Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Decent first half I thought.

Burn has looked very solid, and March and Montoya have over-lapped quite well and Locadia has looked quite lively.

We could definitely do with a bit more pace on the break though - as much as I love Gross for his delivery and ability to pick a pace, he has all the pace of a steamroller and expecting him to run with/after the ball is a non-starter. Hopefully we'll see Trossard and Maupay at some point and get a sense of what they'll have to offer.

Radio Five Live say Gross is the best player on the pitch. I'm on holiday no idea if that's correct..

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Who would have thought that not instantly retreating into a low block away from home would work?

Oh, come on. Watford ****ed up badly on that goal. It's good to keep the ball towards goal no matter the situation in the game. But that was Watford ****ing up. We do deserve to be ahead.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not been his biggest fan for the last two years but he has clearly been reprogrammed by Potter and looking absolutely splendid as is Pröpper.

Burn won’t be moving aside for Webster in this performance but not so sure about Duffy?

I reckon Duffy will be fine once he’s comfortable with the system, remember how poor he looked when we first signed him. It’s bizarre seeing Stephens hovering around the opposition box spraying forward passes, like seeing an old friends after a few years.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Decent first half I thought.

Burn has looked very solid, March and Montoya have over-lapped quite well, and Locadia has looked lively.

We could definitely do with a bit more pace on the break though - as much as I love Gross for his delivery and ability to pick a pass, he has all the pace of a steamroller and expecting him to run with/after the ball is a non-starter. Hopefully we'll see Trossard and Maupay at some point and get a sense of what they'll have to offer.

This. And Propper looking good. Thought he had a pretty dreadful Pre-season but has spead the ball wide when needed, put himself about a bit and had a pop himself.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Radio Five Live say Gross is the best player on the pitch. I'm on holiday no idea if that's correct..

I can't say he's particularly stood out to me in any one direction or the other, but there we go.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Think they have confused him with Propper. That is the only possible explanation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poor Duffy looks out of his depth in this style though.
Duffy doesn't have to pick a nice pass, he just needs to get it to a nearby teammate, or clear it. He's not good on the ball, but I don't want to lose his ability to clear it when needed (or score up the other end)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We're clearly a work in progress but that was quite promising. It's pleasing to see us turn up away from home and actually look to take part in the game. I think it's really important we take something out of the game. We looked similarly promising when we first went to three in the middle under Hughton but teething trouble and some silly mistakes cost us goals and results and we ended up losing confidence and...well, here we are now with Potter instead.

I'm not convinced by the three man defence though. It looks shaky and likely to concede. We're going to take some wallopings this season for sure.

I think it's really important we take something out of this game. I thought

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Interesting first half.

I might be alone (it seems) but I don't think we had a particularly good half. I'd say both teams have been a bit poor overall. Some frustration for me, losing the ball far to easily and very slow and static across the whole front three. Montoya hasn't had a great half, and we have made some silly/nervy mistakes.

However - having the most possession - away from home - very good to see. Enjoying even this, what I would call "a little shaky", performance far more than I did even the decent performances last season. Definately prefer us playing this way. Obviously being 1 - 0 up, very nice too.

Still there is clearly some work to be done, which is totally understandable, it's only game one, and only a few weeks into the new system, so I'm fine with that.

Makes me wonder what we might be able to achieve when we get going a bit and settle into the system a bit more.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Pleased overall. Look so much more positive. Propper looks like a different player, Stephens looking forward most of the time, March excellent too. Poor Duffy looks out of his depth in this style though.

Webster for Duffy before he loses the ball somewhere suicidal, please.
I think Gross, Murray and Duffy looking far from their best. The rest of the team doing well. Burns, Solly and Montoya standouts for me

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here