Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we agree on one thing?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Regardless of how 2019/20 pans out it neither proves that sacking Hughton was a good decision, nor does it prove it was a bad decision.

If we finish 10th under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 9th under Hughton.

if we go down in 18th position under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 19th under Hughton.

We won't have the benefit of assessing the new manager under the same conditions as Chris Hughton, so there is no way of knowing who would have produced the better outcome.

104844d4e04ebc685c82d959d24349de.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Regardless of how 2019/20 pans out it neither proves that sacking Hughton was a good decision, nor does it prove it was a bad decision.

If we finish 10th under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 9th under Hughton.

if we go down in 18th position under a new manager, there is no way of knowing that we wouldn't have finished 19th under Hughton.

We won't have the benefit of assessing the new manager under the same conditions as Chris Hughton, so there is no way of knowing who would have produced the better outcome.

You're like the Liberal Democrats!

Away with the tribal Hughton In and Hughton Out brigades, the alternative voice of team "Fence" offers the third way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You should join my game with that kind of logic. Designing a fair test is impossible when there is no way of incorporatinga time-matched control. :thumbsup:

That said....football is all about opinions, is it not? ???

Fact.

Edit, I see that some people think you are stating the obvious, and that some think you are incapable of forming a firm opinion.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Look, I don't want to be picky or anything. But isn't that agreeing on two things?

No, it's two sides of the same coin. If anyone gives a toss.

[Bugger, I was just going to post that. Good thing I checked all the other posts first.]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Although I agree with your general point, that some will claim that the results are proof that the decision was good/bad, even if it's impossible to tell, it is also possible that we will be able to tell.

For example, we're not going to pretend that it's not clear whether changing Hyypia for Hughton was a good idea or not are we? We should see some changes on the pitch over summer, but we might see the new boss get more or less out of the players we keep.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Regardless of how 2019/20 pans out it neither proves that sacking Hughton was a good decision, nor does it prove it was a bad decision..
OK, but depending on how 2019/20 pans out, I will have definate opinions about whether it was a successful decision or not!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You know, Tony knows, good business.

So when I heard on the radio Chris Hughton has been fired, I was shocked.

That would be like Simon Cowell setting up a talent show in Antarctica.

That would be bad business.

But Bloom has sacked Hughton so we should definitely trust him.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ha.

We have a shit season, and half of NSC will be on here moaning about the decision to sack Hughton, whatever the first post of this thread says :lol:

Clicks are safe, Bozza, and you know it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Shouldn’t that be a post for the Line of Duty thread?!

Absolutely no idea. What's Line of Duty all about?

P.S. Please don't bother explaining - I know it's a TV series, but one in which I have no interest whatsoever! Happy to carry on having absolutely no idea!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Next season wont be about the staying up points tracker...

... it will be all about the ...what team would CH have picked and did we do better or worse … was it more boring … more exciting …

the word IF needs to be banned next season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was thinking about this today. While we as individuals might accept that we won't ever really know how things would have played out if Hughton stayed, mainstream media doesn't tend to do complexity and nuance and that will either be to Hughton's benefit or potentially to the end of his premier league career. If we start poorly, the narrative will be we made a mistake, Chris Hughton looks better for it. If we start well, Brighton were right to bin him off and the footballing world believes Hughton isn't who you want, maybe he can keep you up - but only just and with boring football, you're better off looking elsewhere.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

What are you trying to say?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was thinking about this today. While we as individuals might accept that we won't ever really know how things would have played out if Hughton stayed, mainstream media doesn't tend to do complexity and nuance and that will either be to Hughton's benefit or potentially to the end of his premier league career. If we start poorly, the narrative will be we made a mistake, Chris Hughton looks better for it. If we start well, Brighton were right to bin him off and the footballing world believes Hughton isn't who you want, maybe he can keep you up - but only just and with boring football, you're better off looking elsewhere.

Looks like I’ll have to turn the TV or radio down, when pundits lament over CH. To give Potter a proper chance, cheer his team on and to make up my own mind.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Yep - been trying to say this for a while... But it won’t stop NSC’s mystic megs will it...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
He's saying that if we stay up it's because we sacked CH and if we go down it's because we kept CH for too long.

I totally disagree, but that is what he's saying.

That’s literally the opposite of what he’s saying! Bozza is saying that there is no way of knowing if we’d have been better or worse off with GP than CH, so basically, let’s not bother too much about any comparisons. In my opinion - which I know you’re all dying to know, judging by the HUNDREDS of direct messages you’ve been sending - I think we’ll end up with an identical scraping by 17th place, and Bozza’s post will look mighty foolish! Hahhaha I cant wait to bump it.

Night all x

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

If we finish sixth?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s literally the opposite of what he’s saying! Bozza is saying that there is no way of knowing if we’d have been better or worse off with GP than CH, so basically, let’s not bother too much about any comparisons. In my opinion - which I know you’re all dying to know, judging by the HUNDREDS of direct messages you’ve been sending - I think we’ll end up with an identical scraping by 17th place, and Bozza’s post will look mighty foolish! Hahhaha I cant wait to bump it.

Night all x

In fairness there is one way of finding out - Minimal investment in the squad.

If Big Jurg, Andone and Ali J fire us to 100 points and third in the league - The team was clearly worse under CH.

Naturally the reverse is true, should we happen to be resigned to Championship football before Christmas - They'll be no doubting the team was better under CH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here