Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How positive are you re our chances in the 2016/17 season?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I know you like a song Kosh, so here's one that sums up my feelings on this. The band also have a name that sums up what the team will need next season regardless of how good we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK62tfoCmuQ

Ah - this I like! Great tune... my feeling is this: I don't know why and I blame no one, yet I feel like we're about to be hunted... door creaks open... no surprise package this year... and running against the snarling Wolf is going to be very, very tough...

https://youtu.be/8yO7l6TmIRI

;/

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If we keep Kayal, Stephens, Dunk and sign two quality strikers then I am very confident.

If not then I fear mid table to play offs at best.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
-- It's way too early to form a view (even the start of the season will be too early as the transfer window doesn't close for at least three further weeks.
-- While I recognise the OP has drafted a nuanced response, there are contradictory bits in it, including being concerned that there are no noises coming from the club, and no news being good news.
-- I'm not so concerned about losing Ewan Chester during this window, as I'd imagine most of the lists of potential targets have been drawn up already. If he was pivotal, it may well be an issue for the next window, but I think we're in good hands with TB, CH, PB and PW to identify a decent replacement.
-- My only current observation is that price tags on players in general and strikers in particular are ridiculously high; most will have to come down a little, but this means that I suspect that we might be breaking our transfer fee record in this window.

Good points one and all. I've tried to be balanced, hence the contradiction, the problem is my fear that we will be picked clean this close season. Whilst I state I'm sure we will retain both our CMs for example, one leaving would represent a titanic loss especially re the form we showed when either was out last season! Picking up another Stephen's will not be an easy task, and God forbid trying to replace Kayal.

Granted this may well not happen, and we could lose one to injury anyway, but this is one of the most important pre-season's we have faced in modern times. On this point, there will be no contradiction.

Kosh

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not confident at all,nor will I be all the time Barber is counting the pennies,We should won the league doing hand stands ,just needed that final piece of the jigsaw January.
I'll go as far as to say,we will not make the premier league all the time Barber is CEO.
Brainless post of the close season so far.

Like him or loath him, Barber has just won CEO of the year and he is a very good negotiator. Bloom, the ultimate poker player, trusts him implicitly , he is the best in the business.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it is ridiculous to base how well you think we will do next year on the silence over transfers. Especially if you've been on this board since 2003.

Every year we get threads throughout June and into July bemoaning the lack of activity. Some years it's foretelling a squad not good enough, sometimes it's a calm before a storming line up of signings, sometimes it's foretelling nothing.

Having said that, I am still not over last year, and have very low opinion of our chances next season. The recent announcement about promoting kids in the cup games has me a little weary of what it means for the club's plans for our squad - I don't want one that is thin on experienced quality for back up, that won't suffer the way we did this past season from injuries and suspensions. Yes, I'd like to see some of the youngsters force their way in, but I don't think they should be our plan B.

That we were 8 points clear at one point, that we were division top scorers, that we spent more time in the top spot than any other club, that we failed to win more than one game against the top 6, that we struggle so much when the cameras are on, that when we knew we had to win we couldn't, has me questioning whether our club/team have the character to see it over the line.

This past season, we also had the advantage that for a large part of it, people underestimated us. We struggled the season before, so people didn't expect much from us, when we started this past season really well, people dismissed our success - we never played anyone good. Etc. We won't have that this coming year.

Then we factor in the ever increasing number of clubs with parachute payments, and top clubs that are expected to do well. Villa were a complete joke last year, but they are getting a new owner who is willing to spend, and has a champions league winning manager they currently look on the road to turning it around and being a major threat next season. Newcastle have a champions league winning manager, and an owner who views being in the premier league as pretty much his only marker of success. They have got out of this division before and with their resources should be another major threat. Norwich seem to be following the West Brom pattern of relegation, promotion, relegation, promotion ... promotion solidify in the premier league. They may not have been strong last year, but they again are experienced at getting out of this division.

Then you have Derby who have been there or thereabouts for the last few seasons, and now have Pearson. Sheffield Wednesday would expect to be up there again. Ipswich will be up there or thereabouts, and so should be QPR now they've settled into the championship again.

Yes, every year there are teams you expect to do well that struggle, but there's also a team that does better than expected. So maybe I'm wrong, and the new owners of Villa will turn out to be as good at the job as the Venkys, but their expected place at the top will be taken by an unexpected team like Barnsley or Bristol City.

This past season we showed did better in the transfer market, probably aided by the increase in FFP limits to 13m. With the new set up this coming season giving us a bit of leeway to go over that, perhaps we will sign a better quality players to make up for the players let go and any we lose over the summer, but we are still competing in a division where many of the other teams still have the benefit of parachute payments.

So, the lack of current activity isn't making me pessimistic about next season, it's lots of other things.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Umm our success rate in signing decent Championship strikers is of concern to me. I am sure the recruitment team will be trying very hard as well but as things stand we are short up front.

Ulloa, Murray, Hemed, Zamora - we haven't done THAT badly, have we!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As unexpected as our fabulous season was last time so it will be the same but in reverse this season. In and out of relegation places for most of it ... last game win needed to stay up.

Only joking. :tumble:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We have just finished a season with a side who if we had only lost 2-0 instead of 3-0 at home to Boro would've been promoted. We finished with one of the highest totals ever for 3rd place in the 2nd tier. If we keep the same squad or at least starting 11 then we have an excellent chance.

If we had another left back last season then I don't think our mid-season dip would've been so severe and we probably would've been promoted already. We are only a pacey striker away from storming our way to the title, but may have to settle for a slugging battle again next season.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I am generally quite optimistic on our squad and our ability to recruit well. However, as [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] says above, any pessimism is borne out of concern for how strong our rivals might be.

I always believe in progression so the top 2 has to be the target. Whilst other clubs have superior resources, we already have in place the nucleus of a squad that not only comfortably finished 3rd, but came within a whisker of being promoted.

As it currently stands, we have the excellent Liam Rosenior who would get into most Championship squads. In addition we have Bruno who was voted as the best right-back in the division by his peers. There is Dunk & Goldson who are one of the best centre-back pairings in the Championsip...And in Stephens & Kayal we have probably the best midfield partnership outside the Premier League.

We also have strongest collection of wingers going and must be the envy of most other clubs. Whilst it is obvious we need further striking options, it is also worth remembering that we were stop scorers in the division last season. Plus Tomer Hemed notching 17 goals in his first year in English football is pretty decent.

So all in all we are in pretty good shape, we just need to make some smart signings and we will be good to go but a good start is paramount for next term.

As for the lack of transfer news, there is nothing to worry about just yet as it is early days and it is not as if the transfer market is in full-swing anyway. Plus, from the club tweet the day after the Sheffield Wednesday game, everyone is already working towards the new season already.

So in short, there is a lot to be optimistic about...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Brainless post of the close season so far.

Like him or loath him, Barber has just won CEO of the year and he is a very good negotiator. Bloom, the ultimate poker player, trusts him implicitly , he is the best in the business.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm very pleased Paul won CEO of the year,as I've said elsewhere ,Burnley,Boro and Hull must be devastated ,the point I'm making is this club WILL NOT REACH THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITH barber as our CEO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I'm very pleased Paul won CEO of the year,as I've said elsewhere ,Burnley,Boro and Hull must be devastated ,the point I'm making is this club WILL NOT REACH THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITH barber as our CEO.

Why will we not get there?
What qualities are you so certain PB is missing to get us there?
Is it just an uninformed hunch, or can you demonstrate a flaw in PB's strategy?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Did you watch the Boro game then ? . Must have been a dreadful bore for you knowing how it was going to turn out .

Did you watch the Boro game then ? . Must have been a dreadful bore for you knowing how it was going to turn out .

I did,and I knew long before the Boro game how things were going to turn out,from about the first of Feb it was obvious we hadn't "strengthened from a position of strength "
There'll be a lot of old guff in the summer about what a great pre season we've had,a new # ,a guest pie to die for and news of an award for the best after match party thrown for a victorious visiting team.
The Albion snore will continue to rim Barber and the whole cycle repeats itself.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously it is too early to tell, but I don't think we are likely to challenge the top 2 in any case. My suspicion is that we have too many key players that need replacing and regardless of how good the replacements are, they will take a bit of time to gel. Top 6 is not out of the question though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it is ridiculous to base how well you think we will do next year on the silence over transfers. Especially if you've been on this board since 2003.

Every year we get threads throughout June and into July bemoaning the lack of activity. Some years it's foretelling a squad not good enough, sometimes it's a calm before a storming line up of signings, sometimes it's foretelling nothing.

Having said that, I am still not over last year, and have very low opinion of our chances next season. The recent announcement about promoting kids in the cup games has me a little weary of what it means for the club's plans for our squad - I don't want one that is thin on experienced quality for back up, that won't suffer the way we did this past season from injuries and suspensions. Yes, I'd like to see some of the youngsters force their way in, but I don't think they should be our plan B.

That we were 8 points clear at one point, that we were division top scorers, that we spent more time in the top spot than any other club, that we failed to win more than one game against the top 6, that we struggle so much when the cameras are on, that when we knew we had to win we couldn't, has me questioning whether our club/team have the character to see it over the line.

This past season, we also had the advantage that for a large part of it, people underestimated us. We struggled the season before, so people didn't expect much from us, when we started this past season really well, people dismissed our success - we never played anyone good. Etc. We won't have that this coming year.

Then we factor in the ever increasing number of clubs with parachute payments, and top clubs that are expected to do well. Villa were a complete joke last year, but they are getting a new owner who is willing to spend, and has a champions league winning manager they currently look on the road to turning it around and being a major threat next season. Newcastle have a champions league winning manager, and an owner who views being in the premier league as pretty much his only marker of success. They have got out of this division before and with their resources should be another major threat. Norwich seem to be following the West Brom pattern of relegation, promotion, relegation, promotion ... promotion solidify in the premier league. They may not have been strong last year, but they again are experienced at getting out of this division.

Then you have Derby who have been there or thereabouts for the last few seasons, and now have Pearson. Sheffield Wednesday would expect to be up there again. Ipswich will be up there or thereabouts, and so should be QPR now they've settled into the championship again.

Yes, every year there are teams you expect to do well that struggle, but there's also a team that does better than expected. So maybe I'm wrong, and the new owners of Villa will turn out to be as good at the job as the Venkys, but their expected place at the top will be taken by an unexpected team like Barnsley or Bristol City.

This past season we showed did better in the transfer market, probably aided by the increase in FFP limits to 13m. With the new set up this coming season giving us a bit of leeway to go over that, perhaps we will sign a better quality players to make up for the players let go and any we lose over the summer, but we are still competing in a division where many of the other teams still have the benefit of parachute payments.

So, the lack of current activity isn't making me pessimistic about next season, it's lots of other things.

Quite clearly, you are not over last season. I think you're right in saying that things will prove tougher next year especially with the three relegated teams, Newcastle especially. That's a trope that gets trotted out every summer, but in the past it hasn't proved too accurate as the relegated clubs have all too frequently struggled to bounce straight back, or even back. Given that two out of the three relegated clubs did bounce back last season, combined with the increased PL money and parachute payments, we may well be edging, or even marching, towards a new era on this front. Derby have a ridiculously strong squad, and Pearson is a strong, experienced and successful choice. I'm not that convinced by the others you mention though, maybe Sheff Wed, but QPR are going nowhere, and Ipswich don't exactly have the strongest squad, nor are they big spenders, their success of late has been in no small part due to Murphy's goals and they've declined, which will in all likelihood continue as he ages. There may well be an outsider or even two.

What we need to do is to keep our squad together and hope that movements out are no more than one and, hopefully, Winstanley and Hughton have identified the players that we'll need up-front to either get in the top two or at least perform better in the play-offs. On which, I think you've been really harsh to question the character of the players particularly with regard to the play-offs. The conditions prior to and within the Sheff Wed legs were massively loaded in their favour.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
After the previous season I would have taken finishing over halve way up or down in the leauge the team performed fantastically and nearly archived TB 5 year project.
I'll wait and see who stays who goes and who joins our great club.
With some of the passion showen by the team also the fans in the last few games which I hope we can replicate from the start of the season we may be able to beat were we finished last season.
But Football a funny old game however I am looking forward to the fixtures coming out. The big 3 who came down from the premier will find the championship a tough league. Keep the faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here