Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Missed them both times unfortunately. Ridiculous queues on pier.

Yeah to ensure I got in for both Squid and Murder Capital I arrived over an hour early for each. The downside of that approach to TGE is that you do then have to sit through an entire set of something you haven’t chosen to see. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised; usually I’m not though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yeah to ensure I got in for both Squid and Murder Capital I arrived over an hour early for each. The downside of that approach to TGE is that you do then have to sit through an entire set of something you haven’t chosen to see. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised; usually I’m not though.

I didn’t really like Murder Capital. Saw them at Paganini Ballroom and thought there was too much pretence and drama to their act. They would do better just playing the songs. Overall I saw some great stuff though. Pip Blom, Italia 90 and Stonefield in particular.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I didn’t really like Murder Capital. Saw them at Paganini Ballroom and thought there was too much pretence and drama to their act. They would do better just playing the songs. Overall I saw some great stuff though. Pip Blom, Italia 90 and Stonefield in particular.

Italia 90 were superb at our show at The Sidewinder on the Saturday. Looks like they'd picked up a decent crowd over the weekend as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm darting in between Hen Ogledd and W H Lung tomorrow. If anyone knows the stage times, I'd be really grateful if you could post them on here.

In other news, Lubomyr Melnyk is playing at St Luke's Church in October. Another coup for Dictionary Pudding.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Italia 90 were superb at our show at The Sidewinder on the Saturday. Looks like they'd picked up a decent crowd over the weekend as well.

We were at The Sidewinder for a bit Saturday but got timings all wrong and ended up leavin* around 5. Hope it went well.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
UK SUBS last Sunday at the Hope and Ruin was just fantastic, played the first two albums, Chas chatted more than I have ever known.

I went home and said I could have lived in that gig for ever.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Soundcrash Funk and Soul Weekender this weekend. Our schedule for today is:
Rum Committee
Normanton Street
Fatima
Kamaal Williams
The Pharcyde
I just wish the sun would come out...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm darting in between Hen Ogledd and W H Lung tomorrow. If anyone knows the stage times, I'd be really grateful if you could post them on here.

In other news, Lubomyr Melnyk is playing at St Luke's Church in October. Another coup for Dictionary Pudding.

I absolutely love the W H Lung album. Hope it’s translates well live; if it does it will be a great gig.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I absolutely love the W H Lung album. Hope it’s translates well live; if it does it will be a great gig.

It does translate well live, enhanced by being played in a (very packed) Green Door Store; the lead singer has good stage presence, and witnessing them made me realise just how much I love the way the bass player contributes to the sound. Hen Ogledd were suitably off-the-wall, and were so much better live than on album (which I find rather hit-and-miss). It was a fine evening, capped off with a few idiosyncratic beers in The Evening Star.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Funk and Soul Weekender on the beach has been wonderful so far, a brilliant atmosphere, great weather and some superb performances.

Stand outs: last night Normanton Street had a lovely vibe, Fatima was engaging and soulful, Kamaal Williams was mesmeric and enthralling and The Pharcyde were as good as they have always been - energetic, funny and just great fun.

Today: Joel Culpepper - what a voice, what a guitarist, what great tunes. Dat Brass, about ten young lads combining hip hop with brass, everyone should catch them if they get the opportunity. Gentleman's Dub Club: Ska, reggae, rap, absolutely banging.

Kamasi Washington is headlining tomorrow.

This has been great.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Last day of the weekender...:down:

Today we saw Cykada...not really my thing, a bit of a mess. Yakul, a young Brighton band, were much better, great tunes and musicianship and a Stevie Wonder-like voice.

Carnival Collective are a bit of a Brighton institution now, and were as energetic and enjoyable as always...but then came the legendary Lee Fields and the Expressions. This guy has been performing for 50 years, but by God, he's still got it. Passionate, old school soul. Wonderful.

Jordan Rakei followed - I like his stuff, but he is relatively lo-fi, so a disappointment after the blitzkrieg of emotion that had preceded him.

But not to worry, Kamasi Washington concluded the weekend with a quite stunning set. Unbelievably good. I had to take some time afterward to try and absorb what I had just witnessed.

God, I hope this festival returns to Brighton next year.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, after a weekend of wall to wall wonderful live music I was gonna have an early night, having failed to get tickets for Primal Scream.

Then a mate called at 7pm with a spare ticket available.

Loud and powerful as usual, it was amazing to see them in such a small venue, even if The Haunt is a bit of a dive. Absolutely brilliant. I am very sweaty, and need to drink lots of water.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My, what a double bill at C2 last night. Snapped Ankles kicked off proceedings, but were eclipsed by the triumph that are Beak>. A sonic, dynamic exploration like no other with a quite amazing bass sound, with plenty of between songs banter.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here