Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Plane in a spot of bother......

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
No it wasn't. Very common during windy days. When working as an aircraft engineer at LGW used sit in a van at lunchtimes on the apron in front of Hangar 6 approx. 150 yards from the runway. Great fun watching them land in windy conditions especially as they passed the end of the hangars when the cross wind caught them. The old flying sheds were a picuture being chucked all over the place.

Like I said, I'm hearing more aborted landings these days even when skies are clear and not windy!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Like I said, I'm hearing more aborted landings these days even when skies are clear and not windy!

A lot happen due to separation issues especially at LGW as it's so busy.

Also windshear can happen on a sunny clear day and apparent windless day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would it not have had to go to somewhere that was currently less windy? Else it makes no sense diverting that far at all :shrug:

Good point, although it isn't just about the wind speed - there's also the wind direction to consider, in relation to the alignment of the respective runways. I went to collect my lad from Southampton airport once, and after two aborted attempts, his flight was diverted just down the road to Bournemouth, which the pilot explained to them would be fine as what were cross-winds at Southampton would be straight down the runway at B'muff.

We’ve currently experiencing gale force 9 winds gusting 10 in Christchurch where Bournemouth Airport is located. It would have been just as dangerous to attempt to land, if not more so, than Gatwick.

Fair enough - it is bloody horrendous here in Southampton, too.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Funnily enough I was up the M23 earlier and could see a plan coming in to land that was all over the place. It was an Easyjet though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've heard a few planes aborting landings this morning, but probably no more than usual. Certainly becoming a current occurrence now (not just because of wind), years ago it was quite rare.

Was it? I used to work for the CAA about 30 years ago and they seemed to occur more frequently than you’d expect. Some were just run arounds back to the same airport due to the runway not being clear though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes you would, Emirates have two non stop flights a day from Dubai to Manchester.

Probs just to service Prem footballer’s and wags holidays. I imagine there’s a similar flight to Las Vegas to service the local Championship players.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I guess that 'low on fuel' was in relative terms. Can't have been THAT low, if they diverted it to Manchester, when there's presumably a suitable runway a lot nearer (Bournemouth has a long strip, and masses of empty landing slots).

I would simply love to see an A380 land at Bournemouth. Runway not long enough or strong enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here