Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abuse in Football: How Brighton are tackling fan behaviour [BBC Sport]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It was THREE pissed-up wankers out of a crowd of THIRTY THOUSAND.

Ok fair enough. Thats clear. You don't think that violence directed against Albion staff or racist/homophobic chanting is a problem.
And talking about it, or banning fans for it is "ridiculous posturing".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I repeat, for the hard of thinking (or somebody on a club retainer) that it was THREE pissed-up wankers out of a crowd of THIRTY THOUSAND. Oh, and I repeat the ridiculous posturing thing also.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Very well said sir :clap2:

Be interesting to see how long PB sticks around in the event of an Albion relegation. His ridiculous showboating on this pretty much non-issue smacks of him positioning himself for his next career move.

Might be wrong tho, eh?

This thread has wandered off topic with moans about flasks and bottle tops.

The abuse in the original article refers to three Brighton fans attacking and threatening staff, Burnley fans in court for homophobic abuse, Chelsea fans arrested for racial abuse, and ten arrests from the Palace game in December. I don't think it is showboating although I don't agree with the tone of the missive.

Of course, we know there are more arrests at a music festival or Pride or whatever, but he is trying to say, it is safe to go to a match as a family.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Won't be long now before the next masterpiece on fans behavior is finished

tar_brush.jpg

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As my much missed late father oft said:

"It's not what you say, it's how you say it"

Barber generally "says it" in a way that pisses fans off.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Considering the content is Barber taking responsibility to make sure people understand that thuggish and threatening language and behaviour is unacceptable at our football club, I find it vaguely amusing that people take offence to his perceived tone.

The simple fact is, in the last few years there has been a return to a thoroughly nasty element wherein a vocal minority of people are more than happy being openly racist, homophobic, xenophobic etc with no expectation of consequence. Highlighting that the club won't tolerate it seems eminently sensible when as a general rule people seems in no rush to take responsibility for themselves.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I am talking about the three fans banned by the Albion that sparked the Barber statement on the BBC. I have not seen anything in the Argus since the original story.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Nor have I.
I find that a little strange, that two fans have been named and shamed, charged for racist comment at the Burnley game, but nothing further seems to have happened to the two fans found guilty by the club for assault. There appears nothing has been published about charges against these people some 4 weeks later. Is there a time limit to these people being charged for the assault or have the club not involved the police?

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Considering the content is Barber taking responsibility to make sure people understand that thuggish and threatening language and behaviour is unacceptable at our football club, I find it vaguely amusing that people take offence to his perceived tone.

The simple fact is, in the last few years there has been a return to a thoroughly nasty element wherein a vocal minority of people are more than happy being openly racist, homophobic, xenophobic etc with no expectation of consequence. Highlighting that the club won't tolerate it seems eminently sensible when as a general rule people seems in no rush to take responsibility for themselves.

Excuse me, you do realise this is NSC, don’t you. You know we don’t do well reasoned sensible replies, don’t you?

The simple fact is some people just love to be outraged by something, makes their day seem worthwhile!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I find that a little strange, that two fans have been named and shamed, charged for racist comment at the Burnley game, but nothing further seems to have happened to the two fans found guilty by the club for assault. There appears nothing has been published about charges against these people some 4 weeks later. Is there a time limit to these people being charged for the assault or have the club not involved the police?

The evidence has been handed to the police for their, or the CPS, for charging decisions.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here