Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Been a weekend of gig going. Saw Courtney Barnett last night and Monochrome Set later tonight.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
3 gigs in a week for me. First time in years!

Go Go Penguin, last Sunday; Tricot on Monday, and Courtney Barnett, last night. All were very enjoyable.

Mogwai Sunday week and Young Fathers at Brixton Academy next month. And that’ll be another gig-going year gone...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
3 gigs in a week for me. First time in years!

Go Go Penguin, last Sunday; Tricot on Monday, and Courtney Barnett, last night. All were very enjoyable.

Mogwai Sunday week and Young Fathers at Brixton Academy next month. And that’ll be another gig-going year gone...

Looking forward to Mogwai, although I got a burst eardrum last time I saw them.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Enjoyed The Monochrome Set on Saturday. Good to see the legend that is Vic Godard on keyboard with the support band who got him singing what I’m guessing was a Subway Sect song.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We played with the monochrome set in Lewis earlier this year, the laziest band in the world ever, and dull with it.

We supported Soft Machine at the Con club on Sunday, jazz-noddle-tasted although a bit of far in the wrong direction for me, they are very good musicians.

unknown Mortal orchestra at the 2nd best Concorde . . . Then nothing planned until we play at the Hope and Ruin on 7th December

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 145

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Saw Larkin Poe at the Islington Assembly Halls on Wednesday, a great gig of rock, blues and country.
They have also just announced a Spring Tour for next year and will at Concorde 2 in April, I would recommend getting a ticket, you won't be disappointed

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
We played with the monochrome set in Lewis earlier this year, the laziest band in the world ever, and dull with it.

We supported Soft Machine at the Con club on Sunday, jazz-noddle-tasted although a bit of far in the wrong direction for me, they are very good musicians.

unknown Mortal orchestra at the 2nd best Concorde . . . Then nothing planned until we play at the Hope and Ruin on 7th December

Saw you guys play at The Hope & Ruin earlier this year when my mates band (Galangas) supported you.

Enjoyed your stuff more (but don’t tell them I said that [emoji3])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodgull

Feb 9, 2017

Saw you at the first Con Club gig (it's "Lewes" by the way). Took several mates there to see Monochrome Set and they were awful (regular MS fans agreed) but you lot were excellent, and am currently wearing your t-shirt for Band T-shirt Day. Considered going to Soft Machine to see you, but it was a jazz step too far.

So which band member are you? Unusual to have a keyboard player as main vocalist.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just back in from watching Circa Waves at Boileroom, Guildford and Christ, do I feel old? Not a soul even turned a hair when Jesus Jones came on the PA 20 minutes before the main act but they all went apeshit for a bit of Arctic Monkeys.

The band were proficient and the crowd loved them but I can't say I was wowed. Normally I feel seeing a band live adds another 20-30% of "oomph" to their recorded work but tonight provided no real gain.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I saw Ruston Kelly supporting Restless hearts on Thursday at Patterns. Ruston is exceptionally talented. His album 'Dying star' is one of the best releases that I've heard for years. Restless hearts really impressed me. I couldn't find a weakness, apart from the fact that their songs aren't exactly life changing. From a songwriting perspective, I don't think anyone will ever rival Jackson Browne at his best.
I have a ticket for Mogwai tomorrow night. Florence and the machine at the centre tomorrow evening will no doubt be brilliant, but I've already seen them in concert from a matter feet away and I don't see any point in seeing them again.

The Rattler

NSC Patreon
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Last night at 02 Academy Islington

Support: Desperate Journalist - as usual, absolutely awesome.

Headline: Marion - absolute shambles :nono: - if ever there was an advert for avoiding heroin, then Jamie Harding is it.

Anybody else there?

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Back from Mogwai too - but being a Sunday and the last Coastway service West was at 10.47pm and so had to leave at 10.25pm for the walk back to the station

They didn't come on till 9.30 either and surprised (as with other Sunday night concerts) that they didn't come on earlier !

Guess that makes me half deaf?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was also suprised at the late stage times for Mogwai, I guess a result of putting on 3 bands the same evening. A really enjoyable night though even with it being a Sunday. I thought The Twilight Sad were loud enough but nothing compared to the main event- the massive pile of earplugs was soon reduced to nothing. Great lighting to complement each track.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here