Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Virgil van Dijk for £3 Million! (and why we didn't sign him)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is pretty much how I recall it too. We were in for Van Dijk way before anyone else and Gus even went over to the Netherlands a couple of times to watch him, but Groningen simply would not sell.

Bit more to it than that, from what I’m led to believe.

We were in for him in January. He wanted t come, and agreed terms. Groningen accepted our bid - verbally agreed the deal, but then because they were in trouble, said the deal would be concluded in the summer.

Then in the summer, presumably as they knew of other interest, Groningen told us that they’d honour the sale to Brighton, but the price had now gone up (to €3m). Bloom felt he was being seen off - a deal is a deal, so told them to stick it.

So Hus is wrong that we couldn’t pay it - we just wouldn’t.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Bit more to it than that, from what I’m led to believe.

We were in for him in January. He wanted t come, and agreed terms. Groningen accepted our bid - verbally agreed the deal, but then because they were in trouble, said the deal would be concluded in the summer.

Then in the summer, presumably as they knew of other interest, Groningen told us that they’d honour the sale to Brighton, but the price had now gone up (to €3m). Bloom felt he was being seen off - a deal is a deal, so told them to stick it.

So Hus is wrong that we couldn’t pay it - we just wouldn’t.

That does all pretty much stack-up and certainly puts more meat on the bones of how I thought it played out.

I am guessing that Poyet leaving the club in the summer and the fall-out that ensued also played a part seeing as how much Gus wanted to sign Virgil.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Looks like we dodged a bullet on tonight’s performance!! Barcelona could have scored 5 in the 2nd half

��

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Bit of context really. VVD was being touted round by his agent but Ajax had turned him down. He was, what, 18 at the time? It was a lot of money at the time for us. We can all be wise in hindsight but I don't think blame should be apportioned to anyone. That won't stop finger pointing obviously.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
In fairness, we’ve done well with our other signings from the Dutch league since then: Kemy, Elvis...........

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We went for Van Dijk in January 2013. He wanted to come but we wouldn’t stump up the extra £500k wanted by his club. The club then cut costs in the summer after we missed out on promotion so didn’t bother to go back in for him when he went to Celtic.

That was my recollection.

Anyway turns out he was shit anyway!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not in 2012/13 we weren't.

We were, we had significant issues with annual losses and FFP, plus the need to bolster other areas of the squad. My point is it's very easy to say we should've signed X, Y or Z after the event but at the time you're trying to balance the books, build a squad and pay for ongoing stadia costs, it wasn't easy. Add to this the fact that I think Poyet is a self obsessed CJTC and you may see my point?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
My recollection of how this was reported at the time (and apologies if I am repeating what someone else has said) is that we matched their valuation but it then went up? It's not like it was us v Celtic, Groningen didn't want to sell in January so he went in the summer. Interesting that Poyet actually says there that he was told to go and watch Van Dijk rather than claiming to have been the architect of the interest. Obviously in reality it is rarely going to be a club's manager rather than the recruitment team that does the spadework but I am a little surprised to hear him actually say it!

Also, given what the player has become it is perplexing that in that transfer window we were the only club with a reported firm interest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This type of "with the benefit of hindsight" story really grips my sh1t, no we didn't bid any more because at the time we were fighting for our financial lives.

We were, we had significant issues with annual losses and FFP, plus the need to bolster other areas of the squad. My point is it's very easy to say we should've signed X, Y or Z after the event but at the time you're trying to balance the books, build a squad and pay for ongoing stadia costs, it wasn't easy. Add to this the fact that I think Poyet is a self obsessed CJTC and you may see my point?

We kept within FFP and paid every bill related to the stadium. Tony Bloom spent what he had to, to keep us going on an upward trend, but still had enough to pay everything in full, and converting his contribution into shares.

Fighting for our financial lives was what we did from 97-08, with the Forty note fund, and charging FBS a million pound donation for a parking spot at Withdean. There is a difference.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My recollection of how this was reported at the time (and apologies if I am repeating what someone else has said) is that we matched their valuation but it then went up? It's not like it was us v Celtic, Groningen didn't want to sell in January so he went in the summer. Interesting that Poyet actually says there that he was told to go and watch Van Dijk rather than claiming to have been the architect of the interest. Obviously in reality it is rarely going to be a club's manager rather than the recruitment team that does the spadework but I am a little surprised to hear him actually say it!

Also, given what the player has become it is perplexing that in that transfer window we were the only club with a reported firm interest.

I doubt our 'recruitment team' found Calde, Casper Angregen, Bruno or others that Poyet brought in. We didn't have a recruitment team at that point.

John Stephenson came from Watford (2011) and introduced such delights as Bergkamp, which infuriated Poyet. He soon left, muttering he couldn't settle on the south coast (it's a long way from Hertfordshire) and then came Burke.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I doubt our 'recruitment team' found Calde, Casper Angregen, Bruno or others that Poyet brought in. We didn't have a recruitment team at that point.

John Stephenson came from Watford (2011) and introduced such delights as Bergkamp, which infuriated Poyet. He soon left, muttering he couldn't settle on the south coast (it's a long way from Hertfordshire) and then came Burke.

I meant it loosely, basically anyone involved in the recruitment process. Could have been a scout for example. Just (pleasantly) surprised that Poyet didn't claim credit.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Signing VVD at the time would have probably meant losing Dunk.

I remember a very long thread on here and I fairly certain at the time it was down to wages.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Correct and at the time when I suggested Poyet hadnt signed Bergkamp and was unhappy about him not being in total control I was completely torn to peices by people on this board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here