never going to be a Stephens fan. For a defensive midfielder I just don’t think he’s very good at the defensive side of the game which really frustrates me. His positional awareness, ability to read and intercept and tackling is poor. I believe he’s a real weak link for us by what I see on the pitch and statistics back that up as I’ve pointed out before. I actually think his passing is ok though and I’ll admit when he plays well like last night and Palace but it is nowhere near often enough for me.

We all have players we like more or less than others and it’s a fan forum so I can’t see the problem in expressing that on here. We don’t all have to blindly defend every player. I find it strange why his ‘fans’ have to get so constantly agressively defensive of him - those of us who don’t rate him are clueless etc.

For what it’s worth, I was a big fan of Ashley Barnes, David Lopez and Chris Wood so I’m not just jumping on a bandwagon.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The worst display I’ve ever seen by a premier league footballer, and with some of the other players in our side playing the way they are, that’s some honour.

I assume those who slagged off Bissouma for Bournemouth’s first goal will do the same for Stephens after this goal. Embarassing. Not just lacking ability but also effort and desire. Get rid first opportunity.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The worst display I’ve ever seen by a premier league footballer, and with some of the other players in our side playing the way they are, that’s some honour.

I assume those who slagged off Bissouma for Bournemouth’s first goal will do the same for Stephens after this goal. Embarassing. Not just lacking ability but also effort and desire. Get rid first opportunity.

I don't slag off my team or the fans of my team, but you are a dick. this is my opinion as is yours on Stephens. Not personal Neil but every team has a workhorse who breaks up play. Dale is ours. not everyones cup of tea but hey ho

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stephens absolutely bossed that 2nd half, motm for me.

2nd half I made a point of watching what he did with the ball and he kept it and moved it better than anyone, hardly ever went backwards. Second half MOTM for me too.

1st half I was so angry I didn’t see anyone who played well, the ball was a hot potato and the closing down was pathetic. We conceded because we kept backing off. Really irritated me that Newcastle, who had nothing to play for closed us down whilst when they had the ball we made no effort to take it off them. Abysmal first half.

seagull1970

Apr 7, 2019

He was awful today. Virtually every pass was back and no imagination. Hopefully gone in the summer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2nd half I made a point of watching what he did with the ball and he kept it and moved it better than anyone, hardly ever went backwards. Second half MOTM for me too.

1st half I was so angry I didn’t see anyone who played well, the ball was a hot potato and the closing down was pathetic. We conceded because we kept backing off. Really irritated me that Newcastle, who had nothing to play for closed us down whilst when they had the ball we made no effort to take it off them. Abysmal first half.

Worst first half for me since Millwall visited when Hyppia was in charge!

What that starting XI was is anyone’s guess.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I do find it fickle of fans, and bloody hilarious, how they can change their views on 45 mins. He showed himself in the second half today, something he can't be accused of for about 25 games this season, makes him no better than he was('nt).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I do find it fickle of fans, and bloody hilarious, how they can change their views on 45 mins. He showed himself in the second half today, something he can't be accused of for about 25 games this season, makes him no better than he was('nt).

Some of us have always rated him, myself included. Yes he’s had some bad games, Cardiff in particular, but over the season he has been one of our better players imo.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Did you not watch Izquierdo play then today? It was Stephen's excellent cross field pass that lead to our goal and second half he was as good as anyone on the pitch.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Some of us have always rated him, myself included. Yes he’s had some bad games, Cardiff in particular, but over the season he has been one of our better players imo.

Never had a view really, I'm ok with him I guess, but he has had some stand out awful games recently. I did want to see him dropped so he could know he wasn't a shoe in. He was the best midfielder in his role in our previous league, he's not even in the top 20 of the league we are in now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

This.

Thought he was one of the better ones today, even in the first half.

It can’t be easy playing with Kayal who appears to have zero discipline in terms of team shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here