Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] A salutory lesson in the need to keep on top of energy supplier's bills

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Worth everyone double checking that your energy supplier hasn't ripped you off....like which what they have me.....

On the 11th Sept last I arranged by phone with my electricity/gas supplier (EDF Energy) to switch over, on 30th Sept-2018, to a 12 month contract called 'Easy Online Sept 19'.

EDF quoted (by email) the following charges with their confirmation of change email.

Standing charge Unit rate
Gas 18.9 p per day 3.204p per kWhr

Elect. 18.9 p per day 14.61p per kWhr

Direct debit of £117 pcm on 1st October 2018

I had a smart meter installed last Wednesday and was, yesterday morning playing about with the control display unit. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the tariff details and found:

Gas 25.86 p per day 3.69p per kWhr

Elect. 23.29 p per day 16.27p per kWhr

and I checked our Direct debit which is £175 pcm

I spoke yesterday morning to EDF and they confirmed I am on their 'cheapest current tariff' Flexible something.....by cheapest I think they mean 'most lucrative' Emoji.

On pointing out the situation, I emailed EDF their confirmation email from the 11th Sept and they have now come back and 'sincerely apologise' for their 'gross error'. They blamed the EDF accounts section for the error but have agreed to revisit the whole account and change all previous bills back to the correct rate , backdated from the end of Sept 2018 to be on the 'correct' 'Easy Online Sept 19' tariff. They are also going to give us £25 credit on the account. I will look at how much credit we have with them after this adjustment and will change the direct debit down to a more realistic figure.

So when I received my updated bill this morning I find that I am £570 in credit. My money held by them! I don;t think so. This will be repatriated into my account and will pay for next season's season ticket!

So, just because you have it in writing , doesn't mean they are actually implementing the agreed plan.

About to look at the comparison Sites and see if there is anyone else I can transfer to.

Worth everyone double checking, especially if you are with EDF. (which means Eet Doesn't mean F -all) in French!

cheers

TNBA

TTF

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Worth everyone double checking that your energy supplier hasn't ripped you off....like which what they have me.....

On the 11th Sept last I arranged by phone with my electricity/gas supplier (EDF Energy) to switch over, on 30th Sept-2018, to a 12 month contract called 'Easy Online Sept 19'.

EDF quoted (by email) the following charges with their confirmation of change email.

Gas 18.9 p per day 3.204p per kWhr

Elect. 18.9 p per day 14.61p per kWhr

Direct debit of £117 pcm on 1st October 2018

I had a smart meter installed last Wednesday and was, yesterday morning playing about with the control display unit. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the tariff details and found:

Gas 25.86 p per day 3.69p per kWhr

Elect. 23.29 p per day 16.27p per kWhr

and I checked our Direct debit which is £175 pcm

I spoke yesterday morning to EDF and they confirmed I am on their 'cheapest current tariff' Flexible something.....by cheapest I think they mean 'most lucrative' Emoji.

On pointing out the situation, I emailed EDF their confirmation email from the 11th Sept and they have now come back and 'sincerely apologise' for their 'gross error'. They blamed the EDF accounts section for the error but have agreed to revisit the whole account and change all previous bills back to the correct rate , backdated from the end of Sept 2018 to be on the 'correct' 'Easy Online Sept 19' tariff. They are also going to give us £25 credit on the account. I will look at how much credit we have with them after this adjustment and will change the direct debit down to a more realistic figure.

So when I received my updated bill this morning I find that I am £570 in credit. My money held by them! I don;t think so. This will be repatriated into my account and will pay for next season's season ticket!

So, just because you have it in writing , doesn't mean they are actually implementing the agreed plan.

About to look at the comparison Sites and see if there is anyone else I can transfer to.

Worth everyone double checking, especially if you are with EDF. (which means Eet Doesn't mean F -all) in French!

cheers

TNBA

TTF

Whilst I fully sympathise with the above and am glad you have now got this resolved I am staggered why anyone slightly tech savvy would be with one of the big six.

It’s the only utility where you have total freedom to switch without them “not supplying your area” or needing to have access or approval from landlords or co-freeholders etc to switch.

For example I’m with Octopus who are not only ridiculously cheaper than most they also pay credit interest on credit balances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
An electricity company once refunded me a whole years worth of gas and electric for no discernible reason that I could work out. I quickly changed supplier and never heard anything else about it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Almost identical thing happened with me and Co-op Energy. Agreed one thing, then bunged me on a higher tariff. Refunded once pointed out though, so all was well in the long run.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's somthing I do daily just to check my accounts transactions it means pretty much to the penny how much I have available

Agreed. Although every time I dare buy a round or put money in a charity pot I'm met with "Oh, you'll have to adjust the spreadsheet" or something to of that ilk. :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you want a referral for Bulb let me know. In most areas they are one of the cheapest and we would both get a £50 statement credit... :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I keep getting hassled to let them fit a Smart Meter. Is there a benefit in doing so?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I keep getting hassled to let them fit a Smart Meter. Is there a benefit in doing so?

No not yet. Wait and see what happens as there have been a lot of problems, also there is excess stock of the first generation smart meters which are a bit shit that companies are trying to use.

SMETS 2 are the latest generation

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A couple of years ago I checked my account with npower and found I was £1500 in credit, bloody shiesters. Cleared the account and cancelled them, now with octopus.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
No not yet. Wait and see what happens as there have been a lot of problems, also there is excess stock of the first generation smart meters which are a bit shit that companies are trying to use.

SMETS 2 are the latest generation

If you are on a flexible tariff then it is worth getting one installed that reports back every 15 minutes. Otherwise they default and charge you for all your energy usage at the higher tariff rate in any one particular period.

TNBA

TTF

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Whilst I fully sympathise with the above and am glad you have now got this resolved I am staggered why anyone slightly tech savvy would be with one of the big six.

It’s the only utility where you have total freedom to switch without them “not supplying your area” or needing to have access or approval from landlords or co-freeholders etc to switch.

For example I’m with Octopus who are not only ridiculously cheaper than most they also pay credit interest on credit balances.

I check every month with at least two of the comparison sites (used Money Expert and Flippin recently too) but where I am in Glasgow, EDF are still the cheapest. The thing is that when you go on the comparison sites you tell them the deal you are currently on and they have all the tariff details in their system. I looked at Bulb and Octopus but they are more expensive for my postcode.

Good feedback though thanks to all.

TNBA

TTF

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's somthing I do daily just to check my accounts transactions it means pretty much to the penny how much I have available

Me too. I know exactly how much money we have, and every month every direct debit is double checked.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
worth stashing some money in there with that interest rate

Sadly, it's a DD which is set by them and I don't have much say. The reason I got into credit was I had solar panels fitted last Jan so my consumption went down, but I left the DD at the higher amount. Hardly an investment opportunity - I think I got up to about £150 in credit so 3% was small-chips ....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I was with one of the smaller energy companies for the last two years, but their tarriffs kept creeping up significantly, plus they were bought out. That gave me the impetus to compare again with switchwithwhich, where an Eon (variable monthly DD) tariff came out as low as anyone else’s prices for us. So our switch was completed today.

I generally check every year or two, I’m not bothered by the tiny amount of hassle in moving, so I’ll review it again next year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here