NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Most of the people gambling will be plants. This practice goes on in most capital cities I’ve been to in Europe. Once I sat and watched a group as I was having a coffee. When a police officer was spotted nearby it was obvious who the gang was. There were two spotters up and down the road, one shouted the police were spotted, and then the guy doing the trick plus 3 or so of the “gamblers” ran off with him. These same people were previously gambling 50 euros a piece and winning and it looked easy. As soon as a real tourist had a go the tricksters tricks started to appear.

Exactly this. On Westminster Bridge there are gang members up at Parliament Square and down by the hospital, constantly on phones, constantly on the look out. And on some days there are more than a dozen 'games' going, with up to ten operators per game, male and female. I spoke to a copper (no, I didn't scream) nearby a few months ago and he was completely not interested.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You had my attention and I was interested in the reasons and logistics until you used the word "white" . I like your posts on many subjects on here. But to look for favour due to colour turned me off. There should be no colour in our Society . Only Humanity and Humatrian situations

But there IS colour, always will be. You'd better get used to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh sorry it was to Harry Wilson's Tackle. I like his posts a lot but I didn't like that reference. He is a good poster. For me colour just doesn't exist. Only nice people

I have apologised, on the thread, for careless use of the word 'white'. One would hope that the context, and my post history, would preclude anyone thinking I am a casual racist. :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Are you sure? If it’s from a “third” country (outside of EU) there’s the earnings requirement box you need to tick. I recall reading an article wear folk serving in the forces abroad had met partners abroad and who subsequently could not move to the U.K. as their profession did not earn over 30k a year or something similar. I’m pretty certain marriage and cohabitation alone is not enough.

It's £18.6k pa, plus an extra £3.8k pa if you have a child and £2.4k pa for every other child thereafter, on top of an absolute mountain of paperwork and proofs of this, proofs of that required and a whole lot of other hassle - my ex-wife was a non EEA national.

There are an awful lot of people who do not meet the threshold requirement, so plenty of families are separated as a result. I'm sure you can guess who was Home Secretary when it was introduced.

Yes. It was the juxtaposition that struck me (undoubtably illegal immigrant criminal gangs operating openly in full view of the Houses of Parliament, week after week, month after month, but someone who will eventually be allowed to settle in the UK with her husband - and quickly if they spent lots of money on legal advice, like Alex Ferguson and his speeding issues - is mucked about for no earthly reason).

Another piece of utter cockwomblry is this buisiness of checking whether a person is legally entitled to work in the UK. I have several odd jobs as external examiner in different UK universities. Each time I am invited by an institution to do a job, I am then required to show my new employer that I am entitled to work in the UK. The fact that they asked me to do the job because I have been a visible and conspicuous UK-based academic, visibly and longstandingly in full time employment at a recognised institute for the last 30 years doesn't come into it. And - this is the thing - each institution does this differently. One just asked me to email my NI number. Another just took my word for it. Another, more recently, asked me to log on to a website (I had to register first) then upload scanned copies of my passport, plus supply other details. Why does every employer have to do this? Why does this have to be done every time you get a job? If you get a Saturday job at Morrisons these days do you have to bring in your birth certificate, or log on to a website? Aside from the pointlessness of this, the web site I recently had to use doesn't work. So I had 15 or so emails with three different administrators about this. I am still not registered, or checked, or officially employed, or paid. Meanwhile I have actually been doing the job for six months (checking exam papers etc). This isn't about having to do things, comply with requirements, etc. It is about the fact the requirements don't make sense, are not checked properly, and are just a massive tick box exercise. Meanwhile actual crime committed by people unentitled to be in the UK goes unmolested. I find it flabberghasting, frankly. Would Daily Mail readers get a tummy tickle, safe in the knowledge that I have had my right to work checked more that ten times in the last ten years, in a different way each time, thereby reducing crime? Or would they smell govermental bullshit? I have never been particularly interested in immigration, illegal or otherwise, but surely once a person's right to work here has been validated, this can be recognised with a certificate, or an entry on a record somewhere? I am looking forward to the day when I have to show my passport at Faversham station when I buy a ticket to work, every morning. While I am doing it, I can watch various chavs jumping over the barrier in order to travel without a ticket. And what about driving? Surely I ought to have to nip round Faversham nick and show them my clean driving licence every time I want to nip round the shops or drive down to the Amex? Why not? It would make the country safer.

Apologies for this grumpy old man thread. Is this what happens when people start thinking that maybe retirement might not be such a bad plan after all? :lolol:

Quality rant but I do get your point. In answer to ",,,,If you get a Saturday job at Morrisons these days do you have to bring in your birth certificate, or log on to a website..." for Morrisons substitute Waitrose and yes, youngest Potting did have to when she got a weekend job there. With regard to the low level crime that prompted HWT's thread starter suspect that the constabulary would prefer these folk to be "gainfully" employed in plain site conning the gullible (do people still fall for this, presumably they must) than perpetrating more serious crimes against the vulnerable. Still doesn't make it right.

See also https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-unpunished-because-of-cuts-says-police-chief which popped up in today's Guardian on line (I saw it somewhere else several days ago) - I admire the guy's honesty but he has probably blown a decoration when he retires!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It's £18.6k pa, plus an extra £3.8k pa if you have a child and £2.4k pa for every other child thereafter, on top of an absolute mountain of paperwork and proofs of this, proofs of that required and a whole lot of other hassle - my ex-wife was a non EEA national.

There are an awful lot of people who do not meet the threshold requirement, so plenty of families are separated as a result. I'm sure you can guess who was Home Secretary when it was introduced.

Thank you for bringing the facts into this thread - you are exactly right. I would also add that you can say goodbye to your spouses passport for 6 months or more while the application is processed, or pay a grand or so for a quick response. Robbing ********.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The British Home Office is at best an embarrassment and at worst an absolute ****ing disgrace. I know someone here who routinely applies for a visitor’s visa to visit his girl friend in the U.K. Last Xmas his application was refused. There has been no change in his circumstances, and they didn’t provide a reason despite a few phone calls....and he lost around 600 pounds/euros as a result. He didn’t get to spend Xmas with his girlfriend. When I last spoke he was unsure what to do as another application might also result in losing another 600 quid.

Now. Whatever you think about the situation his main gripe was that for 600 quid they should at least be respectful and give him the reason when he enquired.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quality rant but I do get your point. In answer to ",,,,If you get a Saturday job at Morrisons these days do you have to bring in your birth certificate, or log on to a website..." for Morrisons substitute Waitrose and yes, youngest Potting did have to when she got a weekend job there. With regard to the low level crime that prompted HWT's thread starter suspect that the constabulary would prefer these folk to be "gainfully" employed in plain site conning the gullible (do people still fall for this, presumably they must) than perpetrating more serious crimes against the vulnerable. Still doesn't make it right.

See also https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-unpunished-because-of-cuts-says-police-chief which popped up in today's Guardian on line (I saw it somewhere else several days ago) - I admire the guy's honesty but he has probably blown a decoration when he retires!

Cheers. Yes, Mrs T told me she had to provide five focuments to an agency when she was doing teaching training (unpaid) work experience.

And yes, probably they are under observation on Westminster Bridge.

Perhaps I need to chill a bit.....:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
bit hoity-toity

That was at least 20 years ago, on the old NSC, wan't it? :lolol:

It is only because it is true and funny that I'm not still annoyed :laugh:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Exactly he’d put himself on ignore, if it weren’t for his Narcissistic personality disorder.

Very disappointing thread opener.

He comes across as very insecure to me, although I agree with your sentiments too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like how tens of thousands of extremely high-skilled, hard-working people get rejected for US visas and then Melania Trump somehow gets an Einstein "extraordinary talent" visa? This happens in many countries, unfortunately..

I'm thinking I know exactly what her " Talent " is …… being able to suck the colour out of a glass marble ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cheers. Yes, Mrs T told me she had to provide five focuments to an agency when she was doing teaching training (unpaid) work experience.

And yes, probably they are under observation on Westminster Bridge.

Perhaps I need to chill a bit.....:thumbsup:

Do you want me to pop up and report back ? I'll do three rings when I get home.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm thinking I know exactly what her " Talent " is …… being able to suck the colour out of a glass marble ?
Eeeeeee. That was funny. I'm gonna have to squeeze that into a conversation in the future

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have apologised, on the thread, for careless use of the word 'white'. One would hope that the context, and my post history, would preclude anyone thinking I am a casual racist. :shrug:

Guess the way forward is to switch NSC to read-only mode at half eleven at night, local time, rather than choose to start venting threads that seem like a really good idea at the time :whisky:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Yes. It was the juxtaposition that struck me (undoubtably illegal immigrant criminal gangs operating openly in full view of the Houses of Parliament, week after week, month after month, but someone who will eventually be allowed to settle in the UK with her husband - and quickly if they spent lots of money on legal advice, like Alex Ferguson and his speeding issues - is mucked about for no earthly reason).

Another piece of utter cockwomblry is this buisiness of checking whether a person is legally entitled to work in the UK. I have several odd jobs as external examiner in different UK universities. Each time I am invited by an institution to do a job, I am then required to show my new employer that I am entitled to work in the UK. The fact that they asked me to do the job because I have been a visible and conspicuous UK-based academic, visibly and longstandingly in full time employment at a recognised institute for the last 30 years doesn't come into it. And - this is the thing - each institution does this differently. One just asked me to email my NI number. Another just took my word for it. Another, more recently, asked me to log on to a website (I had to register first) then upload scanned copies of my passport, plus supply other details. Why does every employer have to do this? Why does this have to be done every time you get a job? If you get a Saturday job at Morrisons these days do you have to bring in your birth certificate, or log on to a website? Aside from the pointlessness of this, the web site I recently had to use doesn't work. So I had 15 or so emails with three different administrators about this. I am still not registered, or checked, or officially employed, or paid. Meanwhile I have actually been doing the job for six months (checking exam papers etc). This isn't about having to do things, comply with requirements, etc. It is about the fact the requirements don't make sense, are not checked properly, and are just a massive tick box exercise. Meanwhile actual crime committed by people unentitled to be in the UK goes unmolested. I find it flabberghasting, frankly. Would Daily Mail readers get a tummy tickle, safe in the knowledge that I have had my right to work checked more that ten times in the last ten years, in a different way each time, thereby reducing crime? Or would they smell govermental bullshit? I have never been particularly interested in immigration, illegal or otherwise, but surely once a person's right to work here has been validated, this can be recognised with a certificate, or an entry on a record somewhere? I am looking forward to the day when I have to show my passport at Faversham station when I buy a ticket to work, every morning. While I am doing it, I can watch various chavs jumping over the barrier in order to travel without a ticket. And what about driving? Surely I ought to have to nip round Faversham nick and show them my clean driving licence every time I want to nip round the shops or drive down to the Amex? Why not? It would make the country safer.

Apologies for this grumpy old man thread. Is this what happens when people start thinking that maybe retirement might not be such a bad plan after all? :lolol:

It's the law and employers cannot just ask foreign nationals i.e. Non EEA/EU citizens to provide right to work documentation as that would be seen as discriminatory, therefore everyone has to provide proof of RTW in the UK wherever they are from. The rules are there for many reasons among them modern slavery, exploitation, human trafficking which are prevalent in today's society but go 'unseen' by the majority. It's annoying but it is actually important. I work in this field so see it from the coal face so to speak.

There is now a scheme where you can register online and employers can log in and check that you have RTW in the UK, you can do this once and different employers can use this to check your eligibility for as long as you have it.

If an employer does not conduct RTW checks and is then found to be employing someone illegally they can be fined by a civil process, it's not a criminal offence, up to 20k per person, ergo the legislation is in place for a reason.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You had my attention and I was interested in the reasons and logistics until you used the word "white" . I like your posts on many subjects on here. But to look for favour due to colour turned me off. There should be no colour in our Society . Only Humanity and Humatrian situations

Good grief. The sanctimony here is nauseating. It is ok to mention race and colour in conversation without immediately hitting the golden buzzer and going straight to Klan Wizards final. Stereotypes prevail for a reason. There’s a good lot of truth in them. And HWT makes a god point, this country because of colonial legacy has an inordinate amount of difficulties arising from the past and open door from almost every country on this planet. I very much doubt in say China, that you must provide health leaflets in 10 languages as normal. Or have school classes with 20+ different nationalities. These are all major challenges and cost a lot of money. Then of course there’s all the cultural differences that lead to a difference of opinion etc. They’re all creating challenges. And costs. People don’t leave their cultures behind or ways of thinking just because they move. So when it happens on mass as it has here then it’s bound to create a lot of challenges. And we ought to be allowed to acknowledge this without acquisitions of racism. Because this country was and for time being remains predominantly White with the same heritage that has given us a certain uniformity as a nation that is now obviously rapidly changing. Not necessarily for the better in my opinion! But that’s because I don’t trust our tribal species to integrate civilly. Christ, we can’t even watch a gameof football without being separated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here