Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving Kompany a Standing Ovation

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sigh, once again I point you to the post where I admitted my mistake. When I said I didn't see city giving an ovation it was as I literally didn't notice. How is that writing shit? They were all standing anyway and I was trying to see Bruno, not look at a bunch of other fans. I also said credit where credit is due. Do you want my blood? Lol.:ffsparr:

Good reply. Obviously I read the thread from the start and hadn't yet read your later genuflection. Anyway, one good mistake deserves another, innit? ??? :cheers:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Embarrassing thread.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was pretty enraged by that. I didn't see City fans giving Bruno an ovation but I'd have preferred had we recognised that we had been outclassed by kompany's team and he was the enemy. All I was feeling was bitter disappointment that we'd capitulated or rather been shown up so badly on the last day of the season.
Jesus. The whole away end were applauding him as were their players and manager.

The Kompany reaction (from Brighton fans) was very much in reaction to that.

I'd never stay behind to see the other team win the trophy though. Really don't understand that.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Jesus. The whole away end were applauding him as were their players and manager.

The Kompany reaction (from Brighton fans) was very much in reaction to that.

I'd never stay behind to see the other team win the trophy though. Really don't understand that.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Haha, you're so late to the party it's laughable. Try reading the thread, not just a few posts.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just two thoughts on this, I chatted with a City fan on the way back to the car park after the game. He was very impressed at the amount of our fans who stayed for the presentation, classy, was his exact word for us.
When we won League One at a canter, and Southampton didn’t show the usual respectful conduct of a guard of honour thing, for our players, how many thought they were classless,bitter and tinpot?
I did, and I still consider Southampton a lesser club now.

Bad sportsmanship is called that for a reason, it’s bad.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Same reason as so many applauded Gerrard when, after a lengthy layoff, he made a comeback as a sub for Liverpool at the Amex.

There are plenty of Albion season ticket holders who are Premier League/football fans rather than Brighton fans....imo

Seriously? Who the **** is a 'Premier League' fan? I've never met anyone who is a massive fan of a 'league'! If you are a football fan, you have a team, if you just 'like' football, then you are very unlikely to be going to matches. I appreciate that some people have more than one favourite for various reasons - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But surely there aren't many people getting tickets at Brighton if they aren't genuine fans? Makes so little sense.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Just two thoughts on this, I chatted with a City fan on the way back to the car park after the game. He was very impressed at the amount of our fans who stayed for the presentation, classy, was his exact word for us..
He's hardly going to slate us for supporting his club?

When we won League One at a canter, and Southampton didn’t show the usual respectful conduct of a guard of honour thing, for our players, how many thought they were classless,bitter and tinpot? I did, and I still consider Southampton a lesser club now.
I didn't give a toss and considering that's never been mentioned since (until now) it's pretty clear no one else gave a toss either. When the Shrewsbury fans all left whilst we lifted the Trophy at Gay Meadow, I didn't see or hear any of our fans complaining.

Bad sportsmanship is called that for a reason, it’s bad.
But yet when a little kid asks for Hazard's shirt after the game, it's perfectly fine for tons of grown men to be complaining about the kid and the parent for allowing it? Even today I read a post on here about that incident involving the little child. In my eye's moaning about the actions of a child who meant no harm whatsoever, is a million times more pathetic than having a whinge about how our fans lick the arse off the top 6 teams in this division. but for some reason, that kid takes the abuse. Just a guess but does anyone think the general dislike towards Chelse may have influenced the bravado made about the father and son having their controversial hug moment ?
Would the fans today have been as supportive had it been Chelsea rather than City winning the Prem today? I don't think so.

Last edited:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If some of ours fans clapping off their captain is your biggest problem in life then happy days..
My problem with this is, that it wasn't just a clapping off, he was given a standing ovation by a large number of Brighton fans. So have we now set a precedent and to be considered a sporting club, we must give a standing ovation to any good player subbed by the opposition in future?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I bought this subject up many seasons ago, cant remember who it was about though. I said at the time would we clap a certain player off and I got shot down. I'm a BHA fan first and football fan second and I appreciate a good player and will applaud.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Tony Bloom took his family down in front of the south east corner, sat on the grass, and watched City lift the trophy.

Bad fan.

theboybilly

I would estimate the ground was at least half full

You would estimate incorrectly. The ground was still well attended (I'm guessing WSU was too but I couldn't see) until City actually lifted the trophy and the celebrations began. All of our players remained too. It was only then that the exodus began in earnest. For many there was no rush as the coach departure times had been put back anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here