Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Tough one! My Bianchi is a 56cm, but at 6' it's perfect for me although a sizing guide would probably suggest the 58 or even 60cm frames. At 6' I'd go for the large in this Planet X bike, but if I was straddling the sizes, I'd be included to go for the smaller option rather than larger - unless you've got particularly long proportioned legs. E.g. if I was 5'11'' I'd probably still go for the medium, and likewise if I was 6'2" I'd go with the L rather than jump up to the XL.

I think (and I've probably read this somewhere too) that it is easier to make a smaller bike bigger through adjustments etc. than make a bigger bike smaller - if you catch my drift. Hence I'd go with the smaller size if I was on the cusp.

I spoke to the guy at Planet X and he seemed to think I should go for the XL based on the fact I have a longer body, rather than legs. That seems to be the opposite to what you're saying?!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
What's this doing way down on the second page!?

I think I'm going to get this. Seems RIDICULOUSLY good value.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-22-road-bike

Also, still can't decide whether to get Large of X-large. Can someone help (or make my decision for me :p)

There are a few online sites that you can put your measurements into. e.g. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

There is no magic formula, it depends on each person and what they feel comfortable with. Some people are more flexible and are happy to be crouched over an aggressive aero position while others prefer a more upright position.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I spoke to the guy at Planet X and he seemed to think I should go for the XL based on the fact I have a longer body, rather than legs. That seems to be the opposite to what you're saying?!

I would take that as me being wrong then! :thumbsup: How tall are you then?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

[MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION] is right, but equally I can't help but recommend the L to you just on a gut feeling of what I would do even with a long torso. I'd rather be slightly more upright than over reaching. You can always slide the saddle back a bit on the smaller frame (although likewise you can slide it forward on the bigger frame.).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Out of interest are people recommending the large based on intuition or actually looking at the geometry?

The frame is relatively small for all sizes no, particularly and most importantly the top tube and head tube?

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Not sure if this helps, but I'm 5'10" and have the medium Pro Carbon. Recently had the bike fitted and the guy said it was pretty well spot on for me, which was a relief!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Out of interest are people recommending the large based on intuition or actually looking at the geometry?

The frame is relatively small for all sizes no, particularly and most importantly the top tube and head tube?

I'm 6' and my top tube 56cm compared to the 57cm of the PlanetX L. The XL is 59cm. The seat tube length is slightly shorter on the L than mine, but a higher seat post will actually mean you're slightly further from the bars anyway. From that experience I can only offer [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] my opinion that the L is probably fine. My Bianchi is a C2C (coast to coast) so designed for more comfort than aggression - the biggest top tube they go up to in this range is 58.5 (I realise all the geometry contributes to the actual fitting and so top tube alone doesn't tell you how the angles effect everything else).

Notters is faced with ordering off the internet and asking an opinion, so that's how I got to it really. Ideally you'd try it have it fitted.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know I'd be better to try it, but I'm not going to get anything like that from a shop, sadly. (Unless I go to Yorkshire).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to put a spanner in the works.
I'm 6ft, 32 inch leg, and the top tube on my Bianchi C2C is 58 cms, and that fits just fine. (if anything I sit too low down).

TBH assuming you're not freakishly proportioned [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] I doubt there is a right answer.

Can you pop along to a LBS and sit on bikes that vary in size?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm 6ft, 32 inch leg, and the top tube on my Bianchi C2C is 58 cms, and that fits just fine. (if anything I sit too low down).

TBH assuming you're not freakishly proportioned [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] I doubt there is a right answer.

Perhaps that's the answer.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Next NSC ride we're going to have to have a swap so I can see how the slightly longer reach feels.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

TBH assuming you're not freakishly proportioned [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] I doubt there is a definitively wrong answer.

Edited to make more sense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Next NSC ride we're going to have to have a swap so I can see how the slightly longer reach feels.
What makes you think you can just throw your leg over my top tube, willy-nilly?

It was bad enough when [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] defiled my bike with his touch. :lol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It was bad enough when [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] defiled my bike with his touch. :lol:

I did regret suggesting it shortly after posting. What if I liked yours more? I might never feel the same way about mine. It could irretrievably effect my relationship. Best let sleeping dogs lie.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'm kind of hoping these will become more frequent. I'd welcome a group to go riding with but don't really want to join one of the ultra-hardcore and competitive cycling clubs nearby. At least not yet! Are we going to have our own club/team? Like the Albion Arrows or something?!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Following the Planet X theme, just had an email through that their Exocet 2 TT frame is half price. They seem to have stock in all sizes and colours. Been looking at these for a while and sorely tempted to order one to build up a tri bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm kind of hoping these will become more frequent. I'd welcome a group to go riding with but don't really want to join one of the ultra-hardcore and competitive cycling clubs nearby. At least not yet! Are we going to have our own club/team? Like the Albion Arrows or something?!
Can the Albion Arrows be classed as a club if it only has one member!!

Albion Arrows :facepalm: :nono:

If this conversation gains a pace we could end up with our own jerseys :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Oi! Nothing wrong with my touch.

You can't judge a bike until you've given it a stroke. You should have seen me by the Sky Team car on Madeira Drive. Those bikes got the full fondle.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], might be worth asking your question on a bike forum. May well be someone already made the same switch. If you ain't a member anywhere, I'll ask if you want. Need to know what you're on now though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here