Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Bloody Apple ....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In IT Support circles this is often described as "problem exists between keyboard and chair"

Indeed it is and in this case it's Mrs W giving me the wrong password ..... women eh ? All reset now !

Although I still hate Apple ..... why on earth should you need an ID and internet access to reset a device ? Give me the good old paperclip method anyday !

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Indeed it is and in this case it's Mrs W giving me the wrong password ..... women eh ? All reset now !

Although I still hate Apple ..... why on earth should you need an ID and internet access to reset a device ? Give me the good old paperclip method anyday !

Errrr the need for the security side of reseting a device is to make it errrr.... secure .... in case you get it stolen or just loose it for example!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Apple just bricked Mrs iPhone 5S. It said it had to update to IOS 12.2 (no choice), and doing so failed. Factory reset, etc, all failed. Phone now can't be used.

You don't have to upgrade any phone....just cancel the message and it stores the upgrade in settings for you to upgrade when you want.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Apple just bricked Mrs iPhone 5S. It said it had to update to IOS 12.2 (no choice), and doing so failed. Factory reset, etc, all failed. Phone now can't be used.

Worth popping into an Apple store and asking for some help. They are usually pretty good at sorting this sort of thing out unless it was "jailbroken" (hacked to unlock the software).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has Bensgrandad hacked your account?

D

Deleted member 22389

The number of people I know who moved to Apple over the years, became a massive Apple fan, then went around telling everyone why they should switch away from Windows. Now it seems they are getting increasingly annoyed with Apple. Apple used to be different about 15 years ago, now it seems they lock their users in, just like Windows.
Give me a Linux based OS any time of the day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The number of people I know who moved to Apple over the years, became a massive Apple fan, then went around telling everyone why they should switch away from Windows. Now it seems they are getting increasingly annoyed with Apple. Apple used to be different about 15 years ago, now it seems they lock their users in, just like Windows.
Give me a Linux based OS any time of the day.

Apple has always tried to lock in users, with their own non-standard proprietary formats, in earlier days they had own networking and printers for example. only difference is more people find this out. they use to get away with it because the added usability trumped the opposition, now the gap is much reduced and people realise the Apple way isnt always so great.

Linux is great for pros, not so much for home users.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Worth popping into an Apple store and asking for some help. They are usually pretty good at sorting this sort of thing out unless it was "jailbroken" (hacked to unlock the software).
Thanks, that is the plan. I'm sure they'll have a go, but I spent hours with it connected to iTunes trying to update then factory restore it etc, and always ended up with an update failed message, so I'm not sure they'll be able to fix it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don't have to upgrade any phone....just cancel the message and it stores the upgrade in settings for you to upgrade when you want.
That's always been the case in the past, but this time it wasn't letting her use the phone at all, it said she had to update. Googling it suggests it is, as you say, optional. Maybe, by sheer coincidence, her phone had died just after the update became available. I don't know, but it's somewhat dead now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In what way does Windows lock you in? It's never been a problem for me.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Thanks, that is the plan. I'm sure they'll have a go, but I spent hours with it connected to iTunes trying to update then factory restore it etc, and always ended up with an update failed message, so I'm not sure they'll be able to fix it.

Did you get an error 9?

I have this exact problem with my daughters iPhone SE.

I ended up buying her a new phone but I am still trying to find a way to fix it. I found some software called Reiboot but to actually fix it they want about £50 for the software.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did you get an error 9?
No, there was no error code. Firstly the mobile network wasn't working, and it said that the software had to be upgraded. I power reset the phone, but when it came back on it was the same. So we selected to upgrade, but that wouldn't work as there was no internet connection (it wouldn't connect to our wifi). So I plugged it into the PC, loaded iTunes (updated iTunes) and tried to do a software update like that. It all seemed to be working, but when it eventually finished it said it failed, and we could upgrade or restore. We tried both options a few times, but it always ended up with a message along the lines of 'The update failed' and an option to Update or Restore.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Errrr the need for the security side of reseting a device is to make it errrr.... secure .... in case you get it stolen or just loose it for example!!

Stop, being sensible for goodness sake !! He's having a bad day, Just humour him.

D

Deleted member 22389

In what way does Windows lock you in? It's never been a problem for me.

I'm talking in respects of newer versions of Windows being able to run on older hardware forcing customers to upgrade, if they don't know about the alternatives. I was running the latest version of Lubuntu on a laptop that was 13 years old, no problems. Each to their own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here