Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Working at the Amex/training ground

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Having been rather priced out of attending many matches and fancying something different to do between 'normal' work, I've been looking into the possibility of applying for match day or part time role at the Amex or training ground.

I'd be interested to hear any views, help or advice from anyone who works as stewards, matchday assistants etc.

And before you ask, no I don't fancy applying for manager, striker or left back roles - even though I like to think I could still do a job. :D

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I have a few friends who are stewards - seem to enjoy it and often simply get to watch the game whilst getting paid for it...

Also have a friend who works in the shop on a matchday - great but misses the first few minutes of every game (not a huge problem for you as you don't have season ticket).

Also have a friend who works at the training ground as a cleaner, he loves it, only been there a month but has met a few people he wouldn't have met outside and gets to spend the day at a place any brighton fan would love to be at i reckon.

I've also applied for a match-day role, yet to hear back but a bit of extra money, and working for the albion can't be too bad I am thinking

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah, I've done it, as a program seller.

You knock on the little door, within the big blue door, just to the left of the ticket office / club shop, and get let in. Through the corridor to the right, and pick up your box of programs. Carry them out to your pitch (Newtown Road, SW corner) and stand there flogging them.

Shift them as quick as you can and back inside, to queue to have your money counted in, and get paid, before rushing out to find an empty seat in the South Stand for the game. Normally miss first 5 / 10 minutes, but can't argue with a cool NINE pounds and a free ticket :thumbsup:

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham

You knock on the little door, within the big blue door, just to the left of the ticket office / club shop, and get let in. Through the corridor to the right, and pick up your box of programs. Carry them out to your pitch (Newtown Road, SW corner) and stand there flogging them.

Shift them as quick as you can and back inside, to queue to have your money counted in, and get paid, before rushing out to find an empty seat in the South Stand for the game. Normally miss first 5 / 10 minutes, but can't argue with a cool NINE pounds and a free ticket :thumbsup:

That sounds pretty sweet. When I was a Kid I used to sell 50/50 draw tickets at Stirling Albion so got to watch every game for free. My family had absolutely no money so there would be no way I could get in other wise. Did that for 2 years and never missed a home game. Brilliant memories, met David Pleat when Luton Town visited for a preseason Friendly. Cheeky sod told me he was the bus driver when I asked who he was!

If you cant get to matches seems like a no brainer, apply for a job and get involved.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011

do you get in to watch even if its fully sold out ?

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Whilst I was at college I worked as a match day steward in hospitality. Free coffee, chat to the fans and then watched the match and then back inside for a few hours. Easy money, no hassle and got to watch many matches. The one match that always stood out for me was Brighton 2 - #Tw@s 0, with Vicente's brace.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
My brother worked as a steward at Withdean for a short while to see if he could get paid and see a game.

Didn't really work out, as all he seemed to do was guard the away burger vans. The trick was to get to the ground as early as possible to get the best jobs.

His claim to fame though is that he BARRED entry to Andy Townsend as he was carrying a glass of prosseco , before that game were we thought we had won Falmer, before the 2nd public enquiry .

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My favourite 'matchday job' story was posted on another thread recently by [MENTION=352]pishhead[/MENTION]

Not big and not clever but for a period of time I was banned from Brighton games whilst we were at Withdean. My solution, I got a job at the sportsman which was closed whilst the games were on. For 2 seasons I got to watch all of the home games perched on top of the kids slide in the pub garden.

Genius :lolol:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I have a few friends who are stewards - seem to enjoy it and often simply get to watch the game whilst getting paid for it...

Also have a friend who works in the shop on a matchday - great but misses the first few minutes of every game (not a huge problem for you as you don't have season ticket).

Also have a friend who works at the training ground as a cleaner, he loves it, only been there a month but has met a few people he wouldn't have met outside and gets to spend the day at a place any brighton fan would love to be at i reckon.

I've also applied for a match-day role, yet to hear back but a bit of extra money, and working for the albion can't be too bad I am thinking

Shop worker/steward/cleaner..... I can think of a few better career paths..
hopefully they are students after pocket money...

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Shop worker/steward/cleaner..... I can think of a few better career paths..
hopefully they are students after pocket money...

A mixture... One steward is at Uni so yes, the others are all full time workers and do the stewarding as an extra.

Friend in shop is currently at college/with Albion for college so yes

Friend who cleans used to work in a bar and earns significantly more and has a much better job working for the albion...

You realise that people work in a number of jobs for various reasons, and whilst it may not be to your liking, without cleaners, stewards, or a number of 'menial' jobs to you, the country and world simply would be a much more difficult place

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A mixture... One steward is at Uni so yes, the others are all full time workers and do the stewarding as an extra.

Friend who cleans used to work in a bar and earns significantly more and has a much better job working for the albion...

You realise that people work in a number of jobs for various reasons, and whilst it may not be to your liking, without cleaners, stewards, or a number of 'menial' jobs to you, the country and world simply would be a much more difficult place

Dead right!

Unlike Joseph Muscat PM(Dictator) of Malta
https://www.timesofmalta.com/articl...tese-workers-picking-up-rubbish-muscat.708855

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Just got this via email

NEWS TICKETS HOSPITALITY MEMBERSHIP SHOP

NEWS: JOB VACANCIES

MATCHDAY ROLES AVAILABLE

CLOSING DATE: SUNDAY, 16 JUNE 2019

Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club are currently looking for enthusiastic and high performing individuals to join the team as a 'here to help' assistant, or matchday & events marketing assistant. In both of these roles, you will be responsible for offering friendly face-to-face, accurate information and support to all visitors and fans attending the American Express Community Stadium on a matchday.

Applicants must be comfortable with engaging with the public and have excellent communication skills. The successful candidates will have a helpful and cheerful personality and have knowledge of the American Express Community Stadium.

Both of these roles are ideal for season ticket holders who are available to work 2.5 hours prior to kick-off and are passionate about enhancing our supporters’ matchday experience.

To read each role description and to apply please click below:

'Here to help' matchday assistant

Matchday events & marketing assistant

BHAFC/AITC are fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.

BHAFC/AITC are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.

This email was sent to by © Brighton & Hove Albion Ltd registered company number 81077.

Company address: American Express Community Stadium, Village Way, Brighton, BN1 9BL.

Please click here to manage your email preferences or click here to unsubscribe from all marketing email communications.

Unsubscribe | Forward this email | View in browser

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003

Maybe because I worked hard at school and did not fancy being a cleaner or shopworker!!! , still each to their own.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A lot of the people I worked with at the Brighton Centre are stewards at Amex.
Seems good but you are in no way guaranteed to actually see any football.

Not sure what the Amex stewards are on but my hourly rate at BC was almost ten quid an hour, time and a half at weekends, double time bank hols, taxis home. I was on the doors a lot, as soon as the crowd is in, head up and watch the show.
Been paid to see some good ones.
Prodigy
Gorillas
Paul Weller
Billy Connolly
Gervais
Micky Flanagan
Liam Gallagher
And many more!

Saved my bacon after redundancy did that job.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe because I worked hard at school and did not fancy being a cleaner or shopworker!!! , still each to their own.

For most it’s a second job because they love the Albion and want to be a part of it, however small.
As I say, my stewarding job gave me an income when I was made redundant and retraining. Not to be sniffed at

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At school did they teach you to not look down on others? Many people who do these jobs are the very definition of ‘hard working’ and make a valuable contribution that we all benefit from.

Quite. There simply wouldn’t be a match day without them. Thankfully the vast majority of punters are very nice to staff.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
At school did they teach you to not look down on others? Many people who do these jobs are the very definition of ‘hard working’ and make a valuable contribution that we all benefit from.

This. and then THIS again.

As i previously said, the majority of the people i know work for the albion as either a part time job during their studies, or as an extra to their full-time jobs/careers. Some people really need to see some sense..

I guess the fact that i've applied for a part-time job at the Amex on a matchday means i didn't work hard in school, and therefore must deserve abuse.

When in fact, i'm 22, with a career in marketing, almost 6 years full-time work experience and love the albion, any extra money coming my way is an added bonus to working at the Amex.

Some people....

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
This. and then THIS again.

As i previously said, the majority of the people i know work for the albion as either a part time job during their studies, or as an extra to their full-time jobs/careers. Some people really need to see some sense..

I guess the fact that i've applied for a part-time job at the Amex on a matchday means i didn't work hard in school, and therefore must deserve abuse.

When in fact, i'm 22, with a career in marketing, almost 6 years full-time work experience and love the albion, any extra money coming my way is an added bonus to working at the Amex.

Some people....

No one is demeaning you working a second job.....if you read back to my first reply I said

'Shop worker/steward/cleaner..... I can think of a few better career paths..
hopefully they are students after pocket money... '

A second job is not a career its just a money spinner...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here