Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fallout from Hughton sacking: notice we've suddenly become hated and ridiculed by neutrals

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think it's mean that Sky Sports gave Potter some 'Yoda Ears' myself... Disrespectful. ???

attachment.php

Apart from that, the trolls commenting have probably only ever read news clippings and see 3 minutes of game highlights on MoTD before nodding off with a beer in their hand - so they're not really well placed to comment.

game_of_thrones_edmure_tully_season_6_1219497.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Why would I care if we're disliked ? :shrug:

"No one likes us!
No one likes us!
No one likes us!
We don't ..... quite understand it and are really quite hurt by it actually. After all we're supercool fans from a right-on, hipster city with the country's only Green MP and ... Ah, now I understand."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t like Man City, I hear they are gutted about this

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The only thing that pisses me off is the comments claiming CH was only “sacked because he’s black”, and that BHAFC are therefore racist.

There was one on The Guardian yesterday, underneath the article about Potter’s announcement. I asked them to remove it, but they didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't sacked because he was black, that is obviously a really ignorant thing to say. The colour of his skin never entered into it and I can't believe people are so blinkered.

He was sacked because he's Irish.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Most podcasts I've listened to with journalists aren't surprised by the change. But I guess they're more informed.

I genuinely couldn't care less about what other fans think.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's the one thing I'm not bothered about at all. Personally, I want everyone in the world to like me that I meet. However, it's going to be impossible - as it is for anyone. Forest Green as a football club are the most environmentally friendly side - that means nothing to football fans but respect to them for trying hard to be everyone's second club.

I remember when Crawley bought the Conference and got to play at Old Trafford against Manchester United in the FA Cup 5th round. They were just about the most hated club in England at that time through sheer jealousy. They spent the money well and Steve Evans moulded a team of winners together. Now they're a poor League Two side, nobody gives a rat's piss about them.

"No one likes us, we don't care!" :albion:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
He wasn't sacked because he was black, that is obviously a really ignorant thing to say. The colour of his skin never entered into it and I can't believe people are so blinkered.

He was sacked because he's Irish.

I saw this sign on the recruitment office door with a very dejected looking Labrador walking away. It's true, I tell you...

ibd.jpeg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I mentioned this on the other thread about about Potters 4 year deal

"I have just read the HYS under the BBC article. I know I shouldn't, it is depressing, Not because of what they are saying "hope they get relegated", "why replace Houghton" (yes spelt wrong) but that every time I read these posts on any articles I realise how depressingly thick and bitter a portion of the population is.

To me a clever person is someone who realises they don't know everything. A thick person is too thick to realise they don't know everything and spouts rubbish as fact."

So, I would not worry about it
It’s pretty depressing. It feels like you are swimming against the tide when you try and correct folk, in the end you just have to learn to ignore it. It’s all hot air.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
"wow how deluded are the xxx fans and board? lol xxx is a great manager who had no money to spend and they sacked him for this guy? (xxx), hope they go down", "you reap what you sow xxx fans" etc."

Pretty similar to what might be said on here when one of our rivals ditches a manager. Except most on NSC have more taste than to use 'lol'.

Lol...

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
A lot of people believe we'll drop like a lead balloon (as do a notable few on these boards). That CH was almost too good for the club and 'how dare we sack him'. We may struggle and we may get relegated, I don't believe we will but there is that chance.

However to the well informed it was apparent that relegation under the stewardship of CH was a distinct possibility. Coupled with the brand of football produced and how he seemed unable to get any quality out of a well funded squad. To many and most importantly to our Chairman a change was needed.

Let the neutrals have there say, I for one am glad for this positive appointment and hopeful of the rewards. Here's to Graham Potter and him stuffing their negativity down their throats. :bhasign:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can get that people aren't happy about the decision based on Hughton being a good guy. Hell I'm not 100% sure it's a great move.

But I do have an issue with the "delusions of grandeur" stuff I've seen. I don't think a team even of our size would count having more than 1 shot on target per average over 7-8 games as being a "delusion of grandeur", especially when we're playing against other teams of a similar level.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
This ‘hatred’ is by a very very vocal minority of keyboard warriors on the Internet. It’s easy to say how much you despise another team online (plenty on here have voiced their grievances towards certain clubs) but in person it’s a different story. Met a Saints fan and a few wolves fans last Saturday and none of them ‘hated’ us. They were just curious how I felt and I think they got a better appreciation of our situation, the wolves fan agreed our performance was poor.

I think when you’re in the EPL you’re in the limelight and for an unknown entity like Brighton, the first assumption is ‘relegation fodder’. The #teamslikebrighton schtick is because the mindset is that Brighton should be a given because we are favourites to be relegated both seasons. Honestly I don’t think that attitude would have changed if Hughton had stayed. Just ask anyone who criticised the sacking whether they’d have placed Brighton above the relegation zone next season if Hughton was still in charge, guarantee very few would have. Neutrals LOVE Hughton but theyd love him in the championship too. I think actually quite a lot of the media has actually defended our choice, saying we were in the right for sacking Chris, but the more bitter are unhappy that we seemed to do it in such a callous way.

Some of the comments I’ve seen are totally legitimate, a couple have kind of cottoned on to what TB is like, but they are a bit worried that he’s trying to be a ‘bit too clever’, others are just disappointed in the manner Chris was sacked. A few are respectful of the fact we are trying to keep off the manager merry-go-round with the usual suspects, but understandably cautious that we’re taking a gamble on Potter, who is a complete unknown. Of course, some just want us to go down cause we’re a runty little club that should know our place...as if that ever stopped Plucky.

TL;DR don’t form your opinions based on what you’ve seen on the internet.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Exactly!

We often had 30,000 at the Goldstone in the Mullery years and after.

Before [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION] gets a hard-on, it's worth pointing out that during the Mullery years, we had just EIGHT 30,000+ attendances, with NONE during our time in the top flight

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Before [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION] gets a hard-on, it's worth pointing out that during the Mullery years, we had just EIGHT 30,000+ attendances, with NONE during our time in the top flight

Yes, but where were they all in the wilderness years? Most would appear to have been fans of football, rather than supporters of the club.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes, but where were they all in the wilderness years? Most would appear to have been fans of football, rather than supporters of the club.

From memory didn't the Goldstone capacity get reduced to about 10000 due to safety issues?

Not sure 20,000 fans of any club would travel 70 miles each way for a home game.
Are we STILL of the opinion that the only real fans are those who supported the club in the late 1990s?

I am clearly a plastic fan as I was so upset at the state of the Goldstone in 1996/97 that I stopped going. (I always had to work Saturdays so could only make evening games )

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Typical. You can prove anything with facts.

But this is indicative of the whole media and twitter sh*tstorm that has suddenly descended on us - almost all of it based on ignorance and some of it driven by certain journalists' agendas. Most of those criticising the Albion's sacking of CH have never seen us play beyond a few lowlights on MotD. Most of those criticising the Potter appointment looked only at the Championship table and not at the 16 players Swansea sold last summer. And some writers have, as has been pointed out here, decided that there is a racial motive behind it, as if Chris had suddenly become black fours years into his tenure, or TB had only just noticed. Perhaps they'd enjoy being accused of anti-semitism because of their attacks on our club - which would be about as relevant. Ignorance, as ever, is the enemy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here