Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was the half time team talk?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
So why was he shouting at them to go forward for basically the whole 2nd half?

Didn’t see that but if he did.. why didn’t the players do it? lol robably because they know the drill...go 1 up and DEFEND.. every game! We have no bollocks

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it was more to do with Vardy coming on in the 56 th minute. He changed the game, without him, they had less ambition than us, with him, they looked a very good side.
Disgraceful cheating, bringing on a sub after only 56 minutes. Absolutely underhand tactics. I'm so pleased and proud my club doesn't think it appropriate to stoop to such levels.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hughton's interview said it all. Lets start with "There a very good side" Chris if we played the ****ing dead eleven from the local morgue they'd be a "very good side".

****ing stop negative ****ing tactics when we are in control, its doing my ****ing head in.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wow! Can't believe the number of people saying it was all Hughton's fault. Thankfully as some have noted he was going mental beckoning them to push up. Also astutely mentioned in a previous post was our rubbish attempt to play ' keep ball' which from from where I was in WSU was met with tongue in cheek 'olays'.
For me this was down to the players.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Wow! Can't believe the number of people saying it was all Hughton's fault. Thankfully as some have noted he was going mental beckoning them to push up. Also astutely mentioned in a previous post was our rubbish attempt to play ' keep ball' which from from where I was in WSU was met with tongue in cheek 'olays'.
For me this was down to the players.

For me it’s the tactics.. we always defend a 1-0 lead.. we are so negative and predictable. We were like the away team today. Totally embarrassing

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No idea why they didn't but Hughton was constantly telling them to push forward throughout the 2nd half.

Maybe, Leicester have better attacking players than us, being as their squad is far more expensive in fees and wages than we have got at the moment.
I tend to think some on here are still using our Championship form as a guide to how we should be playing, and how we should be getting similar results. We were a very good Championship team, exceptional even, but, we are a lower half Premier League team, and, we are still punching above our weight.
I would have thought only 2 teams have spent less than us, and, pay lower wages, we are going to have more disappointing games than satisfactory ones, ‘‘tis the way of a lower Prem side, but, we won’t be hammered by any team, and we should be good enough to stay up, and that, at the moment, is our priority.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Lads, it's Leicester"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd love to know because we made a mess of the kick off and then allowed Leicester to look like they were the team with an extra player.

TBF, perhaps it was more to do with what Puel said to his side at half time because Leicester pressed far higher and with much more urgency after the break, we certainly didn't look like we expected that. We tried to play keep ball at times, probably a good tactic if you can do it, sadly, once again, we were yet again unable to against a team that is prepared to work hard and close down the space.

Its a lesson we need to learn quickly because Huddersfield, Palace and Burnley will all play this way against us and if recent examples are anything to go by, will all be 3 points closer to us by the end of the respective games.

Im no coach, but it seems to me that if you have pacey wingers that are allowed to play as wingers, a simple ball over the top for them to chase, is an effective way out of the high press, no good to us of course, because we would have to have afforementioned wingers.
Oh well, i guess we can always pass our way out of trouble, gotta come good at some point, right?

Maybe Puel didn’t say anything? The Leicester players may have realised what needed to be done and the manager said nothing.

People who’ve never really played football under a paid manager, whether county, non-league, pro, probably place too much emphasis on what the manager does during a game because they don’t credit that it’s 2 teams on the field and instructions can go out the window fast.

There are some wonderful stories of the great managers team talks; Busby utterly silent until they’re just about to go out ‘you only need a goal lads, Clough ahead of the European Cup Final says nothing other than picks the ball up and says ‘don’t let them have this’. Some of the legendary managers like Clough and Busby mentioned never got involved in tactics, Clough would take Woodcock out of training so they could play squash!

Fans place too much tactics on managers, a lot of it has to be down to the players, the manager is there to get them ready and motivated, their influence isn’t all defining.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In most situations when you go ahead with a long way to go, you go for the second goal. Because you know that what happened today - and happened a lot last season before Xmas - can always occur.

I get that if you have a decent defence, as we have, then you might risk holding on to a one goal lead for 15 minutes. But today, against ten men, we should have been looking for no2 before half time and if not then as soon as possible after the break.

All Prem Lg teams have a goal in them from somewhere, and it was criminal to be clinging on after the first half.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
CH waving the players forward most of the second half suggesting what he was seeing was not what he’d instructed. Players played poorly second half, Leicester transformed and took risks. Players need to have a look at themselves 2nd half, only so much a manager can say or do.

Just watched Hughton’s comments on MOTD. To paraphrase We needed the second goal, we were better against the 11 than the 10. I think that’s Hughton’s very polite way of slagging the team off.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe, Leicester have better attacking players than us, being as their squad is far more expensive in fees and wages than we have got at the moment.
I tend to think some on here are still using our Championship form as a guide to how we should be playing, and how we should be getting similar results. We were a very good Championship team, exceptional even, but, we are a lower half Premier League team, and, we are still punching above our weight.
I would have thought only 2 teams have spent less than us, and, pay lower wages, we are going to have more disappointing games than satisfactory ones, ‘‘tis the way of a lower Prem side, but, we won’t be hammered by any team, and we should be good enough to stay up, and that, at the moment, is our priority.

Yep

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton's interview said it all. Lets start with "There a very good side" Chris if we played the ****ing dead eleven from the local morgue they'd be a "very good side".

****ing stop negative ****ing tactics when we are in control, its doing my ****ing head in.

He was said it was “frustrating...hugely disappointing...and that we should have [killed the game off cos they had 10 men]”. Idea that he was complacent about today instead of being furious both in the interviews and almost certainly in the dressing room is ridiculous.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Because we have a mentally arthritic manager who would rather protect a one nil lead than go looking for a second and third goal. One nil is always enough, except for when it isn't.

Harsh.....!! we lack real quality , the new signings are average , Dunk , Duffy and Matty can't win games for us week in week out we can survive with the defence we have but we need a real quality centre mid and a quality striker to play with Muzz.......the fact we are playing a war horse up front on his own in the toughest league in the world is an indication of how far behind the game we are .........i hate to say it , i can see us scraping a draw at burnley...please god....!! but i see melt downs of biblical proportions when the goons from up the road beat us in a couple of weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here