Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A very good article that and sums the situation up well I reckon.

"Brighton’s next moves had better be good to justify this sacking". Indeed.
What would be the alternative? Sticking with a manager so rigid in his thinking? One, who immediately after going 1 goal in front drops everybody back to sustain non-stop pressure? A manager who thinks 25-29% possession all season is the way forward? I'm not sure of the exact percentage but it can't be much more than that

Paul Hayward has got it wrong and it is obvious that he hasn't watched us much these past two seasons of stinking out the PL.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes I was.

PS: If you can't even stretch to Palace or even Arsenal away as good performances then fair enough. Tough crowd to say the least.
Palace away really wasn't a good performance. It was however a great result.

Palace were totally inept that day and even then we managed just 37% possession, had 4 shots (3 on target) and 0 corners.

No matter how much spin you try and put on that game it really wasn't a good performance.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
What would be the alternative? Sticking with a manager so rigid in his thinking? One, who immediately after going 1 goal in front drops everybody back to sustain non-stop pressure? A manager who thinks 25-29% possession all season is the way forward? I'm not sure of the exact percentage but it can't be much more than that

Paul Hayward has got it wrong and it is obvious that he hasn't watched us much these past two seasons of stinking out the PL.

I love Paul but there's been an awful lot written today about a team that has won two games in five months.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I love Paul but there's been an awful lot written today about a team that has won two games in five months.
That is the astonishing thing. Two wins in five months plus a new club record for not scoring a goal but the club is wrong to sack him?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
e18c9a8aa29080cbdfc12ab675c5db15.jpg

Well the greyhound is by upset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Tony must run the club as a business and this was a business decision. Hundreds of millions of pounds are at stake and many lower level administrative jobs are on the line. There is very little room for sentiment in business.

Here’s a question for those who feel he shouldn’t have been sacked. It’s a thought experiment so no cheating.

You are in charge of recruiting our next manager. Our situation is as it is now, but our fictional manager has just resigned. Chris Hughton is available and has never been our manager, but has exactly the same record with another club, playing the same way with the same stats. Would you offer him the job? Or would you look elsewhere?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Palace were totally inept that day and even then we managed just 37% possession, had 4 shots (3 on target) and 0 corners.
No matter how much spin you try and put on that game it really wasn't a good performance.

Like i said, tough crowd.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I wonder what would have happened if we had denied Man City the title yesterday. Can't believe he would have been sacked then.

When the second goal went in, the atmosphere went from buzzing to dead. The players' body language and performance went totally flat.
This really summed up where the club are at the moment. We had lost the game as soon as we went behind.

Whilst I am personally disappointed in the decision, I strongly suspect it had to be done.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Sorry there is no spin required.
You are wrong on this one.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That is the astonishing thing. Two wins in five months plus a new club record for not scoring a goal but the club is wrong to sack him?

On the surface it looks very harsh - he kept us up , ‘what more can Brighton expect?’ , cup semi final etc. There’s no doubt Chris has been amazing for us.
But it’s all about direction.
We were in reverse and were 100% doomed with Chris in charge..
I reckon Tony has big plans . it’ll be an exciting summer with some high profile signings.
We might well go down anyway but at least we won’t be hanging on playing boring football.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When the second goal went in, the atmosphere went from buzzing to dead. The players' body language and performance went totally flat.
This really summed up where the club are at the moment. We had lost the game as soon as we went behind.

Our last four performances kept us up, two of which were after we had gone behind. How do you explain them ?

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011

What nailed it for me is how could he stay with such a poor record since the new year.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Tony must run the club as a business and this was a business decision. Hundreds of millions of pounds are at stake and many lower level administrative jobs are on the line. There is very little room for sentiment in business.

Here’s a question for those who feel he shouldn’t have been sacked. It’s a thought experiment so no cheating.

You are in charge of recruiting our next manager. Our situation is as it is now, but our fictional manager has just resigned. Chris Hughton is available and has never been our manager, but has exactly the same record with another club, playing the same way with the same stats. Would you offer him the job? Or would you look elsewhere?

So would this mythical CH have exactly the same players to work with? If so I would say yes. :shrug:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Our last four performances kept us up, two of which were after we had gone behind. How do you explain them ?

Fair point.
Arsenal was a good all round performance.
Newcastle also proved that Hughton is able to change things with substitutions.

However it was nonetheless, disappointing that the team and fans seemed to give up after such a great start.
Particularly in a match that didn't really matter to us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Did they ?

We got a whole 2 points from the last four games, which even had we lost, we would still have stayed up on goal difference.

Our results for the second half of the league season were dreadful.

In the 4 performances before Man City , we had 3 points from Wolves, Newcastle and Arsenal , which in the end kept us up.
I'm not denying that our results for the 2nd half were largely poor, and sometimes shocking but the players and Hughton turned it round when it mattered.
including coming from behind to get a point. Twice.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Think it is very much the wrong decision and fear we will regret it.
Playing expansive football means nothing if we get relegated.
Having said that I think it's important that everyone, whatever they thought of Hughton, gets together and supports the new manager.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
In the 4 performances before Man City , we had 3 points from Wolves, Newcastle and Arsenal , which in the end kept us up.
I'm not denying that our results for the 2nd half were largely poor, and sometimes shocking but the players and Hughton turned it round when it mattered.
including coming from behind to get a point. Twice.

You originally said...." our last four performances kept us up.".....it didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here