Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today: Albion 2 Charlton 0 (att. 30,859 - but why?)

Charlton arrived at the GG in14th place
and I don't remember them having a huge following for this game. The previous match against Notts County attracted 21,398, a few hundred up on the previous home match, which in turn was also a few hundred up on the one before. The next previous home match was Palace, but even that drew in over 7,000 fewer than this game. Can anyone remember why?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Charlton arrived at the GG in14th place
and I don't remember them having a huge following for this game. The previous match against Notts County attracted 21,398, a few hundred up on the previous home match, which in turn was also a few hundred up on the one before. The next previous home match was Palace, but even that drew in over 7,000 fewer than this game. Can anyone remember why?

It was Good Friday.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I remember that game well. We were going for the title amd it was Easter weekend. There's two reasons for the high attendance.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I remember that game well. We were going for the title amd it was Easter weekend. There's two reasons for the high attendance.

Beautiful weather too. A full away pen.

charltoncrowd (1).jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
That's a fabulous pic! So did Charlton just have the corner i.e. up to the staircase just to the north side of Gerry Ryan (or is it Lawro?)

I think the pic is from the JV book.

Looks like they have the standard pen. So I guess there is a couple of thousand in there. Apparently there were jams on the old 23 that day.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Great photo! I was only 10 years old but that was one of my earliest and most memorable visits to the Goldstone.
I remember taking a plastic milk bottle crate to stand on and we arrive about 1.30pm and it was already heaving on the East Terrace.
In the run up to kick off it just got more and more rammed until we literally were packed like a tin of sardines.
Happy days!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I think the pic is from the JV book.

Looks like they have the standard pen. So I guess there is a couple of thousand in there. Apparently there were jams on the old 23 that day.

The A23 was murder that day. Travelling down from Manchester, thought that I had loads of time to drop wife and toddler off at Patcham - until we hit the queues. It was a lovely day and there were loads of daytrippers on their way to the coast and in places the A23 was only single carriageway.
I detoured over Ditchling Beacon then got my mum to drop me off as parking would have been miles away (the cars were parked up the Drive/Woodruff etc all the way to Dyke road.)
I remember the Paul Clarke blaster from outside the box into the North Stand goal!
3 games in 4 days then.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember being surprised at how much fuller the terraces were getting when I arrived at about 2. It wasn't unusual in the 70s to get those sudden spikes in attendance on public holidays when we were doing well. Boxing Day v Bournemouth in 71/2 saw a crowd of 30k when the average so far that season was probably nearer 15. Crowds also seemed to get a boost when we moved a daytime game from a Saturday; I seem to remember crowds going up for those Sunday games in the early 70s. We talk a lot about fixture congestion but I we played Charlton that Friday and then played at Ninian Park the next afternoon.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It’s easy to forget how but in the old days when you could just rock up and pay at the gate attendances could vary massively just because it was a nice sunny day. Suspect that explains the difference between the two.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
When Wardy went to Forest, he was on a grand a week. Seriously good money then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here