Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Shane Duffy is exactly the type of player who David Moyes signs. He's good in a certain team, which West Ham certainly are. I think that's where he's going to end up. Whether we can get £10m for him now I'm not sure, but I do think he'll end up at West Ham. Maybe he won't actually get to play too much, but he's not become a bad player overnight and he's certainly not Finnish. He's only 29.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Shane Duffy is exactly the type of player who David Moyes signs. He's good in a certain team, which West Ham certainly are. I think that's where he's going to end up. Whether we can get £10m for him now I'm not sure, but I do think he'll end up at West Ham. Maybe he won't actually get to play too much, but he's not become a bad player overnight and he's certainly not Finnish. He's only 29.

I completely agree with this and think he'd be quite a good fit there (very similar to Dawson who has been superb this season).

It would be a bit of a step up for Duffers though seeing as he's just had one of the most catastrophic seasons you could imagine. West Ham look set for European football one way or another. I think it is much more likely that he heads to the Championship for £5m or less.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I think we’ll have to sell him for something similar to what we paid for him. We’d need a sell-on fee and some huge appearance bonuses or Premier League promotion bonus to get anywhere near £10m.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I completely agree with this and think he'd be quite a good fit there (very similar to Dawson who has been superb this season).

It would be a bit of a step up for Duffers though seeing as he's just had one of the most catastrophic seasons you could imagine. West Ham look set for European football one way or another. I think it is much more likely that he heads to the Championship for £5m or less.

I think we’ll have to sell him for something similar to what we paid for him. We’d need a sell-on fee and some huge appearance bonuses or Premier League promotion bonus to get anywhere near £10m.

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about the fee. He's paid us back every penny of what we paid for him. I think he's a £10m Premier League centre back based on his experience, but I do agree it's going to be very difficult to get that fee for him now. Clubs will be hyperaware of our desire to sell him, not least because we have Leo Ostigard and Matt Clarke both coming back in. It will be very difficult for us to demand the fee the player probably warrants and we might get tucked up a bit on whatever deal sees him leave but sometimes it's just best for the club and the player.

Whatever happens, I will remember Shane Duffy as being a key player in our promotion to and survival in the Premier League. He won the Player of the Season award in the Premier League and deservedly so. He was a mountain for us every single time he played and I hope he gets his career back on track.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The problem is his contract - he has two years left on his current contract at £45K a week - that's £2.34million a year. There is no way anyone is going to pay him that kind of money at the moment - he'd be lucky to get a third of it - and that would still be big money for a Championship club. Duffy can sit on the bench for two years and keep drawing the pay cheque. To get rid of him Brighton are going to have to pay something towards off-loading the contract or loan him out to get someone to subsidise some of his wages.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is Duffy back with us ? Saw some Celtic fans suggest he wasn’t in Scotland anymore and just noticed on Instagram he is playing golf at the Grove

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I didn't say it when he was Player of the Season, no, nor did I vote for him. B that was three seasons ago. His form has dropped in that time, just as much our style of play has changed. He may well be a sold acquisition for Burnley, West Brom or Newcastle but aren't we supposed to be aiming just a tiny bit higher than a relagated team, our arch rivals, Newcastle un-United and the divisions's smash-and-grab side?

I agree he’s not for us anymore. I never suggested otherwise.

I said he’s not a ball playing defender. But that doesn’t make him a bad one. He just needs the right team.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

No he's not , but he is Irish , and he is 29

Coxovi

NSC Patreon
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
How Shane could have done so badly at Celtic is hard to understand. He was excellent for us with his partnership with Dunk. This for me proves the maxim that players are as good as their team mates allow them to be, which is why the money paid for "top players" is mental. In every sport you see so many players taken out of the place where they are flourishing only to fail where they are asked to achieve the same in completely different surroundings. Star worship makes people forget too quickly that it is a team of 11, and if a forward is starved of service, or a defender left exposed too often, they are judged harshly.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure he'll be off in the summer, maybe on loan. His time with us seems up.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Is Duffy back with us ? Saw some Celtic fans suggest he wasn’t in Scotland anymore and just noticed on Instagram he is playing golf at the Grove

Out injured, and returned to sender.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1390669585972670470[/TWEET]

Back training with the club.

Wonder if there will be a last bench appearance before the season is out?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pictures of him imbibing at the 19th are there?

shane.gif

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here