Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done all the Lunar-Tics, a great achievement. I was at the same wedding as [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on Saturday and on Sunday I felt like death just slightly warmed up. I managed a slow plod around Hove Park before taking my Mum up to Devils Dyke and a little walk along some of the South Downs way. After the sunday roast I did feel half human again, plus I kept looking out the pub window thinking I would love to do an ultra along the South Downs Way, what is wrong with me!

*cough*

https://www.sussextrailevents.com/d/

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The pace king screwed up today as witnessed by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] down on the windy prom. Had 5 miles at 8:45 mile pace to do but yesterday’s return to intervals and a return to running took it’s toll. Knackered so listened to body, dropped the pace and still sweated my balls off at 9:30 pace.

Plan has 3m Fartlek in tomorrow’s 5m. Now when I was running in 1971 that was today’s interval session if my memory is right.
Runnersworld say it’s a free form relaxed speed play, as in the Swedish word. Speed mixed in with steady running.

I can just see the difference and tomorrow, if still knackered, may leave out the fart and stick with the lek anyway. For the future does anyone incorporate this usefully into their training and able to give more info?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The pace king screwed up today as witnessed by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] down on the windy prom. Had 5 miles at 8:45 mile pace to do but yesterday’s return to intervals and a return to running took it’s toll. Knackered so listened to body, dropped the pace and still sweated my balls off at 9:30 pace.

Plan has 3m Fartlek in tomorrow’s 5m. Now when I was running in 1971 that was today’s interval session if my memory is right.
Runnersworld say it’s a free form relaxed speed play, as in the Swedish word. Speed mixed in with steady running.

I can just see the difference and tomorrow, if still knackered, may leave out the fart and stick with the lek anyway. For the future does anyone incorporate this usefully into their training and able to give more info?

To be fair, the wind was severe today. Yesterday I was popping along at 20mph on my bike, today I was at 13, it was tough going.

What sort of fartlek were you looking to do? I often run at varying paces when I'm training, 2 miles at x followed by a mile at x, half mile at x, etc. It is good to vary up the pace and I find it more engaging than going out and running 15 miles at 7:40 per mile pace, for example. It depends what you want to do though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My Sensei calls it ‘structured fartlek’, or ‘pickups’. Have at least one run a week like it. If more of an easy/recovery session it’ll be something like 40 mins with 10 x 30 second efforts in the middle 20 minutes. If on an ‘effort day’ it could be more like 5 x 3 mins at 5k pace with min 2 mins easy between efforts (again after a decent warm up, and adding a cool down).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
To be fair, the wind was severe today. Yesterday I was popping along at 20mph on my bike, today I was at 13, it was tough going.

What sort of fartlek were you looking to do? I often run at varying paces when I'm training, 2 miles at x followed by a mile at x, half mile at x, etc. It is good to vary up the pace and I find it more engaging than going out and running 15 miles at 7:40 per mile pace, for example. It depends what you want to do though.

Cheers I guess that’s the spirit of the session. I’ll emphasis fun with speed rather then speed till I drop.

Today I ran slowly into the wind and on turning couldn’t run much quicker. I guess my innate precision pacing was preparing for the coming Monday’s Arena 3K race and 6 hours walking in London this afternoon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My Sensei calls it ‘structured fartlek’, or ‘pickups’. Have at least one run a week like it. If more of an easy/recovery session it’ll be something like 40 mins with 10 x 30 second efforts in the middle 20 minutes. If on an ‘effort day’ it could be more like 5 x 3 mins at 5k pace with min 2 mins easy between efforts (again after a decent warm up, and adding a cool down).

Excellent. Pickups have always been fun to me. Never enough to be knackered. I run intervals faster than 5k pace and get nicely ******. Time for relaxing speed.

The plan says 5m with 3m fartlek. I’ll take a mile warm up, 3 miles attempted playing and 1 mile cool down.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What's the word [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - how did you get on?

[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] got straight back on the horse immediately after the marathon, sensational recovery after the Lunar-Tic. I've felt a muscle running over the top of my ankles this week, but it felt ok all the time I was out. I was quite comfortable in 6 miles in 8:30 per mile average pace. I'm going to pop out tomorrow lunchtime for another 6 miles or so and then see what's cooking at a parkrun on saturday - possibly Littlehampton if I wake up in time to get there. Potentially Bevendean as another option.

In other news - I've seen the Trailblazer not quite 10k results - [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] rampaging home in 6th in 38:48, I was 16th in 42:15 which I'm very pleased with and it's a bench mark for 2020. :thumbsup: The winning time was 36:40, absolutely outrageous given the course. Just 1 second between first and second, that's a proper race!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] all is calm and relaxed. Had a lovely swim instead and switched today’s run to tomorrow. Will do Sunday’s run on Saturday as Hove Prom cancelled.

Will enjoy tomorrow with unstructured freedom and be ready to give my structured all at Withdean’s 3K on Monday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] all is calm and relaxed. Had a lovely swim instead and switched today’s run to tomorrow. Will do Sunday’s run on Saturday as Hove Prom cancelled.

Will enjoy tomorrow with unstructured freedom and be ready to give my structured all at Withdean’s 3K on Monday.

Sounds like a wise plan to me - what do you expect to the 3k in?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tricky as never run it before. In miles it is 1.864114. I think 12” has to be the target, which is a hard, currently for me, 4” a km pace or 6:26 a mile.

On the flat of a track, I think you'll find that within you - you're a top quality pacemaster. [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]s Harmonica told me! Thinking of which, there's a nice picture of you two, plus PH's brother after the Prom parkrun last week. It looked like a true meeting of minds and the photographer couldn't resist!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's the word [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - how did you get on?

[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] got straight back on the horse immediately after the marathon, sensational recovery after the Lunar-Tic. I've felt a muscle running over the top of my ankles this week, but it felt ok all the time I was out. I was quite comfortable in 6 miles in 8:30 per mile average pace. I'm going to pop out tomorrow lunchtime for another 6 miles or so and then see what's cooking at a parkrun on saturday - possibly Littlehampton if I wake up in time to get there. Potentially Bevendean as another option.

In other news - I've seen the Trailblazer not quite 10k results - [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] rampaging home in 6th in 38:48, I was 16th in 42:15 which I'm very pleased with and it's a bench mark for 2020. :thumbsup: The winning time was 36:40, absolutely outrageous given the course. Just 1 second between first and second, that's a proper race!

Not quite. Did 90 mins brisk walk on Sunday to loosen up, then a v short easy run Monday, 6m steady Tuesday, 5m easy to Wednesday and a tough hill repeat session today on the Tank Tracks (13 THW start - if you know, you know [emoji33][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23])......always try to be running within 48 hours of a marathon, even if only 30 mins. Definitely better than letting the old joints stiffen up. Will chuck in a 12-14 miler this weekend at some point.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
11.59 on the nose.

Paul Gasson won the 1500m over 60 Sussex Vets last week in 5:17 and beat me in the mile by 15 seconds last month. Hopefully he’ll be in my heat and I can place myself a suitable distance behind and follow the maestro home.

NO Parkruns Hove Prom, PP and Lancing tomorrow.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Paul Gasson won the 1500m over 60 Sussex Vets last week in 5:17 and beat me in the mile by 15 seconds last month. Hopefully he’ll be in my heat and I can place myself a suitable distance behind and follow the maestro home.

NO Parkruns Hove Prom, PP and Lancing tomorrow.

I can run Park Run tomorrow but I’d imagine Hove Park will be bursting at the seams. I might look at East Brighton or Peacehaven instead. What’s the plans of other NSC park runners?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure which parkrun to go for tomorrow - East Brighton park is very tempting, but being on the far side of Brighton might not be wise for me, I don't want to get caught having to go all around the outside of Brighton to get back to Hove. We'll see what time I wake up. :lolol:

I am tempted to head over to Worthing or Littlehampton, but it all depends on when I drag myself out of bed! I managed to get up and go for a swim this morning, I was wonderfully slow and ponderous and the casual lane was actually quite busy. It does slow your rhythm, but the reality is I'm really no good in the pool.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I’ll be at Hove Park - got something on mid-morning so need to be able to get home sharpish, otherwise would certainly have gone somewhere else this week.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Decided upon Peacehaven today. Almost went for East Brighton or Seaford but I enjoyed my last and only visit to the Haven last time so thought I’d give it another try.

I do like the course, has a bit of everything. Around 19:10 which will be 2 seconds slower than last years time where I was racing [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. 2nd place once again I got overtaken in the final 250 metres after leading from halfway.

The guy who beat me gave me a lift there and back and is a better runner so to get within 4 seconds is not too bad. That being said he drunk a bottle of bourbon Thursday night and into Friday morning so I’ll try and race him again after a second bottle next.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here