Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wait - it’s Western governments’ responsibility to make horny African men wear a Johnny and frightened African women say no to sex and no to another member of the family, who are one drought or disease away from having their numbers halved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea why you are concentrating on Africans, its a bit infantile. Over population is a global issue.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
What a shitty post and an insult to many.
Laziness and ignorance of their parents and grandparents generations?
A lot of the older generation are just as environmentally aware as most youngsters, but they are perhaps not quite so idealistic about life and don't feel the need to spout forth on the subject.

I know a lot of the older generation are environmentally aware. But this is an issue created by that generation and it’s going to be up to these kids to sort it out- they’ll have no choice unlike their parents and grandparents who will be dead by the time the real issues start.

And it is due to laziness and ignorance- what else is it due to?

Edit- and I include myself in that. I have a son and I dread to think what kind of world he’s going to grow up in- I doubt it’ll be a good one and I’ll be partly to blame for that

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Good luck with your smart phone working much more than 2 years.

I was given a used iPhone 4 in 2015, so probably already 3 years + old at that time, it's still working fine, does all I want and a fine piece of engineering ? What's not to like? Ok probably not too smart to look at but an excellent phone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wait - it’s Western governments’ responsibility to make horny African men wear a Johnny and frightened African women say no to sex and no to another member of the family, who are one drought or disease away from having their numbers halved?

not governments, but Catholic church bears some responsibility.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's past tipping point.... . 1 billion Africans don't give a shit... check out the streets of Lagos, Mogadishu, Kinshasa, Nairobi etc.. and the nearly dead Lake Victoria..... add another 50 years, then another.... result?.... dead Continent, northward migration into Europe.......

.... and Asia.... much the same, billions chucking their shit into the eco system... killing everything that moves....

15k western kids taking a short break from eating kfc and uncle Sam's... with their ps4 and mobile phones just ain't gonna make a ripple outside the news hungry local radio and tv stations.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

what do you know of what the youth of Asia are doing, or the youth of Africa?

trust me, they're making waves too....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I know a lot of the older generation are environmentally aware. But this is an issue created by that generation and it’s going to be up to these kids to sort it out- they’ll have no choice unlike their parents and grandparents who will be dead by the time the real issues start.

And it is due to laziness and ignorance- what else is it due to?

Edit- and I include myself in that. I have a son and I dread to think what kind of world he’s going to grow up in- I doubt it’ll be a good one and I’ll be partly to blame for that

Hi Stewart,I too have children and a very new grandson, but I am not as pessimistic about the future as you appear to be. I have great faith in the ingenuity of mankind to adapt to whatever life may throw up for us to deal with. Huge technological strides are being made in areas that possibly you and I aren't fully aware of. Humanity hasn't been on the planet for that long, but I think most of us would accept that life is almost certainly a lot more comfortable and safer than it was in our ancestors' days. Much of this is down to science in , for example, medicine and engineering. Yes, there are always things that with hindsight ,could have been done better, but that will always be the case. Anyway, where would we be now if the 'demon' fossil fuel engines had never been invented. Life would have been a hell of a sight harder for our ancient relatives. To accuse them of being ignorant is way too harsh. And laziness??? I don't think so.
What have the older generation done that is so lazy and ignorant? I would truly like to know. Many of the 'accused' have been recycling way before today's generation were born.

This is the throw a way society, now. Additionally, today's generation travel the world in aircraft, without batting an eyelid, they want new for old and from my experience, are not too keen on turning lights off, when not required. (Perhaps I should make them pay the bills!) Don't get me started on the crud that is left behind after festivals, either!
Seriously though, I believe that perhaps the difference in generational outlook is probably down to youthful idealism clashing with an older generation's pragmatism and greater experience of real life.
I am not going to beat myself up and I don't believe we are all doomed, although I'm not sure about the Albion!:lolol:

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
what do you know of what the youth of Asia are doing, or the youth of Africa?

trust me, they're making waves too....
Travelled extensively in Asia.... lived in various corners of the continent of Africa.... still maintain links there now...

If they are making waves, I don't think it's working.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Good on the kids and good on the miserable old farts on here to remind us why we need the kids.

:laugh::laugh:

Part of the problem or part of the solution. Easy answer for me.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I dont control governments policies on over population. It must be governments who set policies and seek solutions. At the moment there is virtually no appetite to even acknowledge the problem exists. The elephant in the room is simply brushed under the carpet as western governments at least seek increased labour to keep the profits going above all else.

So until governments tell us what to do you aren't going to do anything?

And what if people don't listen to what governments are telling them?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Travelled extensively in Asia.... lived in various corners of the continent of Africa.... still maintain links there now...

If they are making waves, I don't think it's working.

Well then you must see how things are changing amongst the youth of Asia and Africa, and how the environmental paradigm is finally being challenged in these parts of the world?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well then you must see how things are changing amongst the youth of Asia and Africa, and how the environmental paradigm is finally being challenged in these parts of the world?
That as may be... but the mostly authoritarian regimes ( even the democratic ones).... love the colour of money more than the more pastoral social considerations... it's a lost cause.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Will the protest make any difference? Absolutely not. Nothing will. There is too much money to be made from industries that are terrible for the environment. I thoroughly support their protest though, good for them.

The planet is ****ed and there's nothing can be done about it. At best future generations will have to learn to adapt to an overcrowded and very different world. At worst the planet simply won't be able to support life.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The planet is ****ed and there's nothing can be done about it.

Without wishing to start a binfest, what leads you to believe that the planet is ****ed?

If we so much as made her sneeze we'd be flung halfway across the galaxy.

I don't really understand how everyone is so convinced the planet is ****ed? There is no question that we are doing damage to various ecosystems, and we should stop doing that, but saying that "the planet is ****ed" seems a bit alarmist to me, not to mention, why bother trying to solve the environmental problems we do have if that is the case?

The climate is changing for sure, but it's always changed, got warmer, got cooler, ice expands, ice retracts, warm ages, ice ages, all of that has happened in cycles since long before we set foot on the planet. It really bugs me that people seem to be saying that a) the climate is changing = we are destroying the planet, and b) the climate is changing = we need to stop the climate from changing.

If you need to cool down, or warm up, your body will adjust it's temperature. Should you try to prevent that? Maybe the earth needs to warm up or cool down. It would certainly be bad if we were causing the planets temperatures to change, but we can't be sure we are doing that. But it would be just as bad, surely, to try to intervene in the the planets natural climate cycles?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Without wishing to start a binfest, what leads you to believe that the planet is ****ed?

I don't really understand how everyone is so convinced the planet is ****ed? There is no question that we are doing damage to various ecosystems, and we should stop doing that, but saying that "the planet is ****ed" seems a bit alarmist to me, not to mention, why bother trying to solve the environmental problems we do have if that is the case?

The climate is changing for sure, but it's always changed, got warmer, got cooler, ice expands, ice retracts, warm ages, ice ages, all of that has happened in cycles since long before we set foot on the planet. It really bugs me that people seem to be saying that a) the climate is changing = we are destroying the planet, and b) the climate is changing = we need to stop the climate from changing.

If you need to cool down, or warm up, your body will adjust it's temperature. Should you try to prevent that? Maybe the earth needs to warm up or cool down. It would certainly be bad if we were causing the planets temperatures to change, but we can't be sure we are doing that. But it would be just as bad, surely, to try to intervene in the the planets natural climate cycles?

I’m with Sir David Attenborough rather than you on the subject of climate change

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Get a clue. It’s that exact denial that has led us to the brink.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You are correct, the planet most definitely isn't f*****.
Earth is fine and dandy and will continue being earth long long after we are gone.
The problem is that will be considerably sooner than expected.

Again you are correct the Earth does go through great periods of climate change.
The problem is that we are are making the temperature go from outside in December to Nana's front room without giving us time to take off our coat.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here