Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cheer up Cheshire Cat; you never know, curious things may happen that will have you grinning like your namesake, before too long!::lolol::thumbsup:
That'd probably kill him.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Because they aren't good enough? Possibly?

Somewhere several months ago there was an interview that explained Hughton's methodology for promoting from the Under 23's which involved identified players shadowing the first team until he thought they were ready. I can only assume he thought none of the were ready.

Similaly Hughton clearly didn't rate our most expensive purchases as he didn't play them - preferring a 35 year old striker with the pace and turning circle of an oil tanker (albeit an eye for goal if and when he eventually got in range).

How would he ever know they weren't good enough when he never played any of them? Same for the new signings.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
This guy any good, never heard of him and seemed to have steered Swansea to 10th in the championship hardly strikes as quality, seemed to of done ok abroad but those famous words limited budget!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Oh christ weren't they? So it must have been the Fulham 5-0 that was next to the QPR 4-0, right?

Yeah the Fulham 5-0 and QPR 4-0 were towards the end of the season we finished 3rd, Norwich was towards the start of the season we got promoted. They were probably about all in the space of 4/5 months.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I want to award him a pedant star, but I can't :( He's not actually being pedantic - Dorset Seagull was talking shit, and Seagulls over Essex has caught him out.

He did catch him out, and one minute after [MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION] had done so with some similar geekery.

Perhaps not pedantry, but it is quite amusing that two separate posters were 'checking the details' of Dorset's claim. :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
With Ashworth already in place, and Potter incoming, there seems to be a clear strategy from Bloom. Alongside the training faculties and marvellous work being done at youth levels, we are going to prioritise youth and attempt to get ahead of the HGP curve. That’s where the money is going to be, either developing in house or buying in from the lower leagues young British players whom we can take a gamble on but bigger clubs can’t and turning over a healthy profit, hopefully staying in the PL in the meantime and having a system in place to quickly replace the players which move on.

If this was the long-term plan, I know it might sound crazy, but I wouldn’t be adverse to dropping down a level short term, if it helped in the long term sustainability wise. Hopefully Potter has enough tactical nous about him to achieve the former whilst staying in the PL. The problem with Hughton wasn’t the results, staying up was an achievement for sure, the negative football was a problem however, especially combined with the fact he refused to give youth a chance and always played the safe old guard with no outlook for the future. That’s why he went imo, and that’s why Potter is the replacement.

It does sound crazy, just look at this year in the Championship.

I'm not ignorant enough to be one of those suggesting we may never do it, but it could be a long time before we get the chance at this level again.

That should ALWAYS be prioritised above a risky strategy change. If we are attempting to do both at once then they've got their work cut out re. recruitment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don’t think that many others like us, gave their young players a chance?
Southampton maybe?
Our youngest first teamers are March, Bernardo and Bissouma @ 25, 24 and 23. Hardly a youth movement.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
1000% this.

It's often asked, "what would you prefer, play gash football and just stay up? or play good football and go down?".

I struggled with that question when we first came up, maybe I even reluctantly accepted the former. But after watching us play this season I've come to realize that my enjoyment of football and love of my football club come from enjoying the fight, whatever happens.

I'm now 100% sure that I would rather we go down fighting the good fight than stay up because we successfully ran away from the enemy.

"Stand or Fall" has never rung so true to me as it does today.
Which is exactly what Cardiff did - especially their victories over us and Man United. I think on balance I would prefer what we did: just cling on in the Premiership and have a chance to change things round for next season.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Our youngest first teamers are March, Bernardo and Bissouma @ 25, 24 and 23. Hardly a youth movement.

Not sure what that’s got to do with my question though?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Potter after we get spanked on the opening day of the season:

eyeball_paul_400x400.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here