Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Personal choice really – for that length of run, I personally wouldn't eat anything (might have a banana on a rare occasion) and just drink some water. But others stick to their routine of having what they normally have. I wouldn't normally have any fuel during the race, but any longer might have a shot block or something. But like I say, everyone's got their own approaches.

BUT, one important thing – don't have anything you wouldn't normally have. I swear a pre-race vanilla Yazoo ruined my Brighton Marathon in 2016 :dunce:

Thought I spied you with a coffee on Sunday morning in the café... :wink:

Decaff.......[emoji106][emoji6]....and had to stop for a piss before we got to Arundel.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m entrant number 199 at Brighton Phoenix this year. Anyone else entered or entering? I know it’s NSC’s least favoured distance but historically our best drinking session after an event.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So my return from a 2 year 'jogging' absence has been ok. I've managed a slow 5k for the last 3 Mondays with a 1minute improvement each time (Now down to 32 mins) and (having stopped 3 times on week 1) now running through (although still massively fighting the urge to stop at about 3-4k).

My real issue is simple. Just plain and simple fatigue of the calf muscles. Within minutes of starting they are tight and really restrict me. Will this just come with time and miles or is there any tips to help combat this? I have chicken legs, am very tall and accept I am not really 'built' for running so it may well be something that I have to accept.

Tight calves can lead to injury and need to be loosened. Search the net for 3 or 4 basic stretches to do and make sure you feel the stretch. Hips forward shoulders straight. Shoes on. A good rollering loosens them as well.

I'm nursing a sore Achilles from calf tightness after a return to hills and upping the pace. Good luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m entrant number 199 at Brighton Phoenix this year. Anyone else entered or entering? I know it’s NSC’s least favoured distance but historically our best drinking session after an event.

I love 5ks so much I'll treat myself to two. See you there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So my return from a 2 year 'jogging' absence has been ok. I've managed a slow 5k for the last 3 Mondays with a 1minute improvement each time (Now down to 32 mins) and (having stopped 3 times on week 1) now running through (although still massively fighting the urge to stop at about 3-4k).

My real issue is simple. Just plain and simple fatigue of the calf muscles. Within minutes of starting they are tight and really restrict me. Will this just come with time and miles or is there any tips to help combat this? I have chicken legs, am very tall and accept I am not really 'built' for running so it may well be something that I have to accept.

Have posted on this previously. I had a similar issue - calves tightening up shortly into a run (sometimes resulting in torn muscles) to the point where I couldn’t run. During a chance discussion with a physio during an appointment about a different injury she suggested it was down to a ‘sticky’ sciatic nerve. Apparently the nerve (which runs from your neck to your feet) is prone to getting stuck in its sheath - which can lead to the muscles impacted tightening up (it’s the body protecting the nerve). The physio recommended ‘neural flossing’ (essentially freeing the nerve so it ‘glides’ again). It was literally like a miracle cure for me. Apparently very common but so easily fixed. May be worth a go - the exercises take no more than a couple of minutes and are simple. Plenty of demos online like this one :

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A rare track session last night in West Yorkshire whilst away with work.

60 seconds steady, 60 seconds flat out x10. As it was explained I naively thought this would be easy. Anything but!

Covered 3.24 miles in 20 minutes and according to Strava I got up to 4:32 per mile pace. Now if I can extend this from 1 minutes to about 14 numerous Park Run victories await.

Back to plodding tomorrow as the build up is now for the Worthing 10k in just over 2 weeks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Down to page 3 and I feel like I've been off the thread for donkey's years. It's almost like something quite important happened to the club in the interim.

I'm in for Phoenix, It's race one of three for my next set of coached plans. That doesn't mean I'll be any competition but hopefully I won't absolutely hate it. Think I have a "pass" for parkrun tomorrow and from the forecast I'll have a crack at the prom and see if I can go sub 23 for the first time in three years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Down to page 3 and I feel like I've been off the thread for donkey's years. It's almost like something quite important happened to the club in the interim.

I'm in for Phoenix, It's race one of three for my next set of coached plans. That doesn't mean I'll be any competition but hopefully I won't absolutely hate it. Think I have a "pass" for parkrun tomorrow and from the forecast I'll have a crack at the prom and see if I can go sub 23 for the first time in three years.

Good lad. The Phoenix 10k is a good run we need more to sign up and make it a big NSC turnout.
See you at the Prom in the morning. I’m going to open my legs and show my class in a Colemanball way. Not sure what will happen but need a reality check. 21 to 21:30 I guess.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good lad. The Phoenix 10k is a good run we need more to sign up and make it a big NSC turnout.
See you at the Prom in the morning. I’m going to open my legs and show my class in a Colemanball way. Not sure what will happen but need a reality check. 21 to 21:30 I guess.

See you there. Look forward to trailing in your wake!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A very mixed morning on the prom. Unofficial time of 22.48 which, if confirmed is an SB, second best ever and only the third time I've gone under 23.

However, just after the two mile mark you can see on strava that I stop for about 10 seconds. This was to stretch out my hamstring following a shooting pain all the way up the top of my right leg. I had it all the way round after that. Running on injured probably isn't smart but I knew I'd been on for around 22.30. It slowed me down a fraction but the marathon gave me a lesson in running through pain.

I suspect I have ****ed it for Worthing 10k and I certainly need to find a new Jesus. On the plus side I think this explains the persistent "cramp" I've had in races, it simply has to be either muscular or down to the sciatic nerve. So, hopefully a couple of sports injury clinic visits and the "cramp" will be a thing of the past (or controllable). On the bench till I get it looked at though :(

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A very mixed morning on the prom. Unofficial time of 22.48 which, if confirmed is an SB, second best ever and only the third time I've gone under 23.

However, just after the two mile mark you can see on strava that I stop for about 10 seconds. This was to stretch out my hamstring following a shooting pain all the way up the top of my right leg. I had it all the way round after that. Running on injured probably isn't smart but I knew I'd been on for around 22.30. It slowed me down a fraction but the marathon gave me a lesson in running through pain.

I suspect I have ****ed it for Worthing 10k and I certainly need to find a new Jesus. On the plus side I think this explains the persistent "cramp" I've had in races, it simply has to be either muscular or down to the sciatic nerve. So, hopefully a couple of sports injury clinic visits and the "cramp" will be a thing of the past (or controllable). On the bench till I get it looked at though :(

Time confirmed as 22.48 so table update please [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

Malcolm Stuart tells me he's not taking on any more clients at the moment. Any other decent sports injury clinics out there in the absence of Jesus chaps?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Malcolm Stuart tells me he's not taking on any more clients at the moment. Any other decent sports injury clinics out there in the absence of Jesus chaps?

Difficult to recommend a physio cos it’s down to personal experience but I’ve found Tim, the new Jesus at Corals to be very good for leg and back

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Spookily I saw Tim, Jesus’s replacement Friday. Very, very good. In fact he still emails Jesus for his advice. Had a good experience yesterday and not bad value at £40 for an hour. Well worth booking him up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Spookily I saw Tim, Jesus’s replacement Friday. Very, very good. In fact he still emails Jesus for his advice. Had a good experience yesterday and not bad value at £40 for an hour. Well worth booking him up.

Right, I think that's my start off plan, thanks mate. My wife's oesteopath friend is going to check to see if it is back related for me on Monday (my hip is also killing me and the pain is radiating rather than muscle specific) as she's here anyway but I need Jesus-like healing to make Worthing. I'll see what they've got available.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ll ring Jesus the Second once @GB has booked in as my Achilles feels slightly at odds. No problem today at the Prom where I ran hard from the start. Had to dig deep but very happy with a 20:54 SB as have not run much lately.

Update please Gaffer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’ll ring Jesus the Second once @GB has booked in as my Achilles feels slightly at odds. No problem today at the Prom where I ran hard from the start. Had to dig deep but very happy with a 20:54 SB as have not run much lately.

Update please Gaffer.

You were off like a shot. I credit my 7.07 first mile to you, so thanks.

Did you keep going at the end? I headed straight to the lawns to stretch my hamstring.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You were off like a shot. I credit my 7.07 first mile to you, so thanks.

Did you keep going at the end? I headed straight to the lawns to stretch my hamstring.

Me off like a shot! As I settled in from the 6:30 mile pace start you overtook me! You had a good run, shame about hammy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here