Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The best team won today but...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I was back in Sussex for the weekend so i watched the game in a pub I used to frequent back when I lived locally.

Thought your lot made far more of a game of it than I was expecting, especially after going one down in the opening minutes.

When that ball was looped in to the box and I saw Murray lurking, I honestly thought you would equalise. If Laporte had not managed to get his boot on it, you’d have been right back in the game.

Hope all of your fans who went enjoyed the day, despite the result. At least you all left the ground with your heads held high, plenty of teams have been overrun by Man City this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Still don't know how Murray didn't score and I've seen the replays! Incredible defending by Laporte (I think).

Duffy definitely committed a foul, before winning that header. If Murray had put it in, it would almost certainly have been chalked off after a VAR review.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thought we were excellent. Every player gave it their all. I’m sure City fans - and some of the national press who can only see everything from the point of view of the big 6 - will say they strolled through without engaging their extra gear. Bullshit. Guardiola teams don’t settle for 1-0. We made it very tough for them. Sure, they probably had an extra gear for emergencies but a couple of reports I’ve already seen are disappointing.

The 5 Live interview with Chris Hughton went the same way. The reporter saying to Chris Hughton (paraphrased), “the football purists night ask why you would be proud of a performance like that?”. Frankly a piss-take of a question exploiting the fact she knows he’s possibly the nicest men in football. 99% of managers would have ripped her head off for that.

It makes it sound like we’re just kicking lumps out of people, rather than playing in some matches where the deck is massively stacked against us. If the sniffy ‘football purists’ don’t like teams (not just us) trying to hang in and nick a goal, they should take it out on the clubs that are wealthy beyond belief that have distorted competition to such an extent that it’s now pretty much the only option. And still doesn’t work very often. As we’ve seen this week with the mooted European changes, they won’t stop until they’ve effectively killed the domestic leagues.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, having thought beforehand that we were going to get spanked (and fearing the worst when they scored) I was actually a bit disappointed at the final whistle. We knew that to get a result City would not have to be at their best, whist we'd have to play WAY better than we have done. Well both those things were true, but even though we were better we weren't quite good enough.

Not really complaining though. It was a great day and the fans' 2nd half performance was good. Just hope we (fans and players) can take that performance into the remaining league games

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Capture.PNG

We equipped ourselves okay but once City had scored they were in cruise control, not the best of games to watch but our supporters made it a decent day out. :thumbsup:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
View attachment 107269

We equipped ourselves okay but once City had scored they were in cruise control, not the best of games to watch but our supporters made it a decent day out. :thumbsup:

If you're citing possession for 'cruise control', it's meaningless. Leicester won the league with stats like that. With all City's resources they managed a whopping 4 shots on target. Albion deserve huge credit for that. Just a shame we couldn't nick something from a set-piece (and we nearly did) - that was always likely to be our only real chance.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
If you're citing possession for 'cruise control', it's meaningless. Leicester won the league with stats like that. With all City's resources they managed a whopping 4 shots on target. Albion deserve huge credit for that. Just a shame we couldn't nick something from a set-piece (and we nearly did) - that was always likely to be our only real chance.

Hence my comment "not the best of games to watch" Leicester did win the league with stats like that, remind me again who won on Saturday?

Yes it was a shame we couldn't nick one, but to be honest we never really looked like doing so, plenty of effort with no end product,
just accept it for what it was a fantastic day out with us having a slim outside chance of winning..

Our support was immense and the team gave it their best shot..:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here