Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New: Barber on Ashworth, recruitment, u23s, and the vision.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Barber is talking about the upcoming Board awayday(s) where he plans to discuss this.
He literally discusses in the interview how to move beyond merely staying in the Prem as a vision/objective.

So the vision is to move beyond just staying in the PL? Didn't think it said that.

I thought the article "literally said" that they were considering what the vision was, that it needed to be both inspiring and achievable. i.e. the vision hasn't been set. Which makes talk of the vision a little premature. Or is it on page 15 of the memo?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It does amuse me how some of us read this and think ‘corporate bollocks’ and others think ‘professionally run club’.

I’m not entirely sure what the former people want a club in the richest league in the world to be run like. Part-time amateur hour doesn’t feel like a sustainable way to achieve anything of note. I might be bigging us up too much, but I like to think BHA are a little more aware of the perils of over-reaching and falling through the leagues than many other clubs. In many things you only realise what you have after you lose it (or damn nearly lose it).

I WANT our club to be run like this. I want a set of goals and targets that are out in the open. If you have a goal then it’s helps your direction and decision making. What do you think Palace are doing? They haven’t a bloody clue. Mostly I think the people in charge are spending most of their effort thinking how they can enrich themselves. We are so fortunate to be in the position we are in and frankly if some of our fan base think it’s all too business like and corporate then they’ll just have to reminisce in sorrow, as the old days are long gone. I don’t see much benefit in regretting it, but that’s me. Happy go lucky ****er that I am.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
suspect am unpublished (for obvious reasons) part of long term vision will be to develop players and sell them on for very large "undisclosed" fees
clearly we can't admit this in public, as we can then hold out for £50m plus when one of our better players do eventually move on
pipeline of younger players looks very much like the Southampton model of recent past to me

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
suspect am unpublished (for obvious reasons) part of long term vision will be to develop players and sell them on for very large "undisclosed" fees
clearly we can't admit this in public, as we can then hold out for £50m plus when one of our better players do eventually move on
pipeline of younger players looks very much like the Southampton model of recent past to me

An entirely sensible approach. Of course, we probably need them to be playing in a decent league and proving themselves to make them worth decent money. Currently we can’t afford to take the risk unless it’s a fairly sure shot that they can perform for us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the vision is to move beyond just staying in the PL? Didn't think it said that.

Not explicitly, no. But Barber said “staying in the Premier League isn't very inspiring to the outside world.” and the next vision needs to be “exciting.” I think we can infer the club will aim for more than just survival.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s no mention of shots in our long term planning? When are we going to start having shots? And is there a plan to get a certain percentage on target too?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8902964 said:
Genuine question... How many other clubs in world football can say that?

Well there’s two more in the EPL, so I’d suggest there’s plenty more throughout the world.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There’s no mention of shots in our long term planning? When are we going to start having shots? And is there a plan to get a certain percentage on target too?

They are much further down the chain. Personal objectives I think they are called.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Looking forward to their seventh successive season in the Premier League.

Despite not having a bloody clue.

I can piss put my window and some of it will land on the plants, it doesn’t make it a sensible approach for keeping the garden watered. The point I was making isn’t about ‘staying in the Premier League’. It’s about being professional enough to recognise that is not guaranteed for anyone at our level, and having a plan that carefully tries to address that, whilst being as prepared as possible if the worst happens. Palace are categorically not doing this, they (like many clubs) are playing the wages / transfer game that they are destined to lose. You can’t control when that is going to fail, or when you’ll have an unlucky season and land in the bottom three - you can control how well placed you are to minimise the impact if that happens...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I can piss put my window and some of it will land on the plants, it doesn’t make it a sensible approach for keeping the garden watered. The point I was making isn’t about ‘staying in the Premier League’. It’s about being professional enough to recognise that is not guaranteed for anyone at our level, and having a plan that carefully tries to address that, whilst being as prepared as possible if the worst happens. Palace are categorically not doing this, they (like many clubs) are playing the wages / transfer game that they are destined to lose. You can’t control when that is going to fail, or when you’ll have an unlucky season and land in the bottom three - you can control how well placed you are to minimise the impact if that happens...

Thank you for taking the time to construct such a thoughtful reply.

To a joke. :)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

This. Though i think the club were quite clear this is the strategy. The academy has to be an income stream... Sell 19 out of every 20, making a profit on maybe 5-6 of them. But the 20th is good enough to keep.

Back to the article... There does seem to be a undertone of annoyance that academy players aren't getting a look in at board level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here