Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1983 and 2019 - compare and contrast

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Big difference for me is that in 83 I had to wait until the Sunday newspaper came out to find out the result. I was living in Vancouver at the time. May as well have been on the banks of the great grey green greasy Limpopo.

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
1983 the residents of Norwich Drive Bevendean wanted to rename it Seagull or Albion Drive.
Maybe rename Manchester Street, Albion Alley!

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
Actor and comedian Stephen Fry was one of those who came down on a special train from Norwich to Brighton (not Hove)
Class 37 haulage apparently!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the way back from the final, a group of us ended up in a first class carriage on way back to Hastings.
One mate got bored, decided to unscrew a light bulb and start throwing to each other.
One throw ended up with light bulb smashing on the floor.
Stage right a copper turns up right on que, took all of our names, including mine, who he already knew who I was, being that he worked with my dad.
Bloke was a tool, so next stop I got off train and called my dad to let him know of incident.
Hence the ban :lolol:

I always thought you were a bit of a rotter.

:lolol::bigwave:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 2019 team is far better and able to win to stay up whereas the 1983 team never looked like winning a league game once the bad run started and the joke of a manger couldnt get them motivated for league games. He was only interested in promoting himself on TV.

MisterE

Nov 2, 2009
183 and 2019 NOT in its entirity please

I hope we don't do exactly what happened in 1983 - Cup Final and Relegation - I'm sure we won't
Memories of 1983 have been coming back to me for some reason :) and it's led me to think what's different and whether the changes are better or worse.

Semi-final draw - 1983: had to wait until the Monday after the games (iirc) - probably due to the ball polisher's union rules. At school, someone brought a little transistor radio. The anticipation was great and the buzz when we heard we'd drawn Massive was great. 2019: Draw happens immediately after the game. No waiting. The buzz of winning the game in such dramatic fashion was spoilt slightly by knowing we'd drawn Man City. Winner: 1983

QF atmosphere: 1983: the Goldstone stuffed to the rafters. Watched the game from what felt like half way up the floodlights in the SE but was probably only about 4ft up the gantry. I remember it being a warm day and it being pandemonium when Jimmy scored his bullet shot. 2019: Didn't go. Was fun watching it on TV with my son who I nearly threw through the ceiling when we scored the second! Can someone who went to both comment?

Semi-final: 1983: Didn't go and had to listen to it on the radio. Was exciting but annoying. 2019: Will be live on TV with ability to pause, rewind, etc. Free if on BBC, have to go to pub if BT. Winner: 2019

Tickets: 1983: Was a season ticket holder so no problem getting a ticket for final. Amazing day that is still one of the highlights of my football life. 2019: No longer a season ticket holder so probably won't even have a chance of a ticket (for semi or the final) and definitely won't be able to get ones for my kids as well so it will have to be watched on TV. Don't know if watching it with the family will outweigh actually being there. Winner: tbc

Quality of football: 1983 - tbh I don't remember enough to properly compare but it feels remarkably similar to today: A fringe England international colossus in centre defence, strong wingers, battling midfielders. Main difference would be the pitch quality and rules which effectively allowed on-pitch assaults. 2019: Today's team are clearly technically and physically better due to changes in training, medical knowledge, pitch quality, etc. Both great to watch at times but also infuriating at others. Winner: Draw.

Interested to hear other's thoughts and categories

Brandyaitch

Nov 29, 2018
I had the numbers 1 and 5 for my age back in 1983.....I have them in 2019 as well !!!! Sadly the wrong way around now.

Still remember that day standing in the clock end at Highbury then the trips to Wembley for both games....Never forgotten.
Me too

I still find myself shouting YES at every home game when they replay Jimmy Case's Highbury goal as part of Fanzine highlights
Another abiding memory is arriving at the Goldstone at 5.30 am to join the queue of thousands for tickets for the final and a repeat job for the replay just after.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I got married to my first wife in February that year, was struggling with a huge mortgage and my social life fell away to zero, work-overtime-sleep and repeat, the marriage was a disaster and was over by the August. Watched the final on telly with a solitary mate and 4 cans of piss lager.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
What a run that was.

I went to Liverpool in round 4(?) - that was an amazing day. I was there (SE corner) for the QF. Watched the highlights again on Friday and I'd forgotten just how Norwich battered us that day- they were very unlucky.

I went to Semi at Highbury - an absolute amazing day - probably my favourite day of football ever.

The final was amazing - I got a coach there, and I remember driving through london in a massive Thunderstorm. I only remember 'highlights' of the day (I was only 15) but the atmosphere will stay with me til my dieing day.

The replay - not so much. One Of The Worst Days Ever.

Strangely perhaps, I just knew after that magnificent final that we were as close as we were going to get and had to win it in one match or lose over two. That at least made the replay more bearable, and those of us who were there will always have that Saturday Final. And it wasn't just Smith not scoring - if that Whiteside hadn't crocked Chris Ramsey ..

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Strangely perhaps, I just knew after that magnificent final that we were as close as we were going to get and had to win it in one match or lose over two. That at least made the replay more bearable, and those of us who were there will always have that Saturday Final. And it wasn't just Smith not scoring - if that Whiteside hadn't crocked Chris Ramsey ..

I think I actually 'enjoyed' the replay more in an odd sense. The Final was dramatic, and unbelievable at half-time to see the scoreboard saying we were one-up. But then nervous as anything, because of worrying that we were going to throw away what we had earned up till then. After the equaliser it was mayhem - but again the extra time was as much 'please don't let us lose now' as 'come on'. Whereas the replay was done and dusted quite early, and I could just sing and cheer with pride and without any concerns.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yesterday's game was pretty extraordinary in lots of ways, but this year's Cup run still has a way to go to eclipse '83, for me. Think I was on the East Terrace for the Norwich game, jammed in and behind the fencing. We squeaked that result. The semi v Massive was amazing, made all the more sweet as we were sat in the West stand at Highbury with Seb Coe (a Wednesday fan) in the row in front.
Here are some pix from the final ...
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
My dad couldnt get tickets for the first final. Smith DID score, I still blame Robinson for bottling it and passing to Smith who was in a worse position IMO. Dad got tickets for the replay and teenage ******** me decided not to go with him ...wanted to watch with my mates who never went to any games unlike me and my dad I also felt like we had our chance and would get thrashed in the replay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here