Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The 100 best films of the 21st century - The Guardian

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Crap list in my book, but, good films are in the eye of the beholder, not the remit of a list compiler. I think here are so many better films overlooked in this " top hundred" but notable by their absence are Winter's Bone, Pride, Nocturnal Creatures, and Animal Kingdom ( NOT the Disney film ) … even Birdman does not make the list.. ridiculous !

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Crap list in my book, but, good films are in the eye of the beholder, not the remit of a list compiler. I think here are so many better films overlooked in this " top hundred" but notable by their absence are Winter's Bone, Pride, Nocturnal Creatures, and Animal Kingdom ( NOT the Disney film ) … even Birdman does not make the list.. ridiculous !

100% Animal Kingdom, what a film that was and what an acting ensemble. A few Hollywood careers were launched off the back of that film, Ben Mendelsohn and Joel Edgerton the pick of the bunch.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Difficult not to judge the validity of the entire list on the one dud note. Yup, that'll be Gravity then.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
should have been in there ......

Zodiac, Ex Machina, Headhunters, Dead Man's Shoes, A History of Violence, Three Billboards, Napolean Dynamite, Skyfall, Dread, Blade Runner 2049, Let The Right One In, Children of Men, City Of God, Pan's Labyrinth, House of Flying Daggers, Sunshine, Gone Girl, Son of Rambow, Baby Driver, Grizzly Man, In Bruges and Hard To Be A God.

that was off the top of my head earlier today

I'd add

The Big Short and one of the Planet of The Apes films (not the Tim Burton one)

Some absolute bangers on there.

My mind is officially blown on realising that the actor Toby Kebbell, who played Anthony (Considine’s ‘mentally challenged’ younger brother) in Dead Man’s Shoes, played Joy Division’s manager Rob Gretton in Control.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Winters bone is fantastic. And to think that Leave No Trace (also by Debra Granik) was also shitehoused by US.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On Amazon Prime we just watched Once Upon a Time in America.

I couldn’t recall if I’d watched it before, but instantly recognised it (probably late night BBC2 viewing a long time ago).

What an astonishingly movie on every level, touching, not yet another mafia blood-fest, aided by a backdrop of a beautiful Ennio Morricone film score. De Niro at his very best.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here