Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom knows he got his timing wrong.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I do honestly believe that so many of Chris Hughtons die-hard supporters are somewhat coloured in their view, that because he was such a" very nice man" he must therefore be a "very good man manager".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If CH had been responsible for recruiting a centre forward who by his own admission doesn't like heading the ball, I'd say sack him

If CH had been responsible for recruiting a record signing winger who can't run fast, shoot, tackle or cross the ball, I's say sack him

If CH had been responsible for not signing David Brookes despite being highly recommended by the scouting team on the back of the analysts algorithms, I'd say sack him.

If CH had been responsible for having a bottom three wage budget in the Premier League, I'd say sack him

If CH had been responsible for the drink culture that's been alleged at the club amongst some senior pros, I'd say sack him.

Out of all those I'd only say your fourth point (about budgets) is the only one where he didn't have some level of input or control. On the signings we were always told that CH had the final say. Are you saying that wasn't true? (And didn't AJ play, and score, though the middle in Holland and it was CH who put him on the wing?)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do honestly believe that so many of Chris Hughtons die-hard supporters are somewhat coloured in their view, that because he was such a" very nice man" he must therefore be a "very good man manager".

Nothing to do with 2 of the most exciting seasons we've ever had in OUR ENTIRE HISTORY, a punching above our weight decent enough first season in the top flight, 2 decent cup runs, just that he's a very nice man. Okay then. :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He is entitled indeed to refresh the management, and you're entitled to be pleased to see a good, honest man be sacked.

As said elsewhere, I firmly believe it's possible to hold 2 contrasting opinions.

I believe honourable Chris Hughton's time had come to an end at the Albion.
&
I'm really gutted Chris Hughton's time has come to an end at the Albion.

I personally would be amazed if anyone is "pleased" and I don't like the repeated reference to that, from those who feel CH should be manager next season.

If I have that wrong, then fair enough, but in an ideal world I'd like to see 'proof' for posters on here being "pleased" that CH has lost his job, because I certainly haven't seen any of that.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As said elsewhere, I firmly believe it's possible to hold 2 contrasting opinions.

&

I personally would be amazed if anyone is "pleased" and I don't like the repeated reference to that, from those who feel CH shout be manager next season.

Well, exactly that, yes.

I probably wasn't the only one to not be blasting out "Now That's What I Call A Sacking 78" and dancing round the lounge in my pants on Monday morning.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm really not sure how you can know, so definitively, what the Albion's recruitment process is. You'll know what someone has told you, certainly, but you won't know how accurate it is, nor what agenda it is coming from.

But let's play the game anyway...

So, you know for a fact that Chris Hughton did not want Jurgen Locadia to be recruited, and stated this?

As above - did Hughton resist this signing in the strongest possible way?

The fact is all player recruitment, at every level, involves taking a chance. No player signing is guaranteed to work out. You seem to be suggesting that Hughton had absolutely nothing to do with Albion's recruitment. I really don't believe that, but even if he didn't, the system and people you are looking to blame have had a fair number of hits, assembling the squad that got us up and kept us up twice. There's little point me listing the successes, player by player, as we all know them.

A lot of clubs didn't sign David Brookes. A lot of clubs will have looked at him. Should they be sacking their managers/recruitment teams too?

Given those limitations, it sounds like those you want to blame did well to assemble a squad capable of staying up, no?

Who is responsible for squad discipline if not the manager?

I don't want to blame one person, I think it's a more complex issue than sacking the manager and things will improve.

1: Recruitment is a collective decision, CH would have been part of that no doubt, but he was the guy that was sacked.
2: Recruitment is a risk (Morata, Sanchez, Drinkwater, Robinho etc are evidence of that) and ours was poor in the last 12 months, it was better before that.
3: If we have a bottom three wage budget there's nothing wrong with that, but realistic expectations are to finish there or thereabouts, especially with some of our better signings in previous seasons (Gross and Izquierdo) being injured for the majority of the season, others have well documented personal issues (Knockaert) which have affected their performances.
4: As for the drinking culture and associated behaviour, that comes down to the individuals concerned. I'm responsible for my behaviour, and if I was a professional athlete with a relatively short career I'd not piss it away, but many players far more talented than those who have played for the Albion (Gascoigne, Adams, Merson, Bryan Robson etc) have been unable to be curtailed by managers in the past.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

&

I personally would be amazed if anyone is "pleased" and I don't like the repeated reference to that, from those who feel CH shout be manager next season.
If I have that wrong, then fair enough, but in an ideal world I'd like to see 'proof' for posters on here being "pleased" that CH has lost his job, because I certainly haven't seen any of that.

Perhaps some folk who think you are merely a weirdo will realise from this post that nuance can be understood only when the existence of nuance is understood. :thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We got nothing at spuds, 1 point at wolves and arsenal didn't matter.

I am sure I read somewhere that Bloom thought about sacking him after the Cardiff game but decided it would be better to stay with him until the end of the season. As we stayed up, He was clearly correct.

Personally, I would have sacked him after the Cardiff game and hoped for the usual 2 game bounce when a manager is sacked.

Where did you read it? And have I missed something, did we get relegated 2 game bounce, for ****s sake!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Nothing to do with 2 of the most exciting seasons we've ever had in OUR ENTIRE HISTORY, a punching above our weight decent enough first season in the top flight, 2 decent cup runs, just that he's a very nice man. Okay then. :rolleyes:

Only a matter of opinion of course, but I personally found the two seasons 77/78 & 78/79 far more exciting. I think those dates can be included " OUR ENTIRE HISTORY".....?

Perhaps I should have alluded to his various tenures as a manager in the Premier League rather than all his football management career.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps some folk who think you are merely a weirdo will realise from this post that nuance can be understood only when the existence of nuance is understood. :thumbsup:

I'm beginning to feel like the Brexiteers who take offence at being labeled as racists.

I guess the only difference being I'm not actually "pleased" CH was sacked. :lolol: :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only a matter of opinion of course, but I personally found the two seasons 77/78 & 78/79 far more exciting. I think those dates can be included " OUR ENTIRE HISTORY".....?

Perhaps I should have alluded to his various tenures as a manager in the Premier League rather than all his football management career.

Not sure if you read what I said, "2 of the most", which means not exclusively the seasons I listed. So please include those above, as '2 other examples of the most exciting in our entire history'.

You made a statement that people are only thinking he shouldn't have been sacked because he is a nice man. Your words. Now you're trying to side step those remarks by diversion, classic strawman if you will.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that TB got his timing exactly right having made the decision to do it. Had it happened after Cardiff we may no0t have secured enough points to stay up. There is something to say about doing it after either Southampton or Bournemouth and hope the feelgood new manager syndrome would have worked against Cardiff but it would have been a gamble. The more I think of it he got it right both the timing and the actual decision to replace CH.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

&

I personally would be amazed if anyone is "pleased" and I don't like the repeated reference to that, from those who feel CH should be manager next season.

God Help Please I agree with Stat Bros.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
tldr

Please provide evidence to support your assertion that:-

Bloom knows he got his timing wrong

ie a statement from Mr Chairman saying "I know I got my timing wrong". If you can't then you are spouting bollox

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here