Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Gym etiquette

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The only thing that pisses me off is people not putting weighs back and walking mud into the gym area.

People on phones used to piss me off, but now that people use their phones for music its not such a peeve.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly this. As an ectomorph, I often need to wait a couple of minutes between sets, especially on compound movements
I've never hear that the time you wait between reps is affected by your body type. Surely the amount of rest you need between sets is down to how close the weight is to you one rep max, and how many reps you're doing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Former divisional CEO at the bank I used to work at did this (nuts)...........at least had the decency to stick the hair dryer under a towel around his waist though. :lol::lol:

You should have offered to do it for him - promotion or retribution time !!

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Men who shave in the changing room.

There are 2 blokes who regularly shave at the gym I go to, one shaves his face, the other his whole head!

Why not just shave at Home?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
there's one chap (with his PT in tow) who screams out a load monkey 'oo' after every rep, even when he's not on his heaviest set. It's ****ing annoying
He was back again today. This time he walked into a busy room, and since he was just doing some modest shoulder presses (and there were lots of people going about their work), I thought we might be spared. We weren't. When he finished his set, another trainer (who was doing his own work out) joked to him 'wow you've got all the noises going today'. Yeah it came across as friendly banter, but I trust the underlying message was STFU you tw@.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When the staff "don't have any weights that go higher". It's embarrassing for them and means I can't REALLY let loose on the gun show.

When people CONTINUOUSLY interrupt my routine to ask me how I'm so strong

When the shower cubicles aren't wide enough for my shoulders to fit in

21 year old slim, pretty females, constantly badgering you for personal training, when you’re only there as a punter. Tiresome for you.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
21 year old slim, pretty females, constantly badgering you for personal training, when you’re only there as a punter. Tiresome for you.

And why do they have to wear those tight grey leggings and make a point of stretching on the mat next to you?

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Guy in my local gym swears like a sailor when he can't lift what he's set up. Normally it would drive me crazy but this guy is lifting some pretty big weight and he's not aggressive with anyone but himself.

What does drive me crazy is people who have long cell phone conversations using speaker phone.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I found God 5 years ago.

It was a quiet afternoon in Corals gym. I was on a bike and Mr and Mrs Perfect walked in. You know the type, pert chest, tight rear, beautiful long blonde hair and she was even better looking.

10 minutes later a big thud emanated from behind me. Mr Perfect had actually fallen off the treadmill and was in a heap. Mrs Perfect was not impressed.

#IBelieve.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I found God 5 years ago.

It was a quiet afternoon in Corals gym. I was on a bike and Mr and Mrs Perfect walked in. You know the type, pert chest, tight rear, beautiful long blonde hair and she was even better looking.

10 minutes later a big thud emanated from behind me. Mr Perfect had actually fallen off the treadmill and was in a heap. Mrs Perfect was not impressed.

#IBelieve.

Did you accidentally kick the plug?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Bouncers seem capable of pretty much committing every sin in this thread.

Always marvelled at blokes who had disproportionately bulked up their top half at the expense of the bottom.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Young ladies who insist on benching with an Olympic bar, get all the large plates removed and put 2.5kg on each end, when there are preset barbells in the rack that they can use.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I've never hear that the time you wait between reps is affected by your body type. Surely the amount of rest you need between sets is down to how close the weight is to you one rep max, and how many reps you're doing.

It depends on the type of training you're doing ultimately, but the general consensus is that a 45 second to 2 minute break between sets is about right in order to maximise strength/muscle endurance for endos and mesos, but also to allow the heart rate to recover accordingly. But ectomorphs are the least physically suited to heavy weight training so it tends to be at the higher end of this in terms of the break required between sets; some even recommend between 3-5 minutes for ectomorphs between sets when tackling heavy weights. Obviously those wanting the equipment will never think about this though, which is why I'm always willing to share equipment.

To caveat this, I often go by my heart rate rather than by time in between sets, even when heavy lifting; I tend to wait until I'm down to 100 beats a minute or less, which is usually within the 2 minute limit as I'm quite fit and I've been training for a few years now. But I've trained with a few ectos who literally need 3-4 minutes between sets to be able to continue at the same level, particularly those who are new to weight training. And for me personally, if I have a bad day at the gym (for whatever reason) then I can require that longer time between heavy sets.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here