Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Let's see Hughton keeps a team without the talent needed in the Premier League by doing what it takes. Gets called dodgy for his tactics. Seems surprised when he is sacked. The good man did his job. When Potter takes the Albion back to the championship you will all see it more clearly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let's see Hughton keeps a team without the talent needed in the Premier League by doing what it takes. Gets called dodgy for his tactics. Seems surprised when he is sacked. The good man did his job. When Potter takes the Albion back to the championship you will all see it more clearly.

There is obviously a very real chance of relegation next season but after the last few months of the season just gone, I doubt it will any less enjoyable. I think I might stay upbeat until I see us stinking the division out again, whilst hoping we don’t and I certainly won’t be stressing all close season about it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Are you kind of hoping for a failure of a season so you can swoop in with an, "I told you so"?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

If it’s trying to play more positive instead of that boring shite that was dished up since Xmas then I’ll take it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think this is the key point. There will be those that will say if Potter and the team go down, it somehow proves it was a bad decision. I'm not sure I would agree even with that. Leaving things the way they were, I would say relegation was a near-certainty anyway, and it would have been suffered in a more miserable fashion than we can now expect. I strongly suspect these were the kinds of things TB was weighing up before he made such a big call. On the flip side, if we stay up and play some better stuff, it was definitely the right decision.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Tellingly for me - I can’t find the direct quote but I think it was after the Arsenal game - he gave a very clear indication that he expected next season to be ‘more of the same’....I recall it sounded very negative. Almost a kind of ‘we know our place, we’re bottom feeders and always going to be’ resignation to being in a relegation battle and needing to play bus-parking football.

Maybe that was his problem - telling the truth and not bullsh*tting people.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Are you kind of hoping for a failure of a season so you can swoop in with an, "I told you so"?

I honestly liked the approach of CH. He did what was necessary and gets called dodgy for his tactics. Chris did what he had to do. I certainly haven't invested my time and money in this side to have it start falling to lower divisions. I truly bleed Albion. I have not traveled to as many Amex & away games since traveling to America so much. I actually hope to get transferred to Chicago some day. Hopefully with a big salary increase.

My real ultimate life fulfilling goal is to post the number 500,000 on the Count to 500,000 thread.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

He didn't keep us in the division.

Palace did.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Tellingly for me - I can’t find the direct quote but I think it was after the Arsenal game - he gave a very clear indication that he expected next season to be ‘more of the same’....I recall it sounded very negative. Almost a kind of ‘we know our place, we’re bottom feeders and always going to be’ resignation to being in a relegation battle and needing to play bus-parking football.

Looking at our xg for both 2017/18 and 18/19, the figures are almost identical, despite significant investment in attacking players between seasons.

Knowing that Tony places great faith in stats analysis, this would have counted heavily against Chris.

Also our xpts for 18/19 were worse than Cardiffs, suggesting that we would have been relegated if Cardiff had managed to recruit a better striker. Sad but true.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe that was his problem - telling the truth and not bullsh*tting people.

Could be....or that he was the problem, and it was the attitude and tactics that forced us to play that way. I guess that’s what TB concluded hence his decision.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Palace did.

It wasn't one game that kept us in the Premier League. In reality isn't it sustained presence in the same level that allows a side to improve enough to be competitive with the strongest teams in the division?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Palace did.

On this logic, Pep Guardiola deserves no credit for winning the league with Man City, cos it was merely because Brighton couldn’t keep hold of a 1-0 lead in the final game of the season.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
On this logic, Pep Guardiola deserves no credit for winning the league with Man City, cos it was merely because Brighton couldn’t keep hold of a 1-0 lead in the final game of the season.

If Palace had lost to Cardiff, we'd be preparing for Championship football. You can't say CH "kept us up" if the results he achieved meant relegation if not for another result completely out of his hands.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If Palace had lost to Cardiff, we'd be preparing for Championship football. You can't say CH "kept us up" if the results he achieved meant relegation if not for another result completely out of his hands.

And Man City wouldn't have won the PL if Brighton beat them on the last day of the season - league positions are determined by results - the results Brighton got and the results of the other 19 teams as well. Chris Hughton was the manager of Brighton and Brighton are playing in the PL next season - claiming Hughton didn't keep Brighton is the same as claiming Guardiola didn't win the title.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And Man City wouldn't have won the PL if Brighton beat them on the last day of the season - league positions are determined by results - the results Brighton got and the results of the other 19 teams as well. Chris Hughton was the manager of Brighton and Brighton are playing in the PL next season - claiming Hughton didn't keep Brighton is the same as claiming Guardiola didn't win the title.

Not really. Man City went out and won the games they needed to win to get the title. Brighton blew chance after chance to get themselves out of trouble and had to rely on Cardiff being worse and ultimately losing to Fulham and Palace.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here