Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool fans pushing locals into a fountain

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The way I see this is that Liverpool are one of those clubs with some really bad fans. Leeds, West Ham, Cardiff and Chelsea are the same. I’m not minded to say it’s scousers as I don’t remember too many problems with Everton fans.

Now clearly any club has got undesirable people who associate themselves with it. We’ve had to ban a few this season, but the difference between clubs with a good reputation for support and those with a bad reputation for support is the number of ordinary fans willing to self police and bring the drunk idiots into line.

There’s also clearly a greater problem when English fans go abroad. I can only guess this is to do with some sort of nationalist “conquering” mentality which our nation, embarrassingly seems to be prevalent. I blame the right wing press myself.
Sensible post. Amongst a lot of not so sensible posts.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The way I see this is that Liverpool are one of those clubs with some really bad fans. Leeds, West Ham, Cardiff and Chelsea are the same. I’m not minded to say it’s scousers as I don’t remember too many problems with Everton fans.

No Everton fans never cause trouble

In a statement released today, the Metropolitan Police said: "Detectives investigating disorder following a Millwall v Everton match in January have released images of a further 17 people - believed to be Everton fans - who they would like to speak to in connection with the widespread disorder which occurred before, during and after the match on Saturday, January 26."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is a football forum. Liverpool fans are in Barcelona to watch their team tonight. So twist it how you like but this thread is about the behaviour of a few Liverpool football fans among the thousands in Barcelona.
Corrected for you.

Get real. Liverpool fans are trouble whether it be raiding shops (pre planned) in Paris and other European cities, attacking City’s team coach, fighting on the terraces of Heysel, and picking your pocket!
Top stereotyping! Yeh, they're all the same, aren't they?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's not a case of prioritising what's newsworthy, whether that's in your opinion or someone else's. It's about innocent people going about their business being picked on for no reason whatsoever and what will be done about it.

Innocent people going about...oh please, think of the children!!! What about the children?!!! In other news, car window screens were cleaned by immigrants at a set of traffic lights near Norwich today. Without the owners permission. Who were left traumatised as they innocently just driving about their business. In a series of tweets by outraged local politicians, a meeting is being called to discuss what can be done about after one angry motorist confronted the cleaners and received a bucket of water soaking for his troubles. A leading dry cleaner was asked to comment and said “that’ll come out (the water). Every time. Just leave to dry...”

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think we’re fed this line so routinely over such a long period that we all trot this stereotypical commentary out without thinking ie we now believe it. We can’t see it for what it is: people enjoying themselves in a large group meaning statistically there’s going to be a few who go a bit far. As is the case at Xmas parties, Awards shows and if you want to go back further, Viking feasts. Was ever thus. The main difference is a today there are millions of people standing ready on social media to express constant outrage and things that would never get mentioned 20 years ago. I think there’s a name for it. Click bait?
20 years ago nobody would have filmed it and nobody would have complained.

I'm not condoning the actions of dickheads but as you said, in the grand scheme of things (especially in Barcelona FFS) it's really nothing.

This has zero to do with it being Liverpool vs any other club's dickhead fans. If it were Man United, Palace or any other club (us included) I'd see it the same, in that I'd have liked to see the bloke who was pushed in turn round and spark the **** out.

But the point is that the "outrage" is completely off the scale. It's not exactly a chair luzzing rampage is it?

People with their anti Scouser prejudices are embarrassing themselves on this thread. If you don't think that Brighton fans have behaved in similar dickheadish fashion then you're either extremely naïve or in denial. I've seen it as I'm sure lots of you have.

I don't particularly like Liverpool but the irrational hatred from some people (plus the not very veiled references to "pissed up" "ticketless" "never their fault" etc stuff) is just uneducated, sad bollocks.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't even think it's confined to football – or even sport in general. You only have to look down West Street at chucking out time on a Friday or Saturday night and you see some dreadful behaviour – by men AND women. Many of whom – like the instigator in those videos – who are old enough to know better.

The cause of the problem? Alcohol – simple as that.

Precisely. There’s an annual retro festival near me that couldn’t be more middle class if you tried. Morning after it’s littered with bottles and drink debris. All gets cleared up and field restored to normal within a week or so. No faux outrage. Just the society we live in and an expectation that someone else will clear up after us. But it’s pretty standard as festivals go where hundreds of people are drinking and having a good time = mess afterwards!

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
The only time in my life, I have ever been pickpocketed was in M&S in Brighton.

I can trump that.
The only time in my life I have ever been held up at knifepoint was in 1980, in Stanley Park Liverpool, as we walked back to my car from having watched BHA play Liverpool at Anfield.
They were after my mate's sheepskin coat.

I'm not sure either of our experiences contributes much to the debate on this thread.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
What a refreshing outlook you have.

Why can't you see embarrassing, anti-social behaviour for what it is? I'm not saying there aren't bigger stories but the fact you don't see an issue with it is baffling...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a refreshing outlook you have.

Why can't you see embarrassing, anti-social behaviour for what it is? I'm not saying there aren't bigger stories but the fact you don't see an issue with it is baffling...

It is one fan and one member of the public, unlike the title of the thread. It is over the top outrage.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I can trump that.
The only time in my life I have ever been held up at knifepoint was in 1980, in Stanley Park Liverpool, as we walked back to my car from having watched BHA play Liverpool at Anfield.
They were after my mate's sheepskin coat.

I'd have put an APB out to all local independent motor forecourts. Almost certain it ended up on a car dealer. :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What do you mean by that?

Huge numbers of stag and hen parties from all over Europe, loads of vice, huge amounts of petty crime I.e. they see far worse on a daily basis so why this is suddenly a massive drama is perplexing. Unless there’s an alternative motive of course.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not my experience :thumbsup:

Mine neither, except the petty street crime is everywhere as per the warning signs and I’ve seen it too. But you only need to listen to the locals complaints about foreign vice and mass tourism and they’re far from happy about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here