Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yves Bissouma learning English

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why don't we celebrate HAGACHD, once a month, it seems the norm these days.
Usually pick on one of the players, so why not escalate to manager then senior club officials :shrug:
We are PL after all :facepalm:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I saw an interview with Alexis Sanchez yesterday, the blokes been here for 5 years and seemingly still can't speak a word of english. I'm sure he's a busy man though, that £500k a week isn't going to spend itself now is it.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is to learn a foreign language. Especially to a level where you can confidently speak in public knowing full well that whatever you say will be reported around the world.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think people underestimate how difficult it is to learn a foreign language. Especially to a level where you can confidently speak in public knowing full well that whatever you say will be reported around the world.

Footballers only say the same things anyway. If he took the Hughton course, he'd only need to learn about 6 sentences.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

a bhaalsuu myaha m, 500,000 paung tait parat kotinek m hpyuann parbhuu

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

English is piss easy, I learnt it by the time I was 4 years old. Shirley anyone could learn it if they give it a go. Hill loose respect from his team if he don't learn it soon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's total bollocks. Last week, I watched a video of a 15-year Swedish schoolgirl address a UN conference on climate change, speaking in absolutely fluent English on a heavy scientific subject. She's also given a TED talk on the subject.

Given that, are you seriously suggesting that someone, in five years, can't learn enough English to give a 30-second interview?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Good on Yves for taking english lessons though. I saw an interview with Alexis Sanchez yesterday, the blokes been here for 5 years and seemingly still can't speak a word of english. I'm sure he's a busy man though, that £500k a week isn't going to spend itself now is it.

Ditto Gareth Bale. Speaking in gestures after being Madrid for such a long time thanks to learning so few words. I just find that to be bleeding rude.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
That's total bollocks. Last week, I watched a video of a 15-year Swedish schoolgirl address a UN conference on climate change, speaking in absolutely fluent English on a heavy scientific subject. She's also given a TED talk on the subject.

Given that, are you seriously suggesting that someone, in five years, can't learn enough English to give a 30-second interview?

Similar, I watched a swedish school pupil of about 20 years old, in detention, undress a male school teacher on the subject of how boring maths is.

Her English was astonishing.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

And yet, Paul Merson still hasn’t mastered it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Seriously? Surely you can see the difference between the Swedish school girl and a Chilean footballer who moved to England when he was about 26.

How many languages have you learnt in your adult life?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chris Hughton on Yves Bissouma (from the Club website)

“He’s having English lessons and he’s improving — but probably not to the level where he’s comfortable. The most important thing is ability, but it can’t not help you if you don't know the language and you’re able to communicate."

Poor Yves. I guess he isn't using enough double negatives (incorrectly) yet1

'Yves - you're on a yellow, don't not do anything really stupid that might mean you not playing in the next round'

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Swedes and Swiss kids start learning English at around 3 in school, so not really a fair comparison. Plus all footballers are thick... [emoji23]

With Hughton, he even said Derby are a good team, they were dog shit for 80 minutes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Swedes and Swiss kids start learning English at around 3 in school, so not really a fair comparison. Plus all footballers are thick... [emoji23]

With Hughton, he even said Derby are a good team, they were dog shit for 80 minutes.

We haven't had a single match whilst he been here where it's been anything other than 'these are a good team'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
“He’s having English lessons and he’s improving — but probably not to the level where he’s comfortable. The most important thing is ability, but it can’t not help you if you don't know the language and you’re able to communicate."

Poor Yves. I guess he isn't using enough double negatives (incorrectly) yet1

Has Chris been hanging out in Ipswich lately ?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Yves Bissouma should first learn that if you are taking the third exit from the roundabout at the bottom of Grinstead Lane, you should be in the outside lane on approach.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How many languages have you learnt in your adult life?

Er... I've lived in England all my adult life so I haven't had to learn another language. But if I did move somewhere, I'd hope to be pretty fluent within a year.

As it happens, I've learned German well enough to go to the cinema or theatre in Germany and understand what I'm watching or to go to a social gathering and hold conversations. I've also learned enough Welsh and Italian to know the basics,hold rudimentary conversations and follow about 50% of TV or films. All of these were as an adult.

Swedes and Swiss kids start learning English at around 3 in school, so not really a fair comparison.

Swedish kids don't start school until they're 6 and don't start learning English until they're 8 or 9.

And she didn't just answer a few rudimentary phrases, she spoke fluently for 15 minutes during the TED talk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here