Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gordon Banks RIP

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As others have said, "Legend" is bandied about all the time now when it should really be reserved for people like Gordon Banks. What a player and by all accounts an absolute gent of a man.

RIP Sir (and yes he should have been knighted).

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed, me too. Th 1966 World Cup winning squad are dwindling in numbers now.

There are 14 still alive, although, sadly, Stiles, Jack Charlton, Peters and Greaves are reportedly in poor health

On the other hand, Geoff Hurst still looks like he could go on the pitch for the last 15 minutes to push for a late goal.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Often these days the word legend is used far too cheaply, but as others have said, Banks was a real legend of the English game. A hero, and an icon.

Not particularity tall, certainly by modern standards, but his positioning was immaculate, as was his agility. Quick feet (he wouldn't have made 'that ' save otherwise) and superb handling, despite the fact in those days keepers rarely, if ever wore gloves.

Growing up, when we played jumpers-for-goalposts style in the park, we would chose current players to 'be'. Banks was always picked as the goalkeeper.

Moore, (Bobby) Charlton and Banks for me were the three stand out players of the 66 WC winning side. That's another lost today.

I was never fortunate enough to meet him, but by all accounts he was a real gentleman too.

Today we really have lost a true,true legend of the English game.

RIP Gordon, and condolences to your family and friends.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sad, sad news. A colossus of the world game. RIP Gordon Banks :(

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Very sad news

Did he play one half in the 75th centenary match?

RIP

Yes he played the second half. I remember how thrilled I was to see him play having only ever seen him on the telly. RIP to a true legend.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Yes he played the second half. I remember how thrilled I was to see him play having only ever seen him on the telly. RIP to a true legend.

Thanks for confirming

Now I can say,I once saw the great Gordon Banks play

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Very sad to lose an absolute legend.

There used to be a saying of: "It was easier to rob the Bank of England than put the ball past Banks of England".

RIP Gordon.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sad news and plenty of coverage on Radio Stoke and the same off field opinion from so many callers or people who had meet Gordon a gentleman away from the game. Always on the back pages for the right reasons and not on the front pages for the wrong reasons. To read the Ramsey deal at Juventus for me just shows whats wrong with football. You could have imagined that had Gordon walked into your 'local' people would have stood up and cheered as for Ramsey probably get up and walk out. Players talk about peak or their career,the pinnacle of achievement,yet never actually winning Gordon did all three. Respect and thanks for the memories. R-i-P

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I was only 2 years old when we won the World cup, and my position through all schools was as the goalie.

I always pretended I was Gordon Banks back then, even carrying it on when playing footie with my boy in the park as he was growing up, as recently as four years ago.

Legend isn't a big enough word for him.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just found out and very saddened.
As gradually, one by one, we lose our brave boys from 66, Bobby, Sir Alf, Bally, Ray and now Banksy, a tiny bit of me goes with them. Alf built the team around three men, the spine of his team. Banks, Moore and Charlton. He knew they were world-class and as long as the others did their job, he could rely on the brilliance of these three, the three greatest players to ever wear an England shirt and all in the same team.
Gordon Banks made goalkeeping look straightforward. His positional sense was superb. He had brilliant reflexes. He was solid, safe and dependable. He was simply the best England goalkeeper of all time. No one has run him close. Alan Mullery said that Pele was shouting ' goal ' when he headed the ball down and seemingly into the corner of the net. What followed, was for me, the best save I have ever seen. I was 16 and in a pub, with a lot of men. There was stunned silence followed by a gasp of pure amazement. People shook their heads in disbelief. As David Coleman said...." what a save "
RIP and thanks for giving us memories that we will cherish all our lives.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Gutted at his passing. He was my boyhood hero. I remember hearing the news of the car accident that ended his career in the early 70’s. I was about 8 at the time and cried.

I also remember spending ages desperately trying to stop my older cousin and his friend from forcing their way in to my bedroom as they threatened to tear up my Gordon Banks poster. I was prepared to defend it with my life.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed, me too. Th 1966 World Cup winning squad are dwindling in numbers now.

Digressing, I went to an annual Albion dinner at the Brighton Centre about 12 years ago, where the guest speaker was George Cohen. All tables were sold, a big crowd. During George’s short talk, a lot of punters carried on talking and laughing. Dick Knight grabbed the mic and told the audience to show respect to an England legend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here