Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Average Speed Camera - Ticket

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As driving is critical to national infrastructure, these type of cameras operating even when no workers are on site are nothing but stealth taxation.

On a similar tack, the Dartford crossing cost £120m to build in 1991, it now earns over £200m a year in charges. More stealth taxation. How is this fair to low income families who use it.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
People will hate me for this but .... I have no sympathy whatsoever ... you knew the speed limit and chose to break the law so suffer the consequences.

People who moan about getting done for speeding know its the law , they may not agree with the law but it is the law , would you argue against being caught for a murder you committed knowing fully it was illegal , well same principle applies to every law including speeding. If you commit the crime do the time ( or in this case pay the fine ) unless there are mitigating circumstances.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ok hands up, I've been dicked by an average speed camera, 50mph in a 40mph zone limit.

Nobody can better [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]'s response from last time this topic was discussed on NSC...

What’s the difference between an average one and, say, a top of the range speed camera?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As driving is critical to national infrastructure, these type of cameras operating even when no workers are on site are nothing but stealth taxation.

On a similar tack, the Dartford crossing cost £120m to build in 1991, it now earns over £200m a year in charges. More stealth taxation. How is this fair to low income families who use it.

Much like the lottery they only tax the stupid.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Much like the lottery they only tax the stupid.

Essential travel isn't stupid, national infrastructure like the road network should not be treated as a revenue generator.

The Dartford crossing has paid for itself 20 times over, its time to scrap the dart crossing fee.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
What cruise control is best for....none of us can stick to some of these limits. The 50 mph on the M23 is impossible to stick to without it.
Agreed, before cruise control, spent more time looking at Speedo than road. 55 on my CC is good for a 50 average.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How many speed awareness courses will plod offer before they realise you really shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car ? just asking for my Great Grandad you see .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Essential travel isn't stupid, national infrastructure like the road network should not be treated as a revenue generator.

The Dartford crossing has paid for itself 20 times over, its time to scrap the dart crossing fee.
Ah so you've chosen to focus on one half of your original comment, that does have some justification, while I had focused on the other.

It's illegal for any speed camera to be in operation without a (possibly 2) prior warning sign.
It's also illegal for these cameras to be in operation without notification before and during, the area in question, of the required speed.
The fact that most of us, myself included, chooses to ignore all this makes us a little stupid.

Although there has to be a higher level of stupidity reserved for those who are currently 3 fines in and still asking 'how do I get out of this?'

Are you seeking attention?
If you can't see that, I guess we already know which side of the fence you're sitting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
People will hate me for this but .... I have no sympathy whatsoever ... you knew the speed limit and chose to break the law so suffer the consequences.

People who moan about getting done for speeding know its the law , they may not agree with the law but it is the law , would you argue against being caught for a murder you committed knowing fully it was illegal , well same principle applies to every law including speeding. If you commit the crime do the time ( or in this case pay the fine ) unless there are mitigating circumstances.

A tad different speeding and murder. I've accidently broken the speed limit .... sometimes due to bad signage and sometimes due to just unknowingly allowing my speed to creep up slightly. Indeed on my table right now I have a fine from the French police for speeding at Christmas that I didn't even know I'd done ( doesn't help loads of their speed limits have changed ). I suspect nobody has committed murder unknowingly.

I don't condone speeding but given how often I see 'roadworks' with speed cameras and no bugger in sight doing said 'roadworks' then it is easy to conclude that some speed cameras are used as revenue generators rather than safety devices.

If speeding is such a problem then the government should push the motorway speed limits up - they are far too low - drop the fines but double the points. But of course then they get no income !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Exactly, I don't have a problem with speeding per se, how can I have.
It's all the whining, whinging, bibbling 'how can I get out of this' that comes with it that really gets on my tits.

A tad different speeding and murder. I've accidently broken the speed limit .... sometimes due to bad signage and sometimes due to just unknowingly allowing my speed to creep up slightly. Indeed on my table right now I have a fine from the French police for speeding at Christmas that I didn't even know I'd done ( doesn't help loads of their speed limits have changed ). I suspect nobody has committed murder unknowingly.

I don't condone speeding but given how often I see 'roadworks' with speed cameras and no bugger in sight doing said 'roadworks' then it is easy to conclude that some speed cameras are used as revenue generators rather than safety devices.

If speeding is such a problem then the government should push the motorway speed limits up - they are far too low - drop the fines but double the points. But of course then they get no income !
and yet how many murders have been caused by speeding?
Oh sorry they aren't murders are they?
They are just 'driving without due care and attentioners', that way everything is so much easier for the police, legal profession, the courts and the murderer, after all the victims families' lives are already ruined why make it worse for everyone else.

Oh and a bad driver blames bad signage!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

It should but won't ever be now since the government sold it and the new owners no longer have to abide by the 'we'll scrap the charge once it's paid for' promise.

That said, the new company are very good on not going to town on people who forget to pay or there's a bit of confusion. We've bought new vans before and registered them straight away when they've been picked up and bought over the bridge but it doesn't register to your account until the next day. They always send a nice letter and give you another week to pay the £2 as long as it's your first time.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Not always. Had this argument about the signage on the M23 at Gatwick causing a real spate of accidents, the signs are appalling and without doubt cause the accidents but for a lot of people it's all very black and white.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly, I don't have a problem with speeding per se, how can I have.
It's all the whining, whinging, bibbling 'how can I get out of this' that comes with it that really gets on my tits.

and yet how many murders have been caused by speeding?
Oh sorry they aren't murders are they?
They are just 'driving without due care and attentioners',
that way everything is so much easier for the police, legal profession, the courts and the murderer, after all the victims families' lives are already ruined why make it worse for everyone else.

Being a pedant, it is causing death by dangerous driving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here