Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's players

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I think the most likely to have their place in the squad placed in jeopardy are Kayal Knockaert and obviously Murray to be on the bench. I hope that Locadia, Jahakanbahsh and Andone up their games and that our midfield is based on Stephens, Bissouma, Propper Gross and March.

Why AK?
We cannot go into next season with a first choice midfield of this seasons first choice midfield.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
......blah blah blah......

I don't think that there'll be a wholesale change of players, more an attitude of "Here's the players we've spent money on, .....drone, drone

Oh well, it looks like away days to play the Massive again, then.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If he did it repeatedly, do you think Hughton might have asked him to do so? We just don't know as much about our players and what they can and cannot do as we might think we do, all we know is how they played under instruction from Hughton.

Formation wise they did, but you play on instinct based on what is in front of you. So, no, I don’t agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I wonder if Towell & Hemed will get chance over pre-season to impress GP, or will be released at end of contract?

Do we think Groß will suit GP’s tactics and style of play?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I wonder if Towell & Hemed will get chance over pre-season to impress GP, or will be released at end of contract?

Do we think Groß will suit GP’s tactics and style of play?

Still think Gross is painfully slow. Needs energetic players around him to make up for his shortcomings

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Still think Gross is painfully slow. Needs energetic players around him to make up for his shortcomings

Struggle to see how he fits in to an energetic, pressing, dynamic team personally. He was marvellous in his first season but I think he might not feature hugely under Potter.
We need to inject pace into this team, and at the moment i'm wondering how we do that without wholesale changes....

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I think the most likely to have their place in the squad placed in jeopardy are Kayal Knockaert and obviously Murray to be on the bench. I hope that Locadia, Jahakanbahsh and Andone up their games and that our midfield is based on Stephens, Bissouma, Propper Gross and March.

no knockaert?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Gross is such a skilled footballer with a wonderful first touch. Pace needs purpose too. When Gross is further up the pitch and in the hole he can get the whole team up the pitch. And he scored goals. If Potter has anything about him he’ll use a gifted (but slowish) footballer in the right way

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
AJ is such a skilled footballer with a wonderful first touch. Pace needs purpose too. When AJ is further up the pitch he can get the whole team up the pitch. And he scored goals. If Potter has anything about him he’ll use a gifted (but slowish) footballer in the right way

Edited - still struggling to see where we're going to add pace.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Formation wise they did, but you play on instinct based on what is in front of you. So, no, I don’t agree.

I can recall a moment in one of our early games in the first season up, Stephens had the ball at his feet and space in front to run into, as we saw him do frequently in the previous season in the Championship, and I saw his face as he stopped himself and passed the ball square to the left wing. It clearly was not his instinct, and he played to the system he had been instructed to play. The positions players take up on the pitch, are usually due to the managers idea of what shape the team should have. One or two may be given greater licence in the final third of the pitch, Montoya is unlikely to be roaming into areas of the pitch Hughton didn't want him in, not consistently, in my opinion.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Skipped most the thread but the drinking culture at the club needs curbing as soon as possible, one player in particular can’t seem to stay out of the boozer and no I’m not going to name names but it’s out of control and unacceptable at this level. These are good pros we go up against and at our levels we need to do better!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can recall a moment in one of our early games in the first season up, Stephens had the ball at his feet and space in front to run into, as we saw him do frequently in the previous season in the Championship, and I saw his face as he stopped himself and passed the ball square to the left wing. It clearly was not his instinct, and he played to the system he had been instructed to play. The positions players take up on the pitch, are usually due to the managers idea of what shape the team should have. One or two may be given greater licence in the final third of the pitch, Montoya is unlikely to be roaming into areas of the pitch Hughton didn't want him in, not consistently, in my opinion.

But you’ve just mentioned shape, which actually was Hughton’s greatest strength, and probably the reason we weren’t relegated given the point at Wolves and Arsenal. I would also add tactically, it worked perfectly well prior to Christmas.

But fair enough, we won’t agree on this, players do play to a shape, but you also play to what you see (in fact for the vast majority of the game). Given Bruno managed to do it time and time again, it does not explain why Montoya seems incapable and hasn’t:

A - learnt by watching Bruno
B - continued to do it when berated by colleagues.

This is not due to the manager, he can give instruction, but cannot control every situation, and logically given we set up with our wingers to always come inside on to their stronger foot, why would a manager encourage his RB to block this space?

Montoya needs to improve in all aspects of his game.

All IMO of course.....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Skipped most the thread but the drinking culture at the club needs curbing as soon as possible, one player in particular can’t seem to stay out of the boozer and no I’m not going to name names but it’s out of control and unacceptable at this level. These are good pros we go up against and at our levels we need to do better!

If this player can't keep out of the pub, shouldn't he be named and shaned?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But you’ve just mentioned shape, which actually was Hughton’s greatest strength, and probably the reason we weren’t relegated given the point at Wolves and Arsenal. I would also add tactically, it worked perfectly well prior to Christmas.

But fair enough, we won’t agree on this, players do play to a shape, but you also play to what you see (in fact for the vast majority of the game). Given Bruno managed to do it time and time again, it does not explain why Montoya seems incapable and hasn’t:

A - learnt by watching Bruno
B - continued to do it when berated by colleagues.

This is not due to the manager, he can give instruction, but cannot control every situation, and logically given we set up with our wingers to always come inside on to their stronger foot, why would a manager encourage his RB to block this space?

Montoya needs to improve in all aspects of his game.

All IMO of course.....

I can't say why Hughton might want Montoya to come inside when supporting the winger, and Bruno to go outside in the same situation, maybe you are right and Montoya consistently ignored his instruction, I would have thought Hughton would have ironed that out if it was not what he wanted though? Good job we sacked him if he couldn't get his instructions across.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
If this player can't keep out of the pub, shouldn't he be named and shaned?

Quite simply, no. I have for sometime felt that these had let Chris down but I’m just a fan, not my business and I don’t think Chris had the balls to address it if I’m honest! You’ve only got to ask the locals...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can't say why Hughton might want Montoya to come inside when supporting the winger, and Bruno to go outside in the same situation, maybe you are right and Montoya consistently ignored his instruction, I would have thought Hughton would have ironed that out if it was not what he wanted though? Good job we sacked him if he couldn't get his instructions across.

Very harsh, how do you know the player didn’t do it automatically, after all most sport is based on muscle memory and instinct as per my initial point.

Alternatively perhaps Montoya is thick [emoji6][emoji2]

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Where are these rumours coming from? Who are the players? How visible are they? How often?
Personally think Bloom would annihilate anyone doing this consistently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here