Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion and Southern Trains

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
TBH if you can't walk to the stadium you are probably not supporting your local side???

What if they ARE your life-long local club, and then work / life takes you elsewhere.

Am I supposed to

a. Go and support Eastleigh instead?
b. Walk 70 miles to the Amex?

Neither seem a terribly attractive proposition.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry just think the union is a joke. So many trains running without problems with system they want to bring in. A driver I know said there are very good cameras that driver can see every door and it should be no problem. Different rail franchises pay drivers different amounts and some swap from one to another. Why dont unions agree same salary for all franchises to save this happening. Interesting to know turn out when they had ballot. My opinion strikes should only be allowed if over 50% of workforce agree not over 50% of those who voted
As a matter of interest was in Germany recently and on underground they even had trains with NO driver.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Sorry just think the union is a joke. So many trains running without problems with system they want to bring in. A driver I know said there are very good cameras that driver can see every door and it should be no problem. Different rail franchises pay drivers different amounts and some swap from one to another. Why dont unions agree same salary for all franchises to save this happening. Interesting to know turn out when they had ballot. My opinion strikes should only be allowed if over 50% of workforce agree not over 50% of those who voted
As a matter of interest was in Germany recently and on underground they even had trains with NO driver.

The DLR has been operating driverless trains for over 15 years. For me though the issue is that I would prefer there to be a guard on the train for passenger safety reasons. In my 22 years of commuting between Hove and London I have seen a large number of situations where I was glad there was an official on board, especially to help deal with late night violent drunks. My wife and daughter often travel late on Southern trains and I would certainly prefer a guard to be available.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

DLR in london is operated like that

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You didn't offer an opinion - you stated a fact. i.e. The trouble with Caroline Lucas doing it is that No one takes her seriously!

That's clearly nonsense.

I don't take her seriously and I'm a no-one so fairly accurate imo.

I do not know of anybody other than obviously TLO/Albion Roar who pays any attention to what she says. IMHO a complete non entity as ,an MP.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The DLR has been operating driverless trains for over 15 years. For me though the issue is that I would prefer there to be a guard on the train for passenger safety reasons. In my 22 years of commuting between Hove and London I have seen a large number of situations where I was glad there was an official on board, especially to help deal with late night violent drunks. My wife and daughter often travel late on Southern trains and I would certainly prefer a guard to be available.

Southern are not planning to remove the second person from the train. The unions don't seem to believe them.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ... What about the allegation that the new franchise arrangement that sends fares revenue direct to the government, rather than to the train operator, is intended to incentivise SASTA to break the union? SASTA can lose as many passengers as it takes.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

The current industrial action has a 95.3% vote for a strike on a 76% turnout.

It also has a 99.7% vote for 'industrial action short of a strike' on a 76% turnout.

That's what the staff feel about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The current industrial action has a 95.3% vote for a strike on a 76% turnout.

It also has a 99.7% vote for 'industrial action short of a strike' on a 76% turnout.

That's what the staff feel about it.

Sounds like 24% of people were off sick at the same time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have not read either thread completely as I believe strikes should be made illegal. If the workers dont do the job they are paid for and agreed to do, simple terminate their employment .

That is the most ignorant post I have read this year on Nsc. It is a democratic right to withdraw one's labour. Managers and bosses often flout employment laws, and being part of a union has improved worker's rights over the past century or so.
Not all unions are good, and some have been bad, but it doesn't make belonging to a union or going on strike a bad thing.

Are you surprised. Doesn't he have a track record? Unfortunately, elements of the RMT are managing to make a very bad name for unions. Given that we may have 10 years of one party rule, responsible and strong unions will be very important. They'll be useless if the RMT has blown the reputation of unions to shreds.

To bensgrandad, it is a fundamental and hard earned right to withhold labour in this country. We lose it at our peril and we should only ever use it wisely.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

I do appreciate the right to strike but believe it should be (a) Voted for and agreed by over 60% of the membership not just a few militants (b) should not cause problems to the general public but their employers with whom they have a problem

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst this isn't really adding anything new to the thread but I do hope the club gets to pay less money to Southern because of all the terible service and use that money for a few more park and rides. The one they did from west Hove Sainsburys was really handy.

This is a bit of an aside but I've never seen so many bikes chained up outside the Amex as there were on Tuesday.

I do appreciate the right to strike but believe it should be (a) Voted for and agreed by over 60% of the membership not just a few militants (b) should not cause problems to the general public but their employers with whom they have a problem

Taking your first point ... this strike was voted for and agreed by 72% of the membership.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have hearing aids and cannot understand what is said over the PA whether RR's pitch side chats or the stadium announcer.
I sit in WSL and can confirm that young and old around me had no idea what was being said by the announcer on Tuesday night.

Perhaps somebody else should contact PB and let him know because in the event of an emergency it would be chaos if nobody can hear or understand the PA.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
See it was only conductors that were balloted not drivers. Surprise surprise no one likes change. In all my years of commuting during day and late night have only seen handfull of of drink related disturbances and have just moved carriage. Although conductor on train no sign of. I would prefer when we get bus back from town late at night there was a conductor. But things change

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have hearing aids and cannot understand what is said over the PA whether RR's pitch side chats or the stadium announcer.
I sit in WSL and can confirm that young and old around me had no idea what was being said by the announcer on Tuesday night.

Not the foggiest what was being said in the North Stand either, other than it was some muffled thing about the trains. Either the PA needs sorting, or it was an inexperienced announcer speaking too close into the mic or maybe a bit of both. Announcement was relatively important on the night, but what if it had been a really urgent instruction to evacuate the stadium?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Taking your first point ... this strike was voted for and agreed by 72% of the membership.

Was that total membership or as suggested by another poster a section only ie conductors not drivers so assuming that there is 1 driver 1 conductor per vehicle this % would be halved to less than 40%. I am sure I could get 70% agreement of a section of supporters who think we wont get promoted this season but it would only be a small % of total supporters.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The drivers were not balloted as they belong to ASLEF and are not bothered about opening the doors as their jobs are not under any future threat, until all trains become automatic.

Only 72% of the 300 or so local guards voted - a minuscule portion of the union membership who do not appear to have made any comment or provided support in their dispute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here