Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Trossard’s first goal being ruled out was crushing. That hurt a lot seeing all that unbridled joy get flushed down the toilet.

I was in the yes camp, but I think it goes too far. Now on the fence.

Perhaps the review system like cricket would be a better way of doing it?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
NO!! Forever NO!! F**king up our paid for enjoyment, so glad I didn't go, still raging from here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will we be getting a VAR thread every game?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
For at least this season.

Sad to see virtually every goal reviewed. I was hoping it would be more a case of review if in doubt rather than look to see if there is any way to disallow a goal.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
A bridge too VAR?

Thank you VARy much FIFA.

SomeVAR over the ****ing rainbow.

VAR VAR black sheep...

It's here to stay... we will get one chalked off to our benefit soon, just wait and see.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

20190817_171418.jpg

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
We are stuck with var now. Its all about damage limitation the next few seasons i reckon whilst working out how the **** best to use the piece of crap

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes. Improves the game. Technology is there, why not use it like other sports? Adds drama too.

100% yes.

Was the correct decision, just like VAR ruling out Murray's handball v Watford was the correct decision.

Correct decisions being made by referees is a positive thing. How many points has shambolic refereeing in the past cost us - so I'm glad that we are to see a massive improvement in the quality of refereeing because of VAR.

Some days it will suit us, others it won't. Will just will take a bit of getting used to.

You don't get football do you? Go watch an American sport you'll enjoy it so much more.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
There's far too much money involved in football to leave decisions down to 3 men in black.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As we would in a normal season without this bullshit.

Ah; BUT the difference will be that the decisions will be 99% correct as apposed to bad and wrong decisions dictating the outcome of games. I agree things will most likely still 'even out' but at least this way the decisions will mostly be legit.

It's too slow yes, it's an atmosphere killer agreed... so I do understand how you feel.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He's entitled to his opinion, and I'm a football fan for life and agree with him.

Some of us genuinely believe that more correct refereeing decisions will improve the game. To add to that many of us believe that the added drama improves the entertainment aspect too.

Until the day players like Matty Ryan give up running 80 yards to celebrate a goal not given, the day us supporters give up cheering a goal that 2 minutes later is not given. If sanitised football is your bag, best of luck to you.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ah; BUT the difference will be that the decisions will be 99% correct as apposed to bad and wrong decisions dictating the outcome of games. I agree things will most likely still 'even out' but at least this way the decisions will mostly be legit.

It's too slow yes, it's an atmosphere killer agreed... so I do understand how you feel.

Go watch American football, you really don't get it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should be done like cricket - only overturn the ref's decision (or suggest to the ref that he should look at it again) when the've made a howler or clearly missed something.
To use Dermot Gallagher's catchphrase (when defending every refereeing decision to the hilt on Ref Watch on Monday mornings), "I can see why he gave/didn't give that". In other words, it was borderline/doubtful/down to opinion. In that case, make it like cricket - on-field ref's decision stands.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s now an entirely different game. RIP football as was. Should do away with fans next. I mean, what’s the point. Far better if we all stay at home and analyse sport from a multitude of angles in slow motion to ensure ‘fairness’ whilst ignoring the utter unlevel playing pitch that exists already because of oil, gas and global gambling addicts. Also game could be stopped for every tackle and scrutinised, with adverts in between to increase money in the ‘sport’. Lets just get on with it and host the Cocaine Cup, biggest cartel wins eh? Losers get shot...(rings a bell?). Why not extend each goal to a television vote, the excitement would be immense. Again advertising slots could be promoted as the decision is awaited. In some instances, you might be able to boil a kettle, make a cuppa and return just in time to see the decision made. This is brilliant stuff, football was so dull before and VAR is the best invention ever because of the tension it builds and ‘equality’ it brings...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That's not sanitised, that's incredibly dramatic?

Besides, not EVERY goal will go to VAR. Only the controversial ones will... and out of the goals that are disallowed, the decision will surely be correct.

...and a lot of the time, we'll get to celebrate twice.

So why was our second goal on VAR? Controversial too? Don't talk bollocks.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
You don't get football do you? Go watch an American sport you'll enjoy it so much more.

Excellent counter argument.

After 15 years as a home season ticket holder and 8 years of going to most away games, I’d like to respectfully disagree that “don’t get football”. I can’t be the 80’s forever, time for football to progress with technology.

VAR can only improve. It’s here. It’s staying. Time to embrace it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It’s now an entirely different game. RIP football as was. Should do away with fans next. I mean, what’s the point. Far better if we all stay at home and analyse sport from a multitude of angles in slow motion to ensure ‘fairness’ whilst ignoring the utter unlevel playing pitch that exists already because of oil, gas and global gambling addicts. Also game could be stopped for every tackle and scrutinised, with adverts in between to increase money in the ‘sport’. Lets just get on with it and host the Cocaine Cup, biggest cartel wins eh? Losers get shot...(rings a bell?). Why not extend each goal to a television vote, the excitement would be immense. Again advertising slots could be promoted as the decision is awaited. In some instances, you might be able to boil a kettle, make a cuppa and return just in time to see the decision made. This is brilliant stuff, football was so dull before and VAR is the best invention ever because of the tension it builds and ‘equality’ it brings...

This.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here