Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Let's hope one of the members of Southern staff on here don't take offence at your idea of pushing them onto the conductor rail then , if they do then you may have to answer to it

In what manner would he have to answer to it?

Presumably something along the lines of 'it was clearly tongue in cheek, don't be so bloody ridiculous'?

Personally, of the two forces at play I'm behind the union (just), but some of the preachy posts on here really make me question that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Their wages are covered by union funds so they won't be losing out as long as they support the strike

Wait, so striking staff are being paid by the union when they are on strike ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Isn't that usually the case with strikes ?

I'm not sure they necessarily get full pay.

Not sure. Interesting as I did have a guard having a discussion with a passenger saying do you think I'd be giving up my wages if we didn't feel strongly about this!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
GTR deliberately preventing trains stopping at specific stations to force though Driver Only Operation
RAIL UNION RMT has been alerted to the fact that GTR Southern is deliberately preventing trains from stopping at specific stations to force though Driver Only Operation.

The union says that the revelations expose the fact that the company is hell-bent on DOO, despite their public bluster, and that they are determined to have 1600 trains a day running without a Guard by January regardless of the impact on access and safety.

The union was contacted by disappointed passengers to say that those expecting to travel to Redhill, on last Saturday night’s (8 October) Victoria to Portsmouth and Southampton services, were told to leave the train as it would not be stopping at their destination. The reason given was that no platform staff were available to dispatch the train.

Passengers were left bemused and angry as there were Guards travelling on those trains who dispatch the trains at other stations on the same route.

The train dispatch at Redhill would have previously been performed by the Guard but they had been recently stripped of these duties by GTR.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“GTR has yet again shown blatant disregard for the travelling public in its drive to get rid of the Guard and continues to create misery for anyone unfortunate enough to have to use its trains.

“What is even more shocking in this instance is that there physically were Guards working on those trains but they had been ordered by GTR bosses to not get involved in any train dispatch duties in the Redhill area.

“This whole incident exposes why Southern have refused every reasonable attempt by the union to resolve this dispute. They are not interested and despite all their bluster it shows that their core objective is wholesale Driver Only Operation with 1600 trains a day running without a Guard by the new year."

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
GTR deliberately preventing trains stopping at specific stations to force though Driver Only Operation
RAIL UNION RMT has been alerted to the fact that GTR Southern is deliberately preventing trains from stopping at specific stations to force though Driver Only Operation.

The union says that the revelations expose the fact that the company is hell-bent on DOO, despite their public bluster, and that they are determined to have 1600 trains a day running without a Guard by January regardless of the impact on access and safety.

The union was contacted by disappointed passengers to say that those expecting to travel to Redhill, on last Saturday night’s (8 October) Victoria to Portsmouth and Southampton services, were told to leave the train as it would not be stopping at their destination. The reason given was that no platform staff were available to dispatch the train.

Passengers were left bemused and angry as there were Guards travelling on those trains who dispatch the trains at other stations on the same route.

The train dispatch at Redhill would have previously been performed by the Guard but they had been recently stripped of these duties by GTR.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“GTR has yet again shown blatant disregard for the travelling public in its drive to get rid of the Guard and continues to create misery for anyone unfortunate enough to have to use its trains.

“What is even more shocking in this instance is that there physically were Guards working on those trains but they had been ordered by GTR bosses to not get involved in any train dispatch duties in the Redhill area.

“This whole incident exposes why Southern have refused every reasonable attempt by the union to resolve this dispute. They are not interested and despite all their bluster it shows that their core objective is wholesale Driver Only Operation with 1600 trains a day running without a Guard by the new year."

so what are the RMT going to do about it? the strikes are about as affective as saying another mass

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
so what are the RMT going to do about it? the strikes are about as affective as saying another mass

Who knows. No one has yet really been able to come up with any other credible alternative effective way of protesting but the strikes are having more of an effect than you may think. It may well be that we hear some news from Aslef soon but they are treading very very carefully.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Who knows. No one has yet really been able to come up with any other credible alternative effective way of protesting but the strikes are having more of an effect than you may think. It may well be that we hear some news from Aslef soon but they are treading very very carefully.

Would you have been happy with your Union Leader if he pissed up £2,000 payment you could have had

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
we've gone here before. you're a driver, so may well hear more view and hear positive ones. im my admitedly smaller one, people dont support the union. maybe im wrong and THPP is right and there is wide spread public support, but there is no evidence for it.

There isn't both parties are an utter disgrace.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Let's hope one of the members of Southern staff on here don't take offence at your idea of pushing them onto the conductor rail then , if they do then you may have to answer to it

For goodness sake , grow up. You are well aware that no real threat is intended or remotely imminent. For someone who can be so abusive and aggressive, you are very touchy, when it suits.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The RMT are an absolute disgrace, trying to justify their existence. Get on with it, accept change, get into the 21st century and get the trains running again! ITS NOT DIFFICULT!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
For goodness sake , grow up. You are well aware that no real threat is intended or remotely imminent. For someone who can be so abusive and aggressive, you are very touchy, when it suits.

You will go on the LIST

1 - [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION]
2 - [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION]
3 - [MENTION=28630]Hastings gull[/MENTION]

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Be quiet, try and justify your existence first , it is the 21st century not the 19th you FOOL

I don't need to...What I do need to do is get a train...You have answered the problem yourself...It isn't the 19th century anymore..Get back to work or leave...Simples!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here