Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which ex-England star(s) are jealous of the current England group's success?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ok. The team that started today’s game was not our strongest and was more like a side you’d see for a friendly. This was a competitive match and so you should put out the strongest line up.

A previous post was that Southgate was doing an excellent job. My view is that he isn’t as good as some people think.

He should be getting results as the squad he has now is the strongest for at least a generation. We shouldn’t have to come back from one down against a Croatian team who were knackered from the game on a Thursday.

Getting to the semis was great, however in context of how crap everyone else was just how good a result was it ?

He is however a breath of fresh air compared to the last four or five England managers.

That the squad is the strongest in a generation is debatable.

Which players would you have started with today? Most of the 11 were obvious starters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite a bit in the press today from Wayne Rooney about how some ex-England players are jealous of the current crop.

“I know there are some ex-players who I’ve spoken to who can’t come to terms with England doing well,” Rooney said. “That is wrong. I’m not like that. I’m a fan now. I want England to do well. I am proud to have played for England so many times and I always have been. I’ve had my time. I am happy with what I’ve contributed to the national team and I look forward now to the next few years and watching this team progress.”

Who do you think they are?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gue-gareth-southgate-ex-players-a8639626.html

This thread is USELESS without a poll.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
he accepted the consquences of his actions like a man though.
the other end of the scale from the nob that is jt, you mug

Then bragged about it in his autobiograpy. He walked off before the red 'like a man' but he was smirking. The absolute animal.

One minute I'm disagreeing with [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION], the next minute I'm agreeing with him. I'm so confused!!! :mad::lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That the squad is the strongest in a generation is debatable.

Which players would you have started with today? Most of the 11 were obvious starters.

alli for Barcley, Trent Alexander-Arnold for a Walker and Lingard for Delph.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
he accepted the consquences of his actions like a man though.
the other end of the scale from the nob that is jt, you mug

accepted the consequences of his actions ?? how ?? by moutbing off from the safety of his book , bit like you on here :thumbsup:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Then bragged about it in his autobiograpy. He walked off before the red 'like a man' but he was smirking. The absolute animal.

One minute I'm disagreeing with [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION], the next minute I'm agreeing with him. I'm so confused!!! :mad::lolol:

:lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
accepted the consequences of his actions ?? how ?? by moutbing off from the safety of his book , bit like you on here :thumbsup:

refresh my memory, wot did jt do to get banned from the final?
you live in a self-fabricated dream world :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
alli for Barcley, Trent Alexander-Arnold for a Walker and Lingard for Delph.

It's totally understandable why Gareth went with the 3 he did. Barkley is playing well for Chelsea, Delph offers more defensively than Lingard, and Walker is a starter for the best team in the league.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Quite a bit in the press today from Wayne Rooney about how some ex-England players are jealous of the current crop.

“I know there are some ex-players who I’ve spoken to who can’t come to terms with England doing well,” Rooney said. “That is wrong. I’m not like that. I’m a fan now. I want England to do well. I am proud to have played for England so many times and I always have been. I’ve had my time. I am happy with what I’ve contributed to the national team and I look forward now to the next few years and watching this team progress.”

Who do you think they are?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...gue-gareth-southgate-ex-players-a8639626.html

Beckham, cos he thinks it cost him his knighthood.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I wouldn't read too much into what Rooney thinks, he isn't the sharpest tool in the box
Very few of his generation were likeable characters but I doubt many of them are jealous
Jealous of what anyway, we haven't done sweet fa
Only winning counts in football and only France can come up smelling of roses recently

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's totally understandable why Gareth went with the 3 he did. Barkley is playing well for Chelsea, Delph offers more defensively than Lingard, and Walker is a starter for the best team in the league.

Sorry but Alli over Barkley any day of the week, understand regards Walker. I like Delph but would want Lingard. My view is that Alli and Lingard offer a much more cohesive unit. The other issue I have is that we threaten when we go forward, these two bring the flair. The period before they came on we appeared devoid of any ideas.

The one point to take from this is that we have a great depth in the squad. My one concern (actually two) is the role that Henderson and Dier fill. I’m not convinced with either of them tbh.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
JT
Stevie G

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wouldn't read too much into what Rooney thinks, he isn't the sharpest tool in the box
Very few of his generation were likeable characters but I doubt many of them are jealous
Jealous of what anyway, we haven't done sweet fa
Only winning counts in football and only France can come up smelling of roses recently

The current squad seem to love him. And despite no GCSEs he seems like a shrewd lad, and humble with it. :shrug:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don’t think it was for the want of effort or love for their country. But a combination of awful FA/manager management (either remote camps and not allowed to see WAGS with Capello, or freedom to see WAGS in a free environment with Sven), plus all the players tensing up on England duties. The world on their shoulders. Separately, McLaren was a joke to get the job.

The difference now is simply that Southgate is a class act in this representative football role and the FA have finally after decades of incompetence cut out their crap.

Some of that golden generation, Terry especially wanted to make it all about him.

If they had the attitude of the current lot they may have won something.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Listening to Gary Neville on the Quickly Kevin pod last week, I would say every England player since Euro 96. It just sounded like a really misrrable exprerience. Too much pressure and expectation, club rivalries, shite managers and set up generally.

Southgate seems to have the environment right and these boys have totally embraced the experience, you can see they’re loving it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Listening to Gary Neville on the Quickly Kevin pod last week, I would say every England player since Euro 96. It just sounded like a really misrrable exprerience. Too much pressure and expectation, club rivalries, shite managers and set up generally.

Southgate seems to have the environment right and these boys have totally embraced the experience, you can see they’re loving it.

Not just Southgate. By all accounts the FA finally got its act together. Loads of praise, even before the WC matches, of the base in Russia - location, media access, players treated like grown ups, fun activities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here