Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Always took a flask of hot chocolate to the cold night games for me and the boy we even managed not to spill it over ourselves, the people sat around me and even managed not to throw my hot beverage onto the pitch at a player. Daft change, only works if every semi professional and professional club in England makes the change.

Any one ever been to a Real Madrid game these fans are taking in full family picnics lol, we can’t even take a cup of coffee now, utter nonsense.

What about items wrapped in foil are these checked? The contents of a lunchbox.....Someone’s jam sandwich could easily be a plastic explosive, inside of a crisp packet, if your that intent on causing real harm plenty of ways to get an item into the ground to cause real issues.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
So Barber's official line is health and safety, quelle bloody surprise.

I'd suggest that 95% of the customers would have a mobile phone, which could be thrown, or used to batter some one in the face.

Or maybe, a set of keys, which could batter someone over the head, or individually poke someone's eye out.

How about a plastic card, such as season ticket, shaved to a nice edge, to slice somebody.

How about the hot tea sold in the ground, that could be thrown in someones face.

No, let's ban those ******* flasks that the older customers use instead, they're nothing but trouble, spending no extra money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So Barber's official line is health and safety, quelle bloody surprise.

I'd suggest that 95% of the customers would have a mobile phone, which could be thrown, or used to batter some one in the face.

A mobile phone can also be used to remotely trigger an explosive device elsewhere in the ground. It can also be used to give the signal to set off co-ordinated knife - or other - attacks. It might even be Semtex, skilfully shaped and painted to look like a mobile phone. They should all be dropped in a bucket outside the entrances, no argument.

That'll stop miserable buggers texting PB to complain about not being allowed to take flasks in............

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Against.
Modern.
Football.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I went into the Amex with 3 sets of darts once, literally 9 missiles in my bag and I sat in the East Lower at the time. They didn't even notice them and it didn't occur to my until I was getting a drink out of my bag and saw them sat there.
Hope the drink wasn't in a flask. You'll be on the LIST.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, that is the same reaction several council social services departments thought was appropriate. Worked well, didn't it (except for the vulnerable young girls who were f***ed against their will by many men, of course). Still, better than risk being called racist, eh?

What's that got to do with bringing a flask of coffee to the football?

There are other threads for this type of discussion. In fact, there are too many. Rather than add more paranoid speculation to a thread that the club might actually take seriously, given the strength of feeling, why not stick to those threads. And the facts.

If you're going to bring race, Islam and rape gangs in to every thread on NSC then you might as well be standing with chopsticks up your nose, though the hanky would be better replaced with some tin foil.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Damn it all. I usually take a "hot toddie" into the game. It's only a bottle of jack cut with crystal meth. I need it for medical reasons though as I'm a rampant alcoholic and crack head. If I don't have it i feel dreadful.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Security reasons?
What a load of submissive bullshit bollocks.
If a jihadi wants to make a bomb out of a thermos he will do so, he will get on a train from jihadi central, arrive at Falmer, walk up to the turnstile and when confronted will set it off anyway……sod all you can do about that.
Stopping people taking hot Bovril, tea and soup into the ground will not stop this happening. If you want the bomb to not go off inside the stadium check peoples bags(you have millions of £`s flooding the game, use some for security) and if they have a thermos, open it. If it smells of mulligatawny and tea fine, if it smells of fertilizer and bleach and rattles because its full of nails and ball bearings, you know you have a problem, either way the bomb that was brought to the stadium is still probably going off anyway because you havnt banned mobile phones……just going off at the turnstile entrance and not inside.
Stop pandering to these terrorists with faux security and giving them ridiculous reasons to believe they are actually terrorising.
And stop treating football supporters like idiots because someone in the security department has got an over imaginative hard on.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Always took a flask of hot chocolate to the cold night games for me and the boy we even managed not to spill it over ourselves, the people sat around me and even managed not to throw my hot beverage onto the pitch at a player. Daft change, only works if every semi professional and professional club in England makes the change.

Any one ever been to a Real Madrid game these fans are taking in full family picnics lol, we can’t even take a cup of coffee now, utter nonsense.

What about items wrapped in foil are these checked? The contents of a lunchbox.....Someone’s jam sandwich could easily be a plastic explosive, inside of a crisp packet, if your that intent on causing real harm plenty of ways to get an item into the ground to cause real issues.

Ive asked Amanda Jacks, caseworker for the FSF, how many other clubs ban flasks. So far, she's only come up with Old Trafford.
Just for comparison, security in courts is pretty secure, so any drinks are tested by requests to making the person take a sip. tt wouldn't stop alcohol, of course, but it would stop chemicals.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's that got to do with bringing a flask of coffee to the football?

There are other threads for this type of discussion. In fact, there are too many. Rather than add more paranoid speculation to a thread that the club might actually take seriously, given the strength of feeling, why not stick to those threads. And the facts.

If you're going to bring race, Islam and rape gangs in to every thread on NSC then you might as well be standing with chopsticks up your nose, though the hanky would be better replaced with some tin foil.
I didn't introduce the topic to the thread - I was merely responding to a post that did, and a particularly silly response someone made to it. Now go and do your stereotyping on one of those other threads you have cited.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Security reasons?
What a load of submissive bullshit bollocks.
If a jihadi wants to make a bomb out of a thermos he will do so, he will get on a train from jihadi central, arrive at Falmer, walk up to the turnstile and when confronted will set it off anyway……sod all you can do about that.
Stopping people taking hot Bovril, tea and soup into the ground will not stop this happening. If you want the bomb to not go off inside the stadium check peoples bags(you have millions of £`s flooding the game, use some for security) and if they have a thermos, open it. If it smells of mulligatawny and tea fine, if it smells of fertilizer and bleach and rattles because its full of nails and ball bearings, you know you have a problem, either way the bomb that was brought to the stadium is still probably going off anyway because you havnt banned mobile phones……just going off at the turnstile entrance and not inside.
Stop pandering to these terrorists with faux security and giving them ridiculous reasons to believe they are actually terrorising.
And stop treating football supporters like idiots because someone in the security department has got an over imaginative hard on.

Very well put. Unfortunately that argument will be ignored or if it weren't the response would start something like 'what you don't understand ..........'

I might write to Barber and insist that for my safety we need a roof over the stadium to prevent the possibility of flasks being brought in by drones

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sorry, not got time to read the whole thread, in summary, have we banned flasks of hot drinks from the whole ground?

If so, whatever the reasons given, we all know that it's shamelessly about £££.

Last week, we heard that half of EPL teams would have made profits without a penny from ticket sales, and yet we can help but find more and more ways to squeeze extra £££ out of the fans.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I have no objection to people trying to keep me safe. That is a good thing and its good that sensible security checks take place to ensure as far as possible everyone's safety. The issue I have is that the club DOESN'T carry sensible security checks out. On numerous occasions when I have been "patted down" the steward hasn't even touched half of me, merely passing hands over my trouser legs or arms. The fact that no children are ever searched is also frankly ludicrous, airports do not exempt children from security searches. I realise that attempting to do airport style checks on 30 000 people in the time allowed isn't going to happen, and so there will always be some risk. However unless there is a new breed of "flask bomber" that has been kept from us, this seems a complete over reaction, and will solve nothing, but just make the valued " matchday experience" that little less pleasant for an awful lot of people. The kiosks barely cope now, so anything that adds to the half time scrum will just make that worse. This will be seen by many as a money grab, although I cant see the club making any worthwhile profit, so I believe this is a misguided reaction, rather than a calculated money grab to force us to buty a cuppa at half time!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My follow up response from them which is contrary to their previous gumph - no thermos flasks of any kind is now the rule. Make it up as you go along ......

The safety of spectators is of our paramount importance. This isn’t a new ruling and many clubs have adopted this in previous seasons.

I am sorry you remain unhappy however whilst your feedback is noted I confirm there will be no deviation from this club policy. You would be ill advised to bring alternative thermos flasks as these are likely to be confiscated.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
"a safety and security-related decision...in line with many other stadiums" were the reasons given in PB"s email.

It follows on from the "no liquids" policy you get at some events / festivals. The only motivation for this change is to force you to buy inside the event at inflated prices. Of course, Barber has ignored the long queues and appalling service at the kiosks ever since the Amex opened so I have not a clue what he is expecting to achieve with this ridiculous policy. It isn't going to generate much, if any, additional income for the club but it will generate a lot of ill will from the fans.

Well done Barber.

I have been following the Albion for getting on for 50 years and I have NEVER come across a "flask related security issue". Bet Barber hasn't either. Nothing to do with security and all to do with money.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here