Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio Two really is rubbish

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...if anyone can suggest a station that plays some soul( Atlanta, Motown, Stax etc), some of the better rock stuff( no Def Leopard, Guns and Roses) some folky type stuff, (James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Don McClean etc) the better end of more modern stuff, lots of 60s and 70s classics, and no wailing women( Whitney, Celina Dion, Mariah Carey) I would be very grateful.

Bachman–Turner Overdrive?

Attachments

• Smashie_and_Nicey.jpg
    Smashie_and_Nicey.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 277

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
R6 in spades. . . Most of the time!

Still mainly about the music for me.
R2 used to play a general mix of Motown type soul, a bit of rock, some more mainstream indie, 80s electronic pop, and 70s , 80s and 90s classics and new, more middle of the road stuff, ( Robbie Williams, Boyzone, Buble etc)
Now, it appears that they mainly play little girl music, Ariadne Grande,Sia, Rita Ora, and boy bands, or derivatives there of.

So, like others on here, I’ve started to listen to Virgin, but they have a very small playlist and appear to play the same songs every day,just in a different order.
So, if anyone can suggest a station that plays some soul( Atlanta, Motown, Stax etc), some of the better rock stuff( no Def Leopard, Guns and Roses) some folky type stuff, (James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Don McClean etc) the better end of more modern stuff, lots of 60s and 70s classics, and no wailing women( Whitney, Celina Dion, Mariah Carey) I would be very grateful.

And I must add, lots and lots of Bowie and Springsteen.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
10:25, switch over for Pop Master. Once that's over back to my playlists via Alexa or Absolute 80s.

Couldn't agree more. I play Popmaster every day with a mate at work. We even have a spreadsheet set up.
Absolute 80's and Heart 80's is good via Sonos. Virgin not available on there so use Alexa when away from UK.
I know Mr Evans is not everyone's cup of tea but Mr Controller at R2 must be thinking what the **** have I done giving Zoe Ball the gig. Lisa Tarbuck or Simon Mayo would have slotted in there nicely.
I need to give 6 music a go as this features heavily on this thread.
I also listen to Nostalgie from Belgium or Holland. Superb.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He is. And behind the faux jokey persona, the wally is a snide and narrow minded musically.

Yep - spot on old friend.

The thing with mainstream radio is that the clue is in the word mainstream. For me as someone who loves 'new' bands like Horisont, Brutus and Graveyard, well I'm unlikely to be blown away by Radio 2 getting 'out there' by playing Black Night or God forbid Speed King by Deep Purple. I was also disgusted with R2 when the late great Jon Lord passed away, they insisted on playing Smoke... relentlessly and Hush (okay the latter is keyboard cool), but they were too scared to 'upset' their key demographic by going for a bit of Burn or even Highway Star for Gods sake.

Steve Wright, sorry to go on, is the most annoying persona on radio - he's a total toolbox. To the extent that he bills himself above his oft world famous special guests, talks over them, all the good music he plays he ruins by insisting on singing over the intro/outro (if he lets a song get that far!...) When did he lose all respect for the art he's supposed to (I guess) love and promote? On top of all of this he's at times (deliberately, surely?!?) vacuous, vapid and totally insincere. He comes across as a horrible man. Pretty much the polar opposite to the genuinely funny and at times warm Simon Mayo, whom has been allowed to drift into the enlightening world of classical music - good on him.

I don't have to listen to it (R2), and I don't.

Kosh

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Steve Wright, sorry to go on, is the most annoying persona on radio - he's a total toolbox. To the extent that he bills himself above his oft world famous special guests, talks over them, all the good music he plays he ruins by insisting on singing over the intro/outro (if he lets a song get that far!...) When did he lose all respect for the art he's supposed to (I guess) love and promote? On top of all of this he's at times (deliberately, surely?!?) vacuous, vapid and totally insincere. He comes across as a horrible man. Pretty much the polar opposite to the genuinely funny and at times warm Simon Mayo, whom has been allowed to drift into the enlightening world of classical music - good on him.

Kosh

And I know it's been done before, but

Radio 2 publicity photo

p00sxjk5.jpg

Real life

PAY-FLYNET-Exclusive-Steve-Wright-Braves-The-Rain-In-London.jpg

(I believe these to be actual size :eek:)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep - spot on old friend.

The thing with mainstream radio is that the clue is in the word mainstream. For me as someone who loves 'new' bands like Horisont, Brutus and Graveyard, well I'm unlikely to be blown away by Radio 2 getting 'out there' by playing Black Night or God forbid Speed King by Deep Purple. I was also disgusted with R2 when the late great Jon Lord passed away, they insisted on playing Smoke... relentlessly and Hush (okay the latter is keyboard cool), but they were too scared to 'upset' their key demographic by going for a bit of Burn or even Highway Star for Gods sake.

Kosh

I always think of Wnkr Steve Wright in the same breath as Jonathan King (without the crimes).

An boring obsession with middle of the road white US bilge from the 70’s and 80’s, Adrian Gurvitz, REO Speedwagon and Christopher Cross. Whilst unable to see the brilliance of music from his own country - Joy Division, The Jam, The Stranglers, New Order, The Smiths, The Cure, The Bunnymen.

A bore.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What the hell has happened?? I've just read through all seven pages of posts and it appears that every poster has agreed with me. That never ever happens to me on NSC. Have you all gone soft?? Where are the insults? Where's the name-calling? I'm going to have a lie down.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
WFMU can be a good listen.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Couldn't agree more. I play Popmaster every day with a mate at work. We even have a spreadsheet set up.
Absolute 80's and Heart 80's is good via Sonos. Virgin not available on there so use Alexa when away from UK.
I know Mr Evans is not everyone's cup of tea but Mr Controller at R2 must be thinking what the **** have I done giving Zoe Ball the gig. Lisa Tarbuck or Simon Mayo would have slotted in there nicely.
I need to give 6 music a go as this features heavily on this thread.
I also listen to Nostalgie from Belgium or Holland. Superb.

Virgin is on Sonos
I listen to it at work on Sonos.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Virgin is on Sonos. I listen to it at work on Sonos.

Sorry, should have said; I'm talking about when I am at my house down in Czech. Virgin is strangely blocked on Sonos but fine on Alexa.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Back in the day Steve Wright was actually quite cutting edge on Radio 1 and was the first to do the 'posse' thing. Radio 1 shot themselves in the foot when he quit the breakfast show because he was streets ahead of the dinosaurs they cleared out. That said he has long become something of a parody of himself.

I liked Chris Evans when he took over from Wogan (and on drive time before that) but I think it was probably time for something new. Simon Mayo was very solid and I have some time for Jo Whiley but bringing them together by force to help the gender balance was doomed to failure.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back in the day Steve Wright was actually quite cutting edge on Radio 1 and was the first to do the 'posse' thing. Radio 1 shot themselves in the foot when he quit the breakfast show because he was streets ahead of the dinosaurs they cleared out. That said he has long become something of a parody of himself.

I liked Chris Evans when he took over from Wogan (and on drive time before that) but I think it was probably time for something new. Simon Mayo was very solid and I have some time for Jo Whiley but bringing them together by force to help the gender balance was doomed to failure.

I listened to R1 all the time in those early Steve Wright days and he was crap then as well.

All about the music. He’d play The Eagles perfectly uninterrupted, whilst talking over and bunging in yawn sounds over New Wave or post Punk music. With time wasted with the posse of fellow nerds talking about ‘interesting’ facts. John Peel, Annie Nightingale and others talked far less, playing as much music as possible.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
6 Music. There's your answer.

I have tried 6 Music quite a few times recently. It's better than Radio Two by far, but they play rap "music" far too often for my liking which forces me to turn the sound right down, and there's a woman on in the morning with a "DJ parody" voice who I really find irritating.

And I listen to a fair amount of Radio Four where there are some gems like "More or Less".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here