Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Life in general. Hate this boxxocks about being careful not to upset/offend people. One should not do it if it can be avoided, but if it is an unavoidable consequence of telling the truth so be it.
And the *truth" is that the royals gave birth to a monkey in a suit?

Riiiiiiight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Life in general. Hate this boxxocks about being careful not to upset/offend people. One should not do it if it can be avoided, but if it is an unavoidable consequence of telling the truth so be it.

So what truth do you consider DB was telling?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Riiiiiiight.

There are some intriguing and unexpected consequences of DB's tweet. A small minority of posters on a football forum feel a need to let the rest of us know that we are mugs for not realising that black people are monkeys.

I have no words.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
z
There are some intriguing and unexpected consequences of DB's tweet. A small minority of posters on a football forum feel a need to let the rest of us know that we are mugs for not realising that black people are monkeys.

I have no words.....

So throwing bananas onto a football pitch, as recently as this season you just thought was part of promoting 5-a-day?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Riiiiiiight.

So what truth do you consider DB was telling?

Look at what my original comment was about, not tippy toeing around people who may get upset. It was in response to another poster saying that we all need to think about how our comments may affect others. I believe DB was continuing his long running references to animals/chimps in clothing, I do not believe it was racist at all, but others have chosen to put their own interpretation upon his tweet to allow them to demonise him.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
He admits it was a terrible mistake. Just listening to the LBC interview.

My life will be that little bit poorer for not having the first 30 minutes of his R5 programme on a Sunday morning.

As someone who also has his own tropes, not only on here ('oh goody, another poll' etc) but also in real life (work and family - I won't bore you, they have to suffer it so I'll spare you the agony) I'd be mightily pissed off if employers who should (and yes, do) know my schtik, and that I am a force for the good (which DB certainly is) choose to throw me under the bus just so they can accrue a small tiding of approval from the most very ignorant and lazy minded of the hoi polloi. Most of whom hate DB anyway, largely because they don't approve of a working class man with wit, money, fast friends and a grounded family.

Yes, I'm quite ****ed off about this.

I see your point. I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that DB is a bloke that the BBC would be looking for an excuse to sack. Not trying to make him into some sort of hero, but suspect he was an uncomfortable 'fit' there.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Look at what my original comment was about, not tippy toeing around people who may get upset. It was in response to another poster saying that we all need to think about how our comments may affect others. I believe DB was continuing his long running references to animals/chimps in clothing, I do not believe it was racist at all, but others have chosen to put their own interpretation upon his tweet to allow them to demonise him.

Danny Baker is not a racist in any way, shape or form. He muffed up, deleted the tweet and apologises. That's EXACTLY what one should do when one has made that sort of gaff. A gaff which, whether we like it or not, we're all capable of doing. To punish someone who has done the right thing is mental, it's saying to people that one comment, one line, one mistake defines you as a racist and it plays right in to to the hands of the PC gone mad brigade. The fact that he didn't even know that Markle was of mixed heritage is rather overlooked in the whole debacle.

Of course, what's really happened here is that a BBC figure has had a pop at the royal family and that's big no no, innit.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
First off let me say I think Baker’s Tweet was poorly thought out, though clearly he says he didn’t think about it!

Next, my own experience!

I was at a well known theme park at the weekend, that has a nice collection of gorillas, we sat and watched the baby gorilla swinging around its cage - lovely!

We then went on to the children’s play area, where a couple of boys were swinging from the monkey bars, I innocently turned to my little one and said “look at the little monkeys swinging”.

It was at the point of saying it that I realised the two boys in question were black! Immediately felt shocked that I could have said something that could be misconstrued or taken offence at.

Guess what I am trying to say is sometimes it’s a case of intent and content. No one did take offence to my comment, but it may have been a different outcome if their father had heard me...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Danny Baker is not a racist in any way, shape or form. He muffed up, deleted the tweet and apologises. That's EXACTLY what one should do when one has made that sort of gaff. A gaff which, whether we like it or not, we're all capable of doing. To punish someone who has done the right thing is mental, it's saying to people that one comment, one line, one mistake defines you as a racist and it plays right in to to the hands of the PC gone mad brigade. The fact that he didn't even know that Markle was of mixed heritage is rather overlooked in the whole debacle.

Of course, what's really happened here is that a BBC figure has had a pop at the royal family and that's big no no, innit.

Disagree. His excuse of not knowing she is of mixed heritage is bo11ocks. Where has he been for the last couple of years??? On the moon?

He's n offensive talentless idiot who likes to court controversy to increase his own fame and fortune at the expense of others. He showed no real remorse in the 'apology" and blames others for mid understanding it. He's a d1ck.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Disagree. His excuse of not knowing she is of mixed heritage is bo11ocks. Where has he been for the last couple of years??? On the moon?

He's n offensive talentless idiot who likes to court controversy to increase his own fame and fortune at the expense of others. He showed no real remorse in the 'apology" and blames others for mid understanding it. He's a d1ck.

You don’t get to being a national radio presenter by being talentless. You get to the level you or I are at by being nothing exceptional. Mixed heritage? I think you mean mixed race, which I had forgotten about till people like you got upset at jack shxt.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I may have missed something but did he ACTUALLY say he "DIDN'T KNOW" she was mixed race?

He said, when he posted the image, the issue of her race didn't even cross his mind in relation to the image. When I saw the image on twitter, the issue of her race didn't cross my mind.....but I know she is mixed race.

Those are two VERY different things.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How much money has the BBC paid to Farage over the years?

How many times has he apologised of inadvertent racist snaffoos?

Oh that's right those are inadvertent...

...here's another cheque Mr Faridge.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
First off let me say I think Baker’s Tweet was poorly thought out, though clearly he says he didn’t think about it!

Next, my own experience!

I was at a well known theme park at the weekend, that has a nice collection of gorillas, we sat and watched the baby gorilla swinging around its cage - lovely!

We then went on to the children’s play area, where a couple of boys were swinging from the monkey bars, I innocently turned to my little one and said “look at the little monkeys swinging”.

It was at the point of saying it that I realised the two boys in question were black! Immediately felt shocked that I could have said something that could be misconstrued or taken offence at.

Guess what I am trying to say is sometimes it’s a case of intent and content. No one did take offence to my comment, but it may have been a different outcome if their father had heard me...

I think that's a very good comparison - a thoughtless comment said without offence or intent, but which could have been construed as such.

This Tweet from Baker went well over my head to begin with, it's only through explanation that I understand where the offence has come from but I question how genuine any offence would be. It's a nothing incident, but a good excuse to bin off someone who might not be popular.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Somewhat surprised by the poll result.

The picture equates the birth of a mixed race baby with a chimp. How can that not be racist? What's the difference between that and monkey chants or the throwing of bananas at black players?

Now I'm no royalist, far from it. When HM goes I'd gladly be shot of the lot of them. But when he posted a picture of a chimp and quite obviously linked it to the birth of a baby of mixed race heritage it couldn't be anything but racist.

Waveknight

Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Somewhat surprised by the poll result.

The picture equates the birth of a mixed race baby with a chimp. How can that not be racist? What's the difference between that and monkey chants or the throwing of bananas at black players?

Now I'm no royalist, far from it. When HM goes I'd gladly be shot of the lot of them. But when he posted a picture of a chimp and quite obviously linked it to the birth of a baby of mixed race heritage it couldn't be anything but racist.
Absolutely correct , he's also claiming he didn't realise Meghan Markle was mixed race, really?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
rippleman;8905210 But when he posted a picture of a chimp and quite obviously linked it to the birth of a baby of mixed race heritage it couldn't be anything but racist.[/QUOTE said:
As DB has already said/tweeted, he was unaware of the mixed race status. But that won’t suit your mock lndignation will it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here