Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Chris Hughton interview today

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Agreed. Especially as arguably the worst two results we had last season (the defeats to Bournemouth and Cardiff) came after we were knocked out of the Cup and could 'concentrate on the League'!

And he said he 'didn't see it coming'. Hmm. I have a lot of sympathy, but I'm not sure if that isn't a criticism in itself.

None of us know what Bloom, Barber et al were saying to him in those last few weeks. If (hypothetically) when the times and sun both ran stories saying he was out, they told him not to worry then you can imagine him therefore feeling he didnt need to worry.

In any case he has gone and we all have to hope/believe that Potter will be a success. This is perhaps the present day Mike Bailey moment

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
TB, due to results, has only got rid of two managers, Slade and Hughton (who was here for four and half years!). Poyet sacked for gross misconduct and Hyypia and Garcia both resigned. We have hardly got a reputation for firing and hiring.
I know we haven't. That's why I said we were pleased that we hadn't got such a reputation, unlike other clubs.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Haven't read the thread so expect this point has been raised already, but that interview makes me even more sure we made the right call. You can almost feel the negativity and lack of ideas seeping out of the page.

Lovely guy, did a cracking job for us, but we had to take the gamble and move on to progress, because we were only going one way otherwise. Right move for both parties.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't really know why you felt the need in the first place.

...and another thing.
Bold, you sound like my wife when she wants to have the last word in a discussion that we haven't seen eye to eye on; but then again, I recall you and I have a bit of history on some matters!
Chill Sunshine, and don't be so earnest!:smile::lolol:

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
None of us know what Bloom, Barber et al were saying to him in those last few weeks. If (hypothetically) when the times and sun both ran stories saying he was out, they told him not to worry then you can imagine him therefore feeling he didnt need to worry.

In any case he has gone and we all have to hope/believe that Potter will be a success. This is perhaps the present day Mike Bailey moment

Yeah, I'm not arguing (there's more than enough of that on this thread); there are so many ifs buts and maybes.. And as we all know his sacking was a bit of a strange event, as even amongst those who actively wanted him gone (and I wasn't one) there was none of that sense of euphoria you often get with sackings with people saying "Woo hoo! Finally he's gone!" Even his fiercest critics on here admitted to feelings of sadness.

Still, both us and CH are where we are. It's done now. And yeah, the Mike Bailey analogy is a good one.

(Sadly we both know this will run and run. No matter how we perform under Potter next season people will say "It would have been better/worse if CH was still here!")

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...and another thing.
Bold, you sound like my wife when she wants to have the last word in a discussion that we haven't seen eye to eye on; but then again, I recall you and I have a bit of history on some matters!
Chill, Sunshine!:smile::lolol:

I honestly don't recall, and your wife has my sympathies. :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Haven't read the thread so expect this point has been raised already, but that interview makes me even more sure we made the right call. You can almost feel the negativity and lack of ideas seeping out of the page.

Lovely guy, did a cracking job for us, but we had to take the gamble and move on to progress, because we were only going one way otherwise. Right move for both parties.

Agreed.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Seriously that is nonsense. If I say you don't know what was said at a meeting at which you were not present, I am not saying I do know what was said at the meeting. But that doesn't therefore mean that you do know. Think about it. Just because neither you nor I know what was said at a meeting does not mean that when you say you know and I say you don't that we are both talking bollocks. No, only you are talking bollocks. But, yes, L Ron Hubbard.....I made a big mistake expecting reason and fairmindedness here, didn't I :facepalm:

Please explain. That diatribe makes little sense.

DO NOT defame L.Ron. He was a great person. It would be like me saying Christ rising from the dead is nonsense. How could any human do that. Who is more ridiculous? Me for believing L.Ron was a great thinker or you for believing a human, Jesus Christ, came to life from the dead? Think about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

DO NOT defame L.Ron. He was a great person. It would be like me saying Christ rising from the dead is nonsense. How could any human do that. Who is more ridiculous? Me for believing L.Ron was a great thinker or you for believing a human, Jesus Christ, came to life from the dead? Think about it.

You think I'm a Christian? Think again.

Read what you wrote, and my replies again. If you still don't get it I'm afraid you never will.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Or, like me, believing both are garbage.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"He set the team up, he says, in the best way to achieve a result while always believing that he could win every match."

I don't believe that to be the case at all. Not for a second. Time after time, what I saw was a team set up not to go out to win, but primarily one that was set up to avoid defeat. Which is understandable and excusable when you're away at Spurs or Liverpool, but absolutely unacceptable when you are at home to Southampton or Newcastle.

He may not have meant to, but unfortunately, he ended up coaching fear into us. Not helped of course by his incessant talking up of the opposition.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Ooooookay......

[steps carefully through an ajar side door.]

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
"He set the team up, he says, in the best way to achieve a result while always believing that he could win every match."

I don't believe that to be the case at all. Not for a second. Time after time, what I saw was a team set up not to go out to win, but primarily one that was set up to avoid defeat. Which is understandable and excusable when you're away at Spurs or Liverpool, but absolutely unacceptable when you are at home to Southampton or Newcastle.

He may not have meant to, but unfortunately, he ended up coaching fear into us. Not helped of course by his incessant talking up of the opposition.

This. With great big knobs on! :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Facepalm? For what?

Pointing out why Hughton was fired pretty rapidly? You did not respond other than with a childish facepalm.

My comments were totally in context. You referred to what exactly failure was-I pointed out that there were many.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Completely agree - except that is not what he did.
He played 442 against Newcastle in attempt to win the game - it was the most attacking formation we had started for ages!
Southampton was a shocking performance (probably due to the upcoming cup game as every single player was playing like they didn't want to get injured)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Completely agree - except that is not what he did.
He played 442 against Newcastle in attempt to win the game - it was the most attacking formation we had started for ages!
Southampton was a shocking performance (probably due to the upcoming cup game as every single player was playing like they didn't want to get injured)

4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2, these are just numbers. It doesn't matter what shape the team lines up in at kickoff when the instruction to the individual is to proceed with caution, when wide players don't get forward and support quickly enough, when Murray is left isolated, when Stephens and Propper look up and the only viable option is to lay off sideways or backwards. We just STUNK against Newcastle, and I don't believe the following weeks Cup game had anything to do with it. We stunk the place out in most our home games.

Ironically one of the few positive starts to a game I saw was at home to Cardiff. It turned into a complete debacle of course, but the opening 15 minutes we were on the front foot, being positive and penning them back. Then they broke and took the lead, and we completely fell to pieces for the rest of the game, as our confidence was shot to bits.

All too often we played like the away team at home, trying to "feel" our way into games. We made it very, very easy and comfortable for the opposition to take points off us, because we were too scared to commit to going for a win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here