Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Could the Club have handled Chris's Sacking Better

SAC

May 21, 2014
The best the club can do is to honour whatever termination clause is in his contract, which I'm sure that they will do. Best to get it out of the way ASAP and get on with looking for a replacement.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hughtons sacking was as blunt as any sacking .
Having watched the red carpet rolled out for city , I’m more concerned about
The club being too nice rather than too harsh .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I suppose the only correct answer to this question is "who knows?" apart from those directly involved.

However, I have to say that CH has always struck me as one of the most principled, dignified, decent and honest people in football.

It wouldn't suprise me at all if Houghton was offered the 'mutual consent' option in the press release but declined, saying something like 'if you want to sack me, then sack me and let's just say it how it is.' Unlike many, I can't imagine he would agree to a 'mutual consent' tagline if, from his standpoint, it wasn't.

Who is this bloke you talk of :moo:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I’m sure the decision was made some time ago and the club were intent on making the announcement as soon as possible to enable us to get the new manager in place asap to start working on transfer targets as soon as we can.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Few players and managers get a personal send-off in the manner Bruno did yesterday, but that's football.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
1) He was sacked, not resigned. So could not complete duties after being sacked.
2) With the Premier League title race I am glad we did not leave a man in charge who knew he was off. Imagine the sh*t we'd get?
3) He got a send off in the lap of honour

exactamundo

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think they have handled it as well as can be expected. TB has said very respectful things.

Reading the statement, it suggests Chris was reluctant to go, hence no mutual decision.

I doubt that it gave Tony or PB any pleasure and I'm sure the mood is incredibly sad.

To suggest that nothing should have been done - as appears to be happening in areas of the media - is naive. We were easy to play against; couldn't score and were shipping goals. Something had to change.

I think that waiting until after Sunday was right. If there was no agreement to depart, then CH would have known it was coming. I'd imagine that he would not have wanted his departure to distract the players - I bet that's the type of bloke he is - and the club respected that. This is all assumption.

If things have been handled well, then I'm sure everyone will keep it to themselves.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If you believe the rumours, he was offered a chance to resign by mutual consent and be given the same kind of send-off as Bruno. He refused and has taken the pay-off - obviously believing he has done a decent job and deserved another season.

With that in mind, there was no better time for us to do it unless you wanted Richie Reynolds to announce it as Chris circles with pitch with his albion clad family under wing, just so we could give him an extra round of applause.

Are these rumours a theory or from a good source? A big send off or 2 years wages isn't a convincing offer. A fairer way would have been mutual consent with an undisclosed goodwill payment.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’m sure the decision was made some time ago and the club were intent on making the announcement as soon as possible to enable us to get the new manager in place asap to start working on transfer targets as soon as we can.

According to a report in the Argus, it was a decision Bloom came to yesterday night by himself.

Which rather surprises me. I would have thought he would at least have bounced it off someone else senior at thye club...…… but maybe he had picked up concerns from elsewhere as well.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
According to a report in the Argus, it was a decision Bloom came to yesterday night by himself.

Absolute garbage. Be rest assured the club and TB would have been working behind the scenes for some weeks before announcing his sacking this morning.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When is a sacking not a blunt sacking? Geezer you're fired, oh ok I best get me coat then... I'd have thought they're all pretty much the same?

Yeah that’s what I meant . All sackings are blunt

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Which rather surprises me. I would have thought he would at least have bounced it off someone else senior at thye club...…… but maybe he had picked up concerns from elsewhere as well.

Utter tripe!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Absolute garbage. Be rest assured the club and TB would have been working behind the scenes for some weeks before announcing his sacking this morning.

I would not be so sure.

I would be confident there were plans in hand or work done on which managers we might be interested in should the need arise.

I don't think there have been plans afoot to ditch CH for for some weeks.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The decision would have been made after palace beat Cardiff and we were safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would not be so sure.

I would be confident there were plans in hand or work done on which managers we might be interested in should the need arise.

I don't think there have been plans afoot to ditch CH for for some weeks.

Possibly not, but I would also be pretty sure it was done yesterday evening and not this morning. Which would suggest the decision has some longevity in it, regardless of another home spanking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of decency I’m absolutely certain the club will have discussed the wording of the press release with Hughton and his representative/lawyer.

It’s a sad day, a very sad day, but something had to change. He’ll be back, and we can applaud him then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here