Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter and the ‘Together’ ethos

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm feeling moist and erect at the same time.

Standing up in the shower does that for me... :lolol:

I reserve all judgement about GP, and every single player, until we're 10-12 games into the season. Pointless hanging on his every soundbite.

What I do know is that some of the 'flops' could get a new lease of life under Potter, and some of the ever-presents could play like donkeys. Different manager, different style, same players - different results.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I got the impression a ‘clique’ within the squad started to form last season. Eliminating that and bringing the squad back together will be a great first step towards further improvement, that’s before we talk about new signings and tactics on the pitch.

This.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Impressed. Seems a clear no nonsense sort of communicator. The stuff he is saying resonates for sure. Can't see him being the sort to endlessly blow smoke out the oppositions behind.

I’m not sure why everyone seemed to fixate on what Hughton said about opposing teams last season, all the “these are a good team” “and our level” jibes are wearing a bit thin.

I am not sure I can recall hearing any manager, pre match, saying that the opponents are shit - what matters and always has, is what the manager says to the players, behind closed doors.

None of us know what that was!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I got the impression a ‘clique’ within the squad started to form last season. Eliminating that and bringing the squad back together will be a great first step towards further improvement, that’s before we talk about new signings and tactics on the pitch.

Making the players "engage in community activities, such as performing in theatre and music productions designed to take them out of their comfort zone" should be interesting then (although maybe Locadia will love it!) Will Dunk and Duffy baulk at the idea of playing the ugly sisters in the Albion's 2019 Christmas pantomime and demand transfers? Will Stephens refuse to sing? Just where is Knocky's breaking point, and what will make Andone just lose it?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Making the players "engage in community activities, such as performing in theatre and music productions designed to take them out of their comfort zone" should be interesting then (although maybe Locadia will love it!) Will Dunk and Duffy baulk at the idea of playing the ugly sisters in the Albion's 2019 Christmas pantomime and demand transfers? Will Stephens refuse to sing? Just where is Knocky's breaking point, and what will make Andone just lose it?
Will they ask AJ to come out of his comfort zone by going past someone or passing to a team member.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

He won't be doing all that at a Premier League club... I'm sure he'll make a thing of 'Albion in the Community' though and will make this his 'thing' with players doing wacky stuff. All on stage doing a play will be a step too far for the 'PL egos' though.. which is fair enough.

The thing we forget about though is this is a learning curve for Potter, too.. He's never managed in the Premier League, so he's feeling his way in the dark!! Don't think of him as the rounded manager who has 20 years of managing at the top level.. think of it as you or I being promoted at work, or buying out a new and bigger business than our own and taking the reins, and thinking "yeah, I can do this... but wtf.. I know what I'm doing, but this is proper next level shit.... :eek: ?!!!"

Same for Mr Potter, but he has the floodlights trained on his bonce! He's human. He's still learning. He will make mistakes.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's all a bit of an unknown.

However I'm excited for the coming season to see which current and new players make their mark. Much as I loved him I think CH took us as far as he could and everything seemed to be a repeat.

Fascinating comment. I recall a Norwich fan on here saying that over that PL season under CH, when they were relegated, he saw not 38 games, but the same match repeated 38 times . .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He won't be doing all that at a Premier League club...

I'm impressed that somebody on NSC knows what Mr. Potter is or is not going to do. I wonder if he knows what he's going to do yet, especially if he's been told he's got the job on the strength of what he's done in the past, but that he's not allowed to do it any more!

Personally I expect he'll make his own mind up.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm impressed that somebody on NSC knows what Mr. Potter is or is not going to do. I wonder if he knows what he's going to do yet....

So you think he'll be shuffling a Premier League team on stage to perform a play in front of a small, local crowd? Really?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The best ‘we’ and ‘us’ is when it’s used by pro golfers. I always think, really? Sure they have their caddies, coaches etc but, at the end of the day, it is a very individualistic sport.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you think he'll be shuffling a Premier League team on stage to perform a play in front of a small, local crowd? Really?
I've no idea. I'm just not stupid enough to claim it definitely won't (or will) happen. I don't suppose the Ostersund players were expecting it either!

But it happened; and they beat Arsenal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m not sure why everyone seemed to fixate on what Hughton said about opposing teams last season, all the “these are a good team” “and our level” jibes are wearing a bit thin.

I am not sure I can recall hearing any manager, pre match, saying that the opponents are shit - what matters and always has, is what the manager says to the players, behind closed doors.

None of us know what that was!

Quite...give it time and whatever Potter pre/post match says will be scrutinised and dissected..then moaned about

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've no idea. I'm just not stupid enough to claim it definitely won't (or will) happen. I don't suppose the Ostersund players were expecting it either!

But it happened; and they beat Arsenal.

I absolutely do not think it will happen.. and I am not stupid., but thanks for the assumption. :thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I noticed this as well - CH very rarely, if ever did from memory - he was more 'this club' etc. D

Ive boringly gone through a dozen or so random interviews with CH . Guess what ? He says “we” all the time. I mean honestly

Sigh.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Impressed. Seems a clear no nonsense sort of communicator. The stuff he is saying resonates for sure. Can't see him being the sort to endlessly blow smoke out the oppositions behind.

Like this really matters - always one of the wierdest sticks with which to beat CH - but here’s Potter saying “it’s always a difficult game “ and talking up QPR before their game earlier this season
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...s/everything-potter-said-swansea-qpr-16112165

they lost.

He talked like this before playing everyone last season. Every manager does.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have had Hyppia who was just plain boring to listen to and CH who said the same thing in every pre match interview, which also made it mostly boring. Before that we had Gus who touted himself at most of them :smile:

Maybe Potter will talk more about us than bigging up the opposition and make pre match press conferences interesting again. In fairness to Gus he was always worth a listen even if he pissed me off with what he said

What actually matters is how we perform though so I guess it’s all just bollocks anyway.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We have had Hyppia who was just plain boring to listen to and CH who said the same thing in every pre match interview, which also made it mostly boring. Before that we had Gus who touted himself at most of them :smile:

Maybe Potter will talk more about us than bigging up the opposition and make pre match press conferences interesting again. In fairness to Gus he was always worth a listen even if he pissed me off with what he said

What actually matters is how we perform though so I guess it’s all just bollocks anyway.

"'ees com'licated"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here