Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Grimsby 2003 anyone recognise themselves

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was there remember it as quite a warm day - some enormous bloke in home stand with no shirt on baiting the away fans is all I can remember

Yes, it was a beautiful day - probably historically so for Cleethorpes - spoiled by the results.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was there but not in that picture.
Shitty day out, I prefer to remember the Port Vale game, now that was a proper away day, especially in the pub near the ground.
I can't remember who the 'going down' player was but I don't think it was Jay Tabb.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was just to the left of that lot (I'm not in the picture). I recognise several. The left half of my face got badly sunburned that afternoon. One of my last 'flying squad' weekends till Liverpool last season.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Several of us went up on the Friday and spent two nights in Skegness. Stayed at the grungiest dodgiest B & B ever. The owner had four generations of his dysfunctional family living there plus permanent residents down on their luck. The owner had kicked the wife of one resident out a couple of weeks before & she hadn't been seen since. The husband didn't seem concerned. Nobody asked why she was booted. Best we didn't know. It was depressing enough.

The place was a comedy farce - only it wasn't funny. Around 4am on the Sunday morning there was a huge commotion from somewhere else in the house. Another guest had come in pissed, crashed out and left a tap running which resulted in water gushing through the downstairs ceiling.

After escaping Skegness, we headed to Cleethorpes. A day that started with hope soon turned desperate. Once the news came through Stoke were winning, despondency set in. All in all a shit weekend.

It was the first time I'd been to Skegness & Grimsby. I intend it to be the last.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
This just popped up on my F/B timeline

Great weekend away in Cleethorpes but a crap result

5d07c616ce9a6e6898a1fd55cd6dd506.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I am extreme bottom left, obscured slightly by the corner-flag...My dad is to my left and my brother the next along in the England shirt.

We were relegated that day and Michael Keane gave it the "going down" gesture to us following a goal...If I remember he was on-loan from Preston and when then PNE manager, Craig Brown learned what Keane had done, he fined him.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Several of us went up on the Friday and spent two nights in Skegness. Stayed at the grungiest dodgiest B & B ever. The owner had four generations of his dysfunctional family living there plus permanent residents down on their luck. The owner had kicked the wife of one resident out a couple of weeks before & she hadn't been seen since. The husband didn't seem concerned. Nobody asked why she was booted. Best we didn't know. It was depressing enough.

The place was a comedy farce - only it wasn't funny. Around 4am on the Sunday morning there was a huge commotion from somewhere else in the house. Another guest had come in pissed, crashed out and left a tap running which resulted in water gushing through the downstairs ceiling.

After escaping Skegness, we headed to Cleethorpes. A day that started with hope soon turned desperate. Once the news came through Stoke were winning, despondency set in. All in all a shit weekend.

It was the first time I'd been to Skegness & Grimsby. I intend it to be the last.

We stayed in Louth which wasn't too bad. It wasn't good, but it wasn't too bad.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was there, but not a wizards hat nor rock God locks to be seen in that pic.

I was probably in the bar, in my Tales from Topographic Oceans t-shit, shagging all the fit women.

Or perhaps not.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not in the photo, but remember wearing face paint that day and it was frigging hot and I was melting, I mean why? what was I thinking? Maybe I was enjoying makeup, or maybe I was pi##ed as a fart.

It was bloody hot, had to tie scarf round head Rambo style to stop face burning!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was there too. Who was that player who scored and ran up to us shouting "going down!!" Keane??

Yep that was him, I quite happily could have ripped his throat out for doing that. Was right in front of me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Can't see myself in that particular photo but my sister and brother in law saw me on a Sky TV clip after the game standing looking forlorn on the terracing.It's a bloody long way to Grimsby (Cleethorpes.)Get to bloody Leeds almost then about 50 miles east. As someone else said though, great fish and chips but awful beer. I seem to remember bumping into some Portsmouth fans at Toddington or similar on the way home. I think they had just won a promotion to the top flight and ,as we'd drawn 2-2, we'd been relegated.Was that Bobby Zamoras last game for us prior to his return in the Amex years?
Yes we met the Pompey fans on the way back at a service station as well.
It looked like it might get messy but one of the lads I worked with was on their bus so it all calmed down luckily.
Cleethorpes was alright and I know a couple on here were involved in a street fight with Grimsby fans on the main road along the seafront on the Saturday afternoon.
It was like a scene out of a western !!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Stood in the urinal next to a bloke dressed as a nun.
Took the wife and kids to the game ( they were not impressed), and we stopped off in Mablethorpe on the way back.
What a dreadful game and a crap fishy smelling place.
We were playing well, winning, thinking we were staying up, and then we found out Stoke had scored to send us down. Then Grimsby equalised I think

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I was there. Got a speeding ticket on the way up too. Not the best day

Ditto - the OB must've had a feeding frenzy on us!! Anyway, that was the only 3 points we got that weekend. Stayed at the Leaking Boot (I think it was called that) which served as the away fans base. Luckily I was shitfaced most of the time but one toilet shared by a dozen blokes...well, you can imagine the carnage.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Four of us spent a cracking long weekend up there.

Contrary to popular belief, Grimsby and Cleethorpes are great places, I even lived there for a couple of years. Some of it’s a bit run down but great fun.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Think that weekend confirmed our relegation.

It was the last game of the season, so no coming back after that!

I took my kids up for the weekend. Stayed in a caravan park on a Sun £9.95 deal and quite enjoyed it apart from the football. I remember a shirtless and glum looking Gary Hart appearing through the throng on the pitch after the game. I’ve no idea why I went on the pitch!

The weekend was finished off by me taking the kids to Paradise Park and making myself ill on one of the rides. The kids knew I wasn’t faking it when I bought some doughnuts and let them eat the lot.

I’ve had better end of season days!

Oh. I’m not in the photo.....

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’m a Grimsby fan and remember that weekend well. Michael Keane, on loan from Preston, was the muppet who taunted the Brighton fans with a ‘going down’ sign despite the fact we were already relegated ourselves.

A dark day for both clubs, but evidently our fortunes have differed somewhat since. Did anyone on here play in the fans game on the Saturday before the match? I may have done photos somewhere - I’ll try to dig them out.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I didn’t go to many away games, but I decided I had to go to this one, just in case we did manage to escape relegation. The week before, my wife told me that she had a friend’s party to go to on the same weekend of the game and that she needed the car (we only had one at the time). Therefore, I hired a car which I picked up from Luton airport, drove up to Grimsby, had fish and chips in Cleethorpes for lunch, went to the game, saw us get relegated and drove the car back to luton airport. Not my favourite ever match day experience!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here